Best boat for salmon fishin

Yup, go used. Great time of year to get a deal. If your going to fish, either get a boat with autopilot or save the funds. It takes fishing to a whole new level of enjoyment and saves a marriage :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Keep watching for a good deal.  When we decided to get back on the lake fishing 4 years ago, we found a 22' sea ray with only 20 hours on it for 23k.  It was literally brand new and included a nice trailer.  Then it cost another 7k or so to set up for fishing.  Its an IO and I don't like working around the box when setting lines, but in the end, it does what we need it to do and was a steal.  I agree with those that recommend against a new boat.  Way too much depreciation those first few years (days actually). 

• 1 year later...
Buying new is a HORRIBLE investment regarding what you will receive back when you sell it. Worse than cars. Buy at the bottom of the value curve, put a little sweat equity into her and you can sell to a new owner similar to what you payed for it.
Maybe. It depends. I have bought 2 new boats. A 24' Wellcraft and a 19' Alumacraft. The Alumacraft is holding its value pretty well, as it was a leftover. The Wellcraft was a different story. $25 grand will get you a 16' Tracker, or a new boat OR a new motor, but not both...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

any boat you buy needs to be water tested. DONT BUY IN COLD WEATHER. I bought my last boat in cold weather and wasnt able to put it on the water. big mistake. it sounded good on the trailer. but ended up buying a new motor.

I have a 21' cobia open bow and its great on erie. but I wish it was an outboard. you can fish later and earlier in the yr with an outboard. you can boat all yr with an outboard. I/o has to be above freezing to use it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fat Trout said:

Hard to have used boats if someone isn't first. A bit much to trash the those guys. We're all out there to have fun.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was starting to feel like a very  stupid person who made a huge mistake while reading this thread since I purchased new.  Having a 6 year warranty on everything in the boat and having a lifetime warranty on the hull were well worth the price to me.    I have purchased a used before and regretted it.    I could care less about depreciation, this will be my last boat and when I'm done with it someone else will get a nice boat at a fair price.

I was starting to feel like a very  stupid person who made a huge mistake while reading this thread since I purchased new.  Having a 6 year warranty on everything in the boat and having a lifetime warranty on the hull were well worth the price to me.    I have purchased a used before and regretted it.    I could care less about depreciation, this will be my last boat and when I'm done with it someone else will get a nice boat at a fair price.
Love your name. Im eyeing a NEW one of those right now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

31 minutes ago, Fishmaster 196 said:

Spot on.

The person that started the thread asked what kind  of boat for salmon fishing, 

I think if one has had a few boats in their lives, learned what meets their needs, what works for them and what does not, and drilled down to the nitty gritty for their needs, buying a new boat may not be a bad deal. The warranty deals are a huge benefit on new equipment. If one is just starting out, I feel as if buying new might be a gamble. A really nice fishing platform that is built to be rugged, seaworthy and long lasting is big $$. Needs change over time and that big $$ boat might not be what is needed and then the owner is stuck trying to recoup the cost in selling it.

look at a Northcoast  235 cabin its small  enough  to trailer around and give you the protection of a cabin and  has all that you need  for great lakes  fishing look around for a used one , but I will tell you  they   don't last long  usually  they sell right away. Take a day trip to the factory  in Bristol RI    you will be impressed at the quality and workmanship