Tournament Style/Format  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Tournament Style/Format

• Biggest 3 Fish
    • Biggest 6 Fish
    • Grand Slam (BT,LT,Steelie,Salmon)
    • Grand Slam (BT,LT,Steelie,Salmon) w/ 1 Kicker
    • Other - Please explain.....

So, just to spark a discussion we were thinking about how we could put on a tournement in Rochester with a format unlike the rest of the tourneys poppin up around the lake. So, a few options a few of us tossed around are on a poll. If you choose other please share your idea.

The three biggest (seems to be the norm)

The six biggest

The Grand Slam would be something like 1 of each species (BT, LT, Salmon, and Steelie), or maybe 1 of each and a fifth your choice?

I think it should be like redfish tournaments... three salmon between 20 - 25 lbs only allowed :)

Otherwise, I'd say three biggest fish if pros/ams are in the same division. If seperate divisions, I'd say biggest 6 for pros biggest 4 for ams. Pros can only keep 6 fish, ams can only keep 4. Live release only.

Nick

Biggest three with an emphasis on a minimum weight of individual fish like a derby might have might not so large that you exclude people catching smaller fish which the day might dictate... Maybe 8lbs for trout and 15 lbs for kings and 8lbs for coho...

If your looking for something different then do a tourney like they do out here on lake champlain. On top of biggest fish, they have a cold water division which gives you the choice of different fish you can catch but you need two different species. To make it fit Lake O style you could say you can catch any of the grand slam fish but in you limit of 6 you need atleast two different species. That way if you have a lot of steelies around but the rest are hard to come by you can atleast weigh in 5 fish but those who can happen to get a salmon, brown or lt, can have that one fish on top of the other 5 giving them the extra points

keep it simple.........

something like ....one day event, 100% payback , payout 40% 1st, 30% 2nd and 20% 3rd place with 10% largest overall fish. 3 biggest (heaviest)fish of the day can be weighted in -any species or combo of salmon and trout. This gives everyone a chance, even a guy out by himself. keep entry fee low like $100/boat. run the contest after the Sodus pro/am but before the fall LOC.

I second "keep it simple".

I'd like to see it attract the little guy. (like me) I don't know how it fits into anyone's schedule but I'd like to see it before Memorial Day when the ragboats & others start hitting the river or the Genny launch. I'd suggest something like this:

Rules of the "Pen-Genny"

NYS license, laws

Where to register: ???? (mail???)

Date: Some Saturday Early-Mid May, Weather date, following Saturday

Honor System, legally caught whole fish

Soloists allowed

Open communications

Fishing Time: 6AM-2PM

Fee: $25 donation to Genny pen project per person (not per boat)

Targets: Atlantic, Brown, Chinook, Coho, Laker, Rainbow/Steelhead

Min weights: Trout & Coho – 6 Lbs; Chinook – 12 Lbs

Prizes:

Heaviest fish entered – Trophy + 15% of gate + picture of winner getting a smootch from YT’s brother’s girlfriend on the left hand side of this site. (or YT if winner is female, provided he's had his rabies shot) :lol:

2nd place – plaque + 5% of gate

Highest total weight of one man’s limit – Trophy + 15% of gate

2nd place – plaque + 5% of gate

Ties decided by coin toss by weigh-master

10% of gate for awards, blind draw prizes & weigh-master (unless donated, then add 5% to the 1st places); 50% for Pen project

Weigh in station – Parking Lot at Genny launch

Weigh in hours: 1:00-3:00PM

Legal disclaimer???

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Here's my two cents:

1.) Make it a Pro-Am format with separate divisions - there's a lot of amateur fishermen(women) out of the Rochester area and I think they'd be more willing to participate if they had separate pro and amateur divisions.

2.) Make it 100% payout

3.) Have the weigh in area at a separate location from any boat launches. i.e. at a park such as Durand Eastman Park or Charlotte Beach area (to avoid a last minute boat bottleneck at the Genesee launch from lots of cars and people in the parking lot).

4.) Points for number of fish caught and total weight of the fish, with the fish having to fit NYS DEC minimum length requirements and NYS DEC creel limit for a four man crew on each boat

I'd love to participate - I think it would be great and perhaps a chance to get some local sponsorship, maybe even some press coverage, from the Rochester area

- Chris

I'm surprised! I thought you guys would support the "grand slam" concept. There were a lot of 3 fish tourneys on the lake this summer. The Oak is struggling to hit 20 boats with theirs, and there are a lot of boats fishing out of there right now.

I thought the opportunity to show the diverse fishing off Rochester would be something to help draw people to our waters. I mean you can really go off Rochester at any point and get into any 4 of the species. It would also make people more diverse by having them fish for those others species.

But whatever format would produce the best showing is what we should lean towards. I like keeping it simple like Steve said, and he has way more experience under his belt than I do when it comes to fishing out there.

Rick,

I talked to Matt yesterday and the idea of a grand slam is great. You couldn't ask for a better port to pull that off. My input was to weigh in the best of each of the 4 species w/ your biggest "kicker" fish. IF you do this, you would receive an extra 50 pts. I don't think we need another pro-am format. 4 is enough. To be attractive, this needs to be a different style format to set it apart from the rest.

Talk to ya later.

Dude, if I wanted to catch brown trout, I'd fish more pro-ams ;)

Being serious though, I think there are a lot of us that don't really like targeting "different species". I for one could care less if I ever catch anything other than a king. Don't get me wrong, I'll put a spoon out for steelhead or browns while looking for kings to supplement the action, but I really hate trying for just steelies, or just browns, or just lakers :)

Nick

How about a tourney like KING ME was talking about and a separate summer long Grand Slam type tourney. I think it is a great idea to have the big fish bonus that King Me was talking about. I will vote for the 3 fish format first but would love to see both as separate tournies. I like the grand slam style tourney because it forces you to be a diverse fisherman.

I am just one of many fisherman who only go out on week ends and occasional holiday. I will fish any tournament if the format is fair for every guy or gal out there. I will not fish anymore tournaments where i am up against charters. I am an amature and i will always be an amature. I do not have the rig, the equipment or the knowledge of the lake like you charter captains. It's like bowling and you have a 150 average and the guy you are up against has a 200 average. Without the 80% handicap you have a slim to no chance a beating him but with 40 pins you have a chance and the 200 guy will still beat you 7 out of 10 times but you have a chance.

Keep your tourneys pro/am and you will get more supporters and entries regarless if its a grand slam, 3 biggest or like they do in Erie they have what they call a calcata. This is an extra pot for the single largest or 3 heaviest where here it could be the largest BT, another for largest Laker, largest steelie.

Keep it simple but fair for all and it will be a success. Do a 2 day tourney or a one day $100/boat with side pots additional $100/boat.

MY TWO CENTS...........

I like the "masters of the Lake" format of multiple species. A true testament to your skill as a fisherman by having to work four different programs for four different species. However, considering the different parts of the lake each species is found in, it may exclude the small boat fisherman with steelhead being out deep.

Gill-T,

I agree. Having to travel from say 50' for a brown to 120" for a laker to 600' for a steel and a king somewhere inbetween would be alot for 1 day. Can and has been done but 3 cons to this ......#1 gas prices, time constraints, and the limited amount of "excitement" or entry from guys with smaller boats.

Take the biggest three fish you have and anybody has a chance. I have seen 3 lakers bigger than 3 kings and ANYBODY has a chance.

Just tossing around ideas and thoughts. Seeking input for everyone.