new sled for shanty

bondouley

Anyone ever replace the sled on their shanty before?  I have a 1 man clam and a 2 man otter and both have holes in all 4 corners of the sleds.  Im looking to either patch the holes or replace just the sleds.  Ive had them for 15 yrs so they are worn out from dragging.   Any ideas are appreciated  

You can buy replacement sleds and reattach tent I am in same boat as you as tub has corners worn but tent is getting pretty worn too probably will have to replace for next year I have nylon runners on mine from shappel but towing behind wheeler and pulling across parking lot is tough on tubs

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I'm not sure if the sizes of the sleds are the same or not, hopefully they are. Then it should be just unhook the old one and put the fabric on the new one. Like  others say put skis on the bottom of the new sled or hyfax runners (you can buy the material cheaper than the kits they have and install yourself). I keep my eyes open for old skis in the trash and when they get worn out just put the newer ones on. This way the sled stays nice.

Dave - The sleds can sometimes be quite expensive to make it worthwhile compared with just getting a new shelter and when the model is old they may no longer make or offer the sled itself for sale and the size is not standardized from model to model. Usually the worn areas are at or near the front corners of the sled which makes repairs difficult or next to impossible. Rivets etc. installed on the bottom of the sled cut into the snow and ice making the sled very hard to pull. To compound things nothing seems to adhere to that type of plastic or stand up tothe use given it... flexseal wears right off, other products might appear to fix it but then crack or peel off after the first time out as they don't fully bond with that plastic the sleds are made from. One of the things that might work but I haven't seen tried is some of that black plastic type of driveway crack fixer sealer (comes in caulking tube) if used both inside and outside of the hole. It is very hard and durable on driveways and seems to adhere well just not sure how it would do with that damned sled plastic

Edited by Sk8man

Why couldn’t you put like that cutting board material on each side of the sled countersinking the smaller tapered head machine screws to protect that area?? unless it’s to thin already. I put that material on the front of my uncles, even heated it up to make the curve in the front on each side?? Just a suggestion??

• Like 1

I dont think it will with stand the drag every time out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Dude, it has to work. The guy sawed his boat in half the he flexsealed it and off to the races on the lake he went!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

West System G-Flex epoxy should work too, in combination with plastic runners.  People use the G Flex for plastic kayaks.  I've used it on my flat bottom boat with success.  Of course, I'm not dragging the boat across ice.  But it does get pushed through sand and rock quite a bit.  

Ditto on the G flex. Costs about $35-40.  I tried fiberglassing, flex seal, and patches with epoxy that all failed.  I have not used the G flex on the sled yet but Three years ago, I sealed a very leaky 14' aluminum boat with it. Even filled a 5" crack below the waterline. Sealed all the rivets and seems. Stopped the leaks and did not peal off. Very impressive to hold through all the pounding on the trailer and water.

You need a heat gun to apply it and don't get it on your hands. Wear the latex gloves that come with the kit.