What boat should I buy

Thanks yeah I’ll be fishing Henderson and Sackets Harbor and maybe Oswego some too just didn’t know what to get but the bigger fuel capacity would help out some to

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have the 175 pro guide and love it. The Targa 18 is really nice too but I prefer the narrow gunnels on my 175 then the wide ones on the Targa models. Just seem to have more room inside and you don’t loose that space with anything mounted into the track system. I have the 115 merc tops out about 40mph. Fish Erie and Ontario and it’s handled 5 footers with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My suggestion would be to fish in a few different boats before you decide to buy one. There are some good "used" boats out there for decent prices. As already mentioned, floor plan and layout is a big factor for gear storage and ease of mevement inside the boat.

8 hours ago, ShawnPin said:

I have the 175 pro guide and love it. The Targa 18 is really nice too but I prefer the narrow gunnels on my 175 then the wide ones on the Targa models. Just seem to have more room inside and you don’t loose that space with anything mounted into the track system. I have the 115 merc tops out about 40mph. Fish Erie and Ontario and it’s handled 5 footers with no problems.

I think the wider beam of the 18 would make up for that.

25 minutes ago, ShawnPin said:

It’s only 5” wider. But whatever you like or works best for you. I just didn’t like the rod holders extending into the boat so much but again either boat is super nice.

This point is very important!! My SeaRay doesn’t have the wide gunnel top and I had to make plates to accept the rod holders. Trust me if you don’t need to do this, you will be better off because these plates I made I rounded all the corners ect. I made two sets one set was flush with the gunnels and the others I made the offset into the boat because the ones that are flush with the gunnels you can’t hardly get the pole out of the holder because they are to far out. So I made the plates to the inside now it’s no problem but they are hip bangers on rough days. Being in a aluminum 18’er there will be more rough days than I have have with a 22’ fiberglass cuddy. If I ever have the chance to do it again the next boat will have the broad gunnels, like most fishing boats do. It makes a huge difference!!

• Like 1

I own a 2007 tracker Targa and it a great boat but if I were to buy new I would look into a StarCraft fishmaster or crestliner sportfish deeper can handle more waves and better quality . Very early Targa had some welding problems from the robot at the manufacturers the problem has been fixed along time ago and most of the problems were from people that beat the **** out of them or hitting something

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, jmyers345 said:

It’s a lifetime warranty on them so you can’t go wrong there

You can go wrong there when the boat will be getting fixed and you will be without a boat.  Seriously, do some research on Trackers and their history of hull splitting / leaking issues.  There is nothing worse than missing out on our already short season because of warranty work.

1 hour ago, jmyers345 said:

It’s a lifetime warranty on them so you can’t go wrong there

That just means they will repair it when it breaks it doesn't mean they are any good. There was a person here that had their boat fixed I would be doing some research. Last I knew there was a class action suit against Tracker about this. There isn't a plate aluminum that I would buy for under $30k. If you want plate aluminum look at the west coast builders and prices, there is a reason they cost so much. Sorry but I would never own a Tracker boat even if it was given to me. They are sub-par construction at best. The company knows they have issues but keep manufacturing them that way. I would be looking at Alumacraft, Starweld, Crestliner, SmokerCraft, Starcraft, all of these manufacturers are well known and have lifetime warranties. SmokerCraft and its subsidiaries have the best warranty in the industry, lifetime hull and structure with 6 years on all components, carpet, upholstery, and electronics.

24 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

You can go wrong there when the boat will be getting fixed and you will be without a boat.  Seriously, do some research on Trackers and their history of hull splitting / leaking issues.  There is nothing worse than missing out on our already short season because of warranty work.

How about safety wise too, I wouldn't want to be on that boat when the haul splits. That could be a life or death situation.

Edited by Chas0218

I asked the same question on here mid spring. After reading what was said. I went with the 19 ft flex from starweld. Real similar to targa in layout .Price was close also. Lifetime hull warranty, I got 10 year warranty on evinrude etech, and dealer through in fisherman high top, and cover. 

• 2 weeks later...
As long as I own the boat.!!
I think starcraft, starweld, smokercraft, and sun chaser have transferable hull warranty to 2nd owner.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk