Predator 20/21

whaler1

Interesting story. I hunted coyotes with a guy who used "Dorn dogs" cant remember which breeds made up this breed of dog.
We would sit on a hill or knoll vantage point and start calling coyotes. The dogs would sit by you looking for yotes to show. And when the dogs saw the coyotes the dog would run to engage the coyote with a game of grab ass. And then stop chasing the coyote and start back to where you were and the coyote not to happy with these dogs on their turf would chase the dogs for grab ass .
Coyotes are distracted and focused on the dogs ,not the shooter, and heading in your direction offering opportunity for a shot.
Was a blast .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Some great kills fellas. Nice work. I have a new predator ontop of my hit list. Seen odd tracks in fresh snow creepin around my duck and chicken coops then caught this guy on camrea. Hopefully next weeks warmup will melt some of this snowpack and I can try trapping for the first time. 

BF8748CE-932A-4EF6-9F66-B5BBCBE4FCCC.jpeg

• 2 months later...

I’m reading the book Coyote America. Very in-depth look into coyote history across the US.
Quite interesting how they can actually control their population so when levels are low they produce more offspring. Even if you were able to take out 70% of the population a year their populations would be basically unaffected.
Poison, bounties, trapping, hunting, and anything else we have tried hasn’t stop them from expanding their range as they are very adaptable and eat a wide variety of foods.
Studies show that 60% of their diet is mice and other rodents. Author also said that while they do take some fawns and even some adults deer over time they have little affect on deer populations.
An interesting read on how nature and carrying capacity work in population regulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1