Pond bass

john1947

I have a 1/2 acre pond dug in 2000.its 15 deep in middle.i use a sweetwater aerator 

The pond is loaded with bluegill some 12 in big bass crappie.waterlilles cover shore.

The bass come right up to shore looking for bullfrogs 

A fisherman dream.

If you have the land dig a pond .

20220715_114952.jpg

• Like 2

I have a “seasonal” pond in my backyard. I always wonder if we had it dug out whether it would hold water and be viable and what it would cost. 

I had same thing. It was a 4’ deep muck pond. I dug it out to 12’ and hit ledge rock. After that it wouldn’t hold water good. Got full in spring and would drop 2-3’ in summer.
Drained it and spread bentonite clay with a tractor. Been good ever since. It’s taken the edge off the wife wanting a pool. I realize a lot of people do this to have a place to fish. I intentionally did not put anything in except golden shiners. Now I have better bait than you can buy anywhere for catching BIG fish.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_0073.jpgIMG_0137.jpgIMG_0184.jpgIMG_0315.jpgIMG_1010.jpg
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 10/22/2023 at 11:44 AM, NPike said:

Cool Pond, I  wonder how a few pike would do

They'd eat themselves out of house and home in a year or two.  Pickerel on the other hand, after getting some BG going would be a cool experiment!

I get a couple ducks now and then but my dog keeps them run off.  I added a few blue gill this year. Hopefully they can cut down on some of the aquatic insects and leeches that have developed over the years. I don’t want anything that can hurt the baitfish population. 

• 3 months later...

I realize this is an old thread but would love to comment, and perhaps even get a reply or two... I see guys with 1/2 acre ponds, bass in them, and one posted a cost of $5000.. Fair enough.. I have tried for YEARS to find someone to do it, NO interest really, and they finally after  many calls and inquiries, I found 2 different  doze operators/contractors, and each one wanted close to $20,000 dollars!!!.. Thats for about 1/4 to 1/3 an acre!!!. Tiny pond. Not even 1/2 acre... Needles to say, I still don't have a pond.. Maybe  i don't get it, but can't, a 1/2 acre pond be dug in a weekend?.. Do these guys REALLY need  $10,000 a day to run their dozer??... bob

Candor NY... Lots of guys with dozers  around here, but the prices were astronomical. From what I have been told, , $20,000 is a  more than fair price for a pond the size of a big swimming pool.. Guess I'm not going to be getting a pond dug...

Talk to the County Soil and Water Conservation District about construction, they may have a contractor who is reasonable.  The easiest way to get out of a job you don't want to do is to overbid.   And be sure to tak to the Regional DEC office before you do anything with fish, you need a permit.

I spent $4,000 to have my 1/4 acre pond dug out from 4’ to 12’ in the center. It took 10 hours in one day. Had it been 1/2 acre digging out all 12’ it would have been at least 3 days and 12-15k. 

Here’s what I can tell you if you want to bring the cost down. 

1. Find a good excavator operator. I did not bring in a dozer. A good operator will be able to slope the sides with his bucket. This will cut your equipment in half. Make sure it’s a good size machine. Get in there with at least a 3’ bucket and hog it out.

2. Do you have room on your property for the spoils? The number one cost would be hauling dirt off location. The farther the haul the more trucks you need or your excavator will be sitting. You wouldn’t believe how many tri axle loads will come out of a 1/2 acre pond. I took 35 loads out of mine and it’s was already 4’ deep. I ran 2 trucks dumping in the corner of my property.