Brown Trout Distribution in Lake O

Curious where the brown trout densities are the highest on the east end of the lake? We were up in early April for browns and did well to the west of Sodus Bay when the weather allowed us to fish. From the info I have gathered on this site that early spring bite down there is due to water temps. Are there more fish there compared to up in the Mexico area though? Is this strictly based on stocking levels in different parts of the lake? Or are these browns moving long distances in order to put themselves in the ideal location at various points in the season? 

Browns are pretty much homebodies compared to salmon. They are more like a walleye in terms of habitat and hunting strategies. Warmer more Eutrophic water with a flow nearby and you can probably find them. 

• Like 1

Copy that. Trying to decide where to spend some time in October doing some trolling in the lake or hitting some of the tributary mouths. Seems like where they are stocked is where they stay according to your response. We have done okay up near the Salmon River mouth area also for browns. After the good fishing this past April near Sodus though I am having a hard time thinking about not going to check it out again this fall and instead heading up to the Mexico area. Thanks for the response! 

Nearshore structure are the best holding places for browns. Haven’t fished Oswego much but I believe there is some great shoreline down there. Browns in the lake tend to stay as close to shore as possible, temperature permitting,  which is why areas with structure nearshore tend to produce better especially in Summer and Fall. In Spring, any warm water outlet or sometimes beaches can be good that warm faster. Structure areas will produce in Spring too, especially if there is a stream nearby that warms the water slightly. They can travel some long distance in the lake unlike when they are stocked in streams. Tagged browns in Canada have been found on the south shore. I think they settle more in areas with better structure that regularly hold bait around the lake as opposed to offshore salmon and steelhead that travel with the current and bait. Here in ROC, I’m going east or west if targeting browns and have not had great success with anything in between for browns, minus early Spring. In clear water in the Spring, I will target any water that has color no matter where it is. Hope that helps. 

Edited by Sweet Caroline

Appreciate the response. That info about the tagged Canadian fish is interesting. I pulled up the stocking numbers from the dec and was surprised that they dont stock more locations. But if they are moving a bit that makes sense. Me and my dad fish out of a 17 foot aluminum so the off shore salmon stuff isnt really for us. And honestly I dont like the idea of combat fishing the river mouths with every one else for the salmon in the shallower water come fall time. We are putting together a solid program for the spring browns. A lot of that is due to this site. I cant get up to the lake in september but I am hoping for october. We will probably focus on the river mouths and maybe even try out the smallies. Sounds like there are some close to shore shoals that can be productive also for a variety of species. I picked up some good maps so it will be time to start looking around for some productive spots. 

0403231516a_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_20230614-180022.png

0402231807d_HDR~2.jpg

Edited by Jeff Mick

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2023 at 7:42 PM, whaler1 said:

Best fish out there are Browns. Get a few over 15 and you’ll be hooked. 

I'll agree with that statement.  I was running solo a few years ago, early spring, rigger was down 4 ft. in 8 ft. of water East of Braddocks Bay off Crescent Beach. DW- SS Chicken wing...... just over 16 lbs.

march19201216brown003crop.thumb.jpg.d70b18ad89b3fffe83a26092b101575d.jpg

• Like 3

The west end also has a lot of browns,but the fly fishing crowds that stand shoulder to shoulder in the creeks over there, usually put a serious dent in the numbers.

The Smallmouth fishing is better east of the Genny and best from let's say Pulttneyville and Sodus east because of all the structure / bottom there . The Browns orient to the same things. And they stock more that area also . 

Why is it that it's always the stream guys who are the scapegoats for why the fishing may be bad a particular year ? I see pics of coolers and boards full of browns from lake guys all the time on here.  When I fish the tribs I  rarely see guys keeping fish . Almost all are C& R. Granted there are outlaws . 

So put it to bed already . 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, HB2 said:

The Smallmouth fishing is better east of the Genny and best from let's say Pulttneyville and Sodus east because of all the structure / bottom there . The Browns orient to the same things. And they stock more that area also . 

Why is it that it's always the stream guys who are the scapegoats for why the fishing may be bad a particular year ? I see pics of coolers and boards full of browns from lake guys all the time on here.  When I fish the tribs I  rarely see guys keeping fish . Almost all are C& R. Granted there are outlaws . 

So put it to bed already . 

I wouldn't blame stream or lake guys for bad brown years. A big issue with the brown population is cormorants and lamprey. My last two trips targeting browns, there have been lamprey scars or live lamprey on 90% of the browns we have boated and only one over 10lbs (which is not even close to the norm for this time of year and with the conditions right now). IMO browns do not do well with lamprey predation compared to other species.  We are also seeing a lack of browns over 10lbs right now.  Why?  What happened a couple years ago with stocking?  Trib and Lake guys need to come together to put more pressure on the DEC and Feds to get these two damaging creatures under control!  

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 8:28 PM, rolmops said:

The west end also has a lot of browns,but the fly fishing crowds that stand shoulder to shoulder in the creeks over there, usually put a serious dent in the numbers.

If you fish the lake in October and November, you will see that a large number of browns do not even enter the tribs to spawn.  We used to troll browns all fall into winter and would catch tons of browns in the lake spitting eggs or milt. 

23 hours ago, Jeff Mick said:

What is the DEC doing currently about the sea lamprey issue? Do they target the lamprey on their spawning runs in order to try and control their numbers?

Lampricide treatments.  We missed 2 seasons due to covid.  This year seems better than last year but numbers are still high.  

• Like 1