Lake Ontario Atlantic Salmon Fisheries Management Plan 2023-2026

Atlantic numbers seemed to be up some this year.  We caught a couple compared to 1 or 2 in a season.  All I'm going to say on this topic is, if they want more atlantics to survive until adulthood, they might want to stock a better product.  EVERY atlantic we caught this summer had damages pectoral and dorsal fins.  I have seen some in pics that looked great and they were bigger fish.  

We caught a nice one this spring (I;m pretty confident that it was an atlantic) 29". By far my favorite fish of the year. This fish leaped totally out of the water 3 times. I'd love to see and catch more of them, 

1A91ECCF-7DBF-48F9-B2DD-2D1F67A4439A.thumb.jpeg.3325d7dc4727bf2adfd17d4e7c8deee4.jpeg

Edited by RH93

The question might become "will you give up coho for Atlantics?" when / if they need the space to rear them into the Spring because they will be on the same plan as coho in terms of hatchery use and space on the calendar year from what I know about their needs and development.  I hope that this will not be the case / ultimatum and that another facility will be able to house them to not displace the coho.

I am sure that this plan will be discussed at the next ELOSTA meeting on September 20th at Runnings Clay 7PM and again at the October meeting TBD.

32 minutes ago, Morgan-E said:

The question might become "will you give up coho for Atlantics?" when / if they need the space to rear them into the Spring because they will be on the same plan as coho in terms of hatchery use and space on the calendar year from what I know about their needs and development.  I hope that this will not be the case / ultimatum and that another facility will be able to house them to not displace the coho.

I am sure that this plan will be discussed at the next ELOSTA meeting on September 20th at Runnings Clay 7PM and again at the October meeting TBD.

Atlantics are raised in a federal hatchery and the Coho are raise in the Altmar state run hatchery.  I don't see that happening.  

"Develop additional hatchery capacity to support the Lake Ontario Atlantic salmon fishery management objectives. Partner with the USFWS to raise 140,000 yearling smolts at Eisenhower National Fish Hatchery from 2023-2025. Pursue continued partnership opportunities with USFWS for fish production beyond 2025."

If the USFW is not able to deliver or increase to meet objectives then this may become a real question.

53 minutes ago, Morgan-E said:

"Develop additional hatchery capacity to support the Lake Ontario Atlantic salmon fishery management objectives. Partner with the USFWS to raise 140,000 yearling smolts at Eisenhower National Fish Hatchery from 2023-2025. Pursue continued partnership opportunities with USFWS for fish production beyond 2025."

If the USFW is not able to deliver or increase to meet objectives then this may become a real question.

The Powder Mill hatchery would be a great place to raise Atlantics.  Contract out the hatchery to raise Atlantics.  The government loves contracting stuff out!  

• Like 1

The probable best chance for Atlantics to survive in our tribs is by creating a passage way into the higher regions of the Oswego river. It goes all the way to Seneca and Cayuga lake , but because of  al sorts of barriers ,created a long time ago ago for reasons that are no longer valid, this large and often deep river and creek system is effectively rendered useless as a potential natural reproduction opportunity. The Canal is a nice historical sight and it is great for the boats, specially because the maintenance and lock expenses are paid for with throughway authority money and not the users of the canal.

But the entire region from Oswego all the way down to the Finger Lakes could gain a lot if Atlantic Salmon could enter and leave that area through open or properly channeled access possibilities.

This would probably give the entire atlantic salmon project a better chance to succeed

Edited by rolmops

Gambler did it look like the fins may have been clipped. The adult fish being caught now are from the ADK hatchery and all LO fish were clipped adapose and or both Adapose and a vent clip. ( those raised in pens). Now all the LO fish are out of VT. 

DEC has brokered a management plan with Federal hatcheries to obtain Salar hopefully in greater numbers. I heard the lake creel census showed an increase in landlocks caught . I know of a couple captains out of Oswego who’ve never had the opportunity to check in with the creel boat who’ve caught dozens of salar.

The trib creel census showed a high catch in our Sandy creek and Oak orchard. So it would seem they are becoming a part of the targets one can hope/expect to catch both on the Lake and tribs.

Edited by King Davy

1 hour ago, King Davy said:

Gambler did it look like the fins may have been clipped. The adult fish being caught now are from the ADK hatchery and all LO fish were clipped adapose and or both Adapose and a vent clip. ( those raised in pens). Now all the LO fish are out of VT. 

DEC has brokered a management plan with Federal hatcheries to obtain Salar hopefully in greater numbers. I heard the lake creel census showed an increase in landlocks caught . I know of a couple captains out of Oswego who’ve never had the opportunity to check in with the creel boat who’ve caught dozens of salar.

The trib creel census showed a high catch in our Sandy creek and Oak orchard. So it would seem they are becoming a part of the targets one can hope/expect to catch both on the Lake and tribs.

No Dave.  They were deformed, curled, or worn.  I wish I still had the photos to post.  Horrible product.  The bigger ones we have caught look in a lot better shape (maybe better survival when they have good fins?).  

Yeah I know the hatchery product has been suspect at times. I helped clip them spring of 2022 and it was so cold in March in the tank room there was five inches of ice on the tank pipes. We had to bring propane heaters in to thaw out our hands about every 10 minutes. Tough environment to raise these fish in. Yet the ones I catch and see in the finger lakes are great fish.

Hopefully the Federal product will be much more consistent.

11 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

The Powder Mill hatchery would be a great place to raise Atlantics.  Contract out the hatchery to raise Atlantics.  The government loves contracting stuff out!  

The Powder Mill hatchery is privately owned and has potentially been infected by a fish killing virus so it is unlikely to be used for Atlantic salmon.

9 hours ago, King Davy said:

Yeah I know the hatchery product has been suspect at times. I helped clip them spring of 2022 and it was so cold in March in the tank room there was five inches of ice on the tank pipes. We had to bring propane heaters in to thaw out our hands about every 10 minutes. Tough environment to raise these fish in. Yet the ones I catch and see in the finger lakes are great fish.

Hopefully the Federal product will be much more consistent.

The ones that survive to adults seem to look great.  Here is one I caught a couple years ago.

IMG_8248.jpeg

Edited by GAMBLER

On 9/11/2023 at 12:45 PM, Morgan-E said:

After 2025 they have no set plan.  Just a concern when they are looking for new real-estate to continue with the atlantics.  It is in the document that they are only set until then.

Phil, you are right on the money here... It is going to get interesting..

On 9/12/2023 at 12:54 AM, rolmops said:

The Powder Mill hatchery is privately owned and has potentially been infected by a fish killing virus so it is unlikely to be used for Atlantic salmon.

The Powder Mill hatchery is owned by the County of Monroe. It is operated by the Reidman Foundation under a cooperative agreement.