Runoff

Well the lake sure is filling up the last few days . Went down to my cottage at Sandy last night and I have never seen it flowing so fast 

Also we got an input of phosphorus as the Genny had 120k gallons  raw sewage overflow into her , which is good for the bait . 

• Like 1

Went up west side of cayuga lake some of the roads on the lake was flooded over in spots .seen a couple trees up rooted ,ice on north end was gone . All creeks running hard. mud line look interesting for fishing. Hope the ice fishing people got enough brains to stay off thin ice if any left .

Another alert was sent around 8:45 a.m. Saturday, stating the sewage discharge continued to flow. Since it had been flowing for 12.5 hours, that’s an estimated 750,000 gallons of sewage discharged dumped into the Genesee River. "   Supposed updates coming... seems like a great disparity in sewage dump estimates/reports

https://www.whec.com/top-news/rain-heavy-snow-melt-leads-to-estimated-750000-gallons-of-sewage-discharge-dumped-into-genesee-river/ 

Seen in Rochester news that sewage was treated and was released into the river cuz the water treatment plant couldn't handle the Overflow From The Storm not sure if I believe it

Edited by fisherdude

Gambler is on the intake end not the outgoing.

The treatment is very basic indeed. Lime was pumped in with the sewage.

Just to make things a bit clearer.

The sewer  from Henrietta  is a mixture of runoff that comes from the catch basins on the roads (not all of them) , ground water and raw sewer. It normally is treated  at the Frank Van Lare treatment plant and then released. But the amount of runoff from all those catch basins just completely overwhelmed the sewer pipe lines. The level became so high that it started overflowing into the overflow system . That means that the overflow is actually quite diluted because of all the rainwater that is mixed in at this point. Still not good, but not as bad as it sounds at first

Edited by rolmops

On 1/27/2024 at 5:38 AM, HB2 said:

Well the lake sure is filling up the last few days . Went down to my cottage at Sandy last night and I have never seen it flowing so fast 

Also we got an input of phosphorus as the Genny had 120k gallons  raw sewage overflow into her , which is good for the bait . 

It wont go far but Ill take what ever nutrients we can get at this point

• Like 1

The system is designed to handle inflows of up to a ten year return frequency, the combination of the snow going off, and then the rain, over an inch on the 26th falling on saturated ground, has exceeded that frequency.  Irondequoit Creek at Blossom Road was out of its banks, too.  In general, there are two events per year where Pure Waters has to discharge to the river, or the bay (The NE quadrant Combined Sewer Overflow is on Desnmore Creek), but usually not this amount or for this long.  It would be a lot worse in the summer when people are out using the river, and it is getting a huge dilution from the flows in the River, currently 8720 cfs after peaking at about 11000 cfs, at Ford St.  (If I got it right in the conversion app, that's over 7 billion gallons per day).  The ten year cutoff is based on costs, to capture larger events becomes prohibitively expensive.

20 hours ago, woody 184 said:

I totally Agree with you on both statements. I’m Shocked Gambler hasn’t posted anything on this….

Run off only affects us if we get the Genny plume or a South wind that blows dirty water off the shoreline out over our intake.  Both our plants on Lake Ontario are very advanced and have zero issues treating what is thrown at us.  

Salmon Creek in Hilton was way over it's banks late last week!  Bring on the water!  I hope to see high (not flooding) for this season.  

• Like 1

Prior to the Combined Sewer Overflow Abatement Program, there were approximately 70 discharges from the many discharge points per year.   It is unrealistic to think that all possible storm event could be captured by any sewer system, unless there are infinite resources to devote to construction, operation and maintenance.

This attachment is well worth reading if you are not familiar with the history of wastewater and stormwater treatment in Monroe County.

The Monroe County Pure Waters Program

• Like 1

Thank you very much.  I am amazed that while it is one of the more important services we receive from our local governments where economies of scale allow construction of Publicly Owned Treatment Works, almost no time is devoted to teaching about them in schools even at the university level.  I've also been very impressed with the foresight our county fathers had in utilizing State and Federal programs to keep the local dollars to 15% of total construction costs.  One of my friends at USEPA calls the Monroe County system the eighth engineering wonder of the world.  I certainly felt honored to work alongside the people at Pure Waters whenever we were sharing a project. 

They should figure out a way to pipe some of those semi treated sewage nutrients into the lake to feed the bottom of the food chain . Maybe over by The Niagara to Rochester so it dispersed through the Lake system.  Have the outlet in say 150 ft of water . It probably wouldn't be that hard a thing to do . The envromentalists would most likely have a fit but it sure would help the fishing . 

46 minutes ago, HB2 said:

They should figure out a way to pipe some of those semi treated sewage nutrients into the lake to feed the bottom of the food chain . Maybe over by The Niagara to Rochester so it dispersed through the Lake system.  Have the outlet in say 150 ft of water . It probably wouldn't be that hard a thing to do . The envromentalists would most likely have a fit but it sure would help the fishing . 

It would cost millions of dollars to put a pipe out to 150'.  Our intake is in 53' and its 1.5 miles out off Rochester.  150' of water would be double that distance easy.  

The Van Lare outfall is in 90 feet of water, 3.5 miles offshore, and has 2 diffusers ~ 1/4 mile long .  It is approximately on the edge of the Rochester Embayment, so the prevailing west to east flow pattern should get it away from shore.  And except when the bypass tunnel (the old outfall) is used, all is getting treatment through the plant, and even when the bypass is used, the stream is screened and some treatment, like disinfectant, is employed.

A big part of the purpose of all this wastewater treatment was to get the pathogens and overload of nutrients out of the lake so that its value as drinking water would not be degraded.  Return of large amounts of N2 and PO4 to the lake could result in taste and odor problems with the drinking water, with associated increased treatment costs; massive algae blooms; or increases in filamentous algae that have been such a challenge along the shoreline in the recent past.  I love the fishery, but there are an awful lot of people using the water for survival and industry.

If you have a good gps map on your rig ,it will show the the pipe and where it splits up.

It is straight in front of the treatment plant. It is a great place to catch brown trout...

Edited by rolmops

10 hours ago, rolmops said:

If you have a good gps map on your rig ,it will show the the pipe and where it splits up.

It is straight in front of the treatment plant. It is a great place to catch brown trout.

If you go over the pipe with a good fish finder, you can see the pipe clear as day.