LOC payout change?

FISHINMAN

LOC payouts  

68 members have voted

1. 1. LOC payouts

• Keep it the same at $20,000 for overall biggest fish?
    • Drop it to $15,000 and divide the extra $5,000 amongst all the other fish that are placed in the top 20 of their divisions?
    • Drop it to $10,000 and divide the extra $10,000 amongst all the other fish that are placed in the top 20 of their divisions?
    • Other suggestion

First off I am NOT complaining about the $200 we won but in talking to a couple of people they brought it to my attention that the payouts seemed a little out of whack.

Should the payouts be divided up a "little" differently. The way I look at it the overall winner is a bit high. If lets say 4 guys are entered in the derby at $30 each that's $120 + boat and travel gas @ $2.75 - $3.75 per gallon whether it's from out of state or just a few miles away + food and drink + tackle (I am spelling this out for Ray K's sake :lol: ) they finish with a fish that is one of the 80 biggest fish caught by what was approximately 1,760 fisherman entered in the fall derby fishing X amount of hours in the derby and they get what $50 say for one of the 16-20 place fish? That only covers 2 guys entry fees :o and seems very low for a 20th place salmon (in this case) that in this falls derby was only 6lb 6oz smaller than the winning fish :o

Now I am not saying to change the format completely but maybe it needs to be tweaked a bit here or there. I think the $2,500 for 1st place division fish and $1,000 for 2nd place division are OK. It might also get more people to enter if they have a "chance of getting a little more back" than what they invested.

I personally spent well over the $100 (my share) in gas, food, drink and travel that we won on my boat fishing and we had the "9th overall" biggest fish :o:clap:.

Just throwing it out there for discussion :)

If you drop the top prize to $10,000 then you only bump the remaining 80 slots by just over $100 each. That's not much money in the overall scheme of things. Like Tom mentioned, if you're not in the top two you basically pay for gas. And that's just the way it is, I think. And probably the way it should be.

Frankly, most everybody's going to be out there fishing anyway and for a few bucks they get to roll the dice on a big fish=big dollars. There's a thrill associated with a big top prize; for more depth of payout there's a variety of other derby formats. Also, remember there's a big fish of the day prize, too, that spreads a little wealth.

I guess I like the current format. I don't expect to ever win, but just like the lottery...a dollar and a dream.

The LOC Derby is like playing the lottery IMO. Buy a ticket, put your time in, and PRAY. I'd leave the payouts exactly as they are and let the biggest fish take home the big prize. If you want to win some money for a top ten finish, then fish a Pro-Am or a Scotty tournament. There's a lot more than luck involved in taking home the top prize there.

I'd reather see it go up and spread out more maybe on the top ten fish< and scrap 11th to 20th! Pay out 41 fish tottle top ten per division and grand prize winner. this could cover the bills at the end of the day!

I'd reather see it go up and spread out more maybe on the top ten fish< and scrap 11th to 20th! Pay out 41 fish tottle top ten per division and grand prize winner. this could cover the bills at the end of the day!

I voted to keep it the same however I really this this idea ^^^^ :yes:

FISHINMAN,

I help out on alot of derbies on the Fingers and it's impossible to make everyone happy. Yes the payout does seem unfair compared to what you spend to fish but,

we would probably be there anyway. It's an added incentive, sometimes it's not about the money but the prestige of getting your name on the board among the elite

of the lake.

My 2 cents

Scott

Hey Tom, the way you were campaigning for a blow off the final weekend, I thought you were in first :D

I think more people would get involved and fish more seriously if the money were spread out a little more, but it's a derby of time spent on the water and luck (mostly luck), as all "big fish" derbies are. At the end of the day, I'd say if it ain't broken, don't fix it. I agree with Billy...I buy a ticket and look at it as I were playing the lottery.

I like it the way it is. I especially like the fact that 20 places in each division get represented. It's fun to try and "make the board" and watch other freinds or boats you know make it on. For me the thrill isn't the $25 or $50 bucks, but the noteriety. If only 10 places were represented, it would get stagnant quick and there would be no fun in "checking the board". If I fished to try and justfy costs, I'd never have any fun. Getting on the "board", even if it's only in 20th place and only for a day is priceless.

How about raising the entry fee $ 5.00? I don't know the numbers but it used to be something like 3-5 K entries depending on Spring or Fall. That puts another 15-25K in the prize pool. How many guys would stop fishing the derby if it cost $5.00 more to enter? Tom, maybe you should start a new poll.

In all honesty, the one thing that bothers me about it is when I read about the derby's held in Canadian waters with major corporate sponsers. there was one last year that each week, the biggest fish took home a $20,000 Lund- it went for 6 weeks. It would be nice to be able to get more then just your entry fee back when you place a fish in the top 20.

Let's be honest, most of us do it for bragging rights- the money is just an added bonus. We have tossed around the idea of boat decals that could be awarded- like high school and college football players get put on their helmets for making big plays. Even some t-shirts would be great to have

I can't really talk to much cause I have not fished the LOC yet but after reading these post I don't think any thing should change. As mentioned earlier it is like hitting the lottery. There are so many other derbys and tournaments to compete in that the LOC should not change. It is unique. Yes I would like to see the top 5 places with more money but 1st place gets 20 grand. Thats awesome. Don't change a thing! I may not have fished the LOC but have plenty of experience with crow hunts and predator hunts to know you can't make everyone happy. You can only do your best and I think it is great the way it is. I can't wait till the sping LOC

Congrats Tom, Foster, Brian and all the other winners this year.

This derby is what it is!! A winner take all contest for private fishermen. It gives many guys a reason to be out there fishing instead of staying home and commenting about fishing on the computer. You can tell the wife: "I bought this $25 derby ticket I might as take a weeks vacation and win 20G's, you don't want to come and do the cooking do you?" (That's asking for permission and and invite all in one, your butt is covered and of course she stays home which is what you really wanted)

From the Charter Captain perspective: Many charters do not fish the derby -- it is too expensive and few clients schedule a trip to fish the derby, rather they fish the derby because that is when their trip is scheduled. Making this a real show case for amature fishermen -- and that is a good thing!!

Yet those clients that do, only fish it because of the attraction of the BIG prize. So maybe that is why it is structured that way.

Now, I may be all wrong and it may actually be that charter clients are the bulk of derby entries, if that is the case than LOC should keep the big prize.

BUT, if it is in fact mostly a private boat event than the larger prizes in the divisions may be a good idea. The reasons stated by all of you are valid.

I am going to be like the "Drive-by media" and just comment, but not vote, because for the most part, I don't care what they do with the LOC, I don't get the opportunity to fish it because I am running charters those week and do not encourage my clients to enter. IF I was fishing myself with my family and friends I would fish it for the exact same reasons many of you do and would like the larger prizes.

I don't care what they do with the LOC, I don't get the opportunity to fish it because I am running charters those week and do not encourage my clients to enter.

May I ask why you would discourage clients from getting in? With the battles we are fighting currently on the Lake any promotion of the Lake and its resources is good! You dont have to make it required on your boat, but letting them know whats going on and giving them the option is the right thing to do.

You talk about being a charter captain, and all the time you put in, but there are a bunch of us on here who don't know who you are (me included). Do you mind coming clean, and not hiding behind a computer? I hope you don't take that in a harsh way, but I fish up and down the lake all year long. I love meeting and talking with other fisherman.

This derby is what it is!! A winner take all contest for private fishermen. It gives many guys a reason to be out there fishing instead of staying home and commenting about fishing on the computer. You can tell the wife: "I bought this $25 derby ticket I might as take a weeks vacation and win 20G's, you don't want to come and do the cooking do you?" (That's asking for permission and and invite all in one, your butt is covered and of course she stays home which is what you really wanted)

From the Charter Captain perspective: Many charters do not fish the derby -- it is too expensive

Your first paragraph is a double entendre, however not fishing the derby because it is too expensive is definitely ironic.

Troutman,

Wow you are good, I appreciate your ability to decipher that paragraph, and perhaps it is the style of my writing that has led me to be "self censored".

The irony, I can explain as I incorrectly wrote that sentence I should have said that my clients find the derby to be too expensive. To further explain -- Each man in a four man out of state crew, fishing two day will typically spend the following: $30 for a license, $300 for the charter, $100 for the motel, $75 in meals, $40 travel expenses and $50 for tipping the mate and capt. That is a total of $595 per guy; now ask him to spend $25 for the derby and where in the above budget will it come from?

Yankee,

As to why I “hide†behind my computer: I don’t hide behind my computer to say things that I would not have said otherwise, in fact I have been on this board since the beginning and on Lakeontario website before that and I have always boldly expressed my opinions. My opinions and views have been censored and removed from this site in the past. Not because they were obscene or mean spirited, but because some did not agree with them. Can you believe I once said that piece of fishing equipment was junk -- explaining why from my experience -- and because most guys use that brand someone got mad at me and removed my post?

Why am I still here, you ask? Well ..... mostly so I can read your Oak Reports as I highly respect your honest, thorough reports, much like mine used to be.

I think I comment on stuff mostly because I can't help myself (it might be a Forest Gump thing)-- I'll try to suppress my urges in the future.

AS TO THE LOC: Contests are not my thing, neither is gambling, I may just be too cheap, I may be selfish, greedy or just appreciate the effort that I put into making a dollar so much that I am parsimonious --- most likely it is all the above!!

I do not believe that there is any morality attached to promoting the derby so I will not concede that there is any right or wrong in promoting or not promoting the event. Promoting the LOC and promoting Lake Ontario fishing are not the same! To say that I do not promote LO fishing because I do not promote the LOC would be incorrect (not that you said that). Could I say that the LOC does not promote LO fishing because the LOC does not encourage all its clients to fish with my charter service? Why that would be absurd. I would be open to the LOC advertising on my website, if they decided to spend the long dollar and run a banner add, why that would be just fine with me and my clients would all be aware of the derby and they could join. You must understand that I run a business and bottom line is I need to earn a profit, when engaged in that business everything I do is done to that end and from my experience – since fishing the 1981 ESLO – I have not found it to be profitable to my business to promote the derby.

I must state before you consider me a selfish SOB that there are a dozen or more business in Orleans County that consider my business and my clients to be profitable to them and not a single one of these proprietors would say that I do not promote Lake Ontario or it’s resources. You see Capt. our perspectives are different, not right or wrong just different. We are a diverse group -- embrace it!

I wonder if all in favor of lowering the grand prize and giving more for the rest would think the same if they were to catch the winning fish the following year? I say leave it the same and hope to place higher. That's what so great about this lake, you never know what you have till it hits the net.Any day I'm out there I always think that there is nowhere else I'd rather be