Columbus youth hunt poll

fishon

Columbus day weekend poll  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Columbus day weekend poll

• youth deer hunt columbus day weekend
    • no youth deer hunt
    • youth hunt but different weekend

The youth are the future of hunting and fishing. If we do not get youth involved, where will we stand in 20 years? Yes some will abuse it but every kid that gets the expierence will be hooked for a lifetime. I also feel it is early enough in the bow season that the deer will settle back down and be back to normal. If you do not like it, buy your own property and do not allow anyone to gun hunt until gun season.

NO youth hunt

move the bow opener back to the 15th

there are a lot of 12 and 13 year kids that will not get a chance to hunt NOW....that is not helping

i use to take 1st timers out the first couple weeks of october....shoot some rabbits...turkeys....crows

this will do more harm than good.....they can bowhunt that's what my kids will do

The youth are the future of hunting and fishing. If we do not get youth involved, where will we stand in 20 years? Yes some will abuse it but every kid that gets the expierence will be hooked for a lifetime. I also feel it is early enough in the bow season that the deer will settle back down and be back to normal. If you do not like it, buy your own property and do not allow anyone to gun hunt until gun season.

Perfect!! Thanks Brian :yes::yes:;)

I am planning on hunting on state land this weekend for grouse and I have to admit I am a little apprehensive. I am spending some money on an orange vest for my dog as a precaution :@ This is not the answer to the license sales delima. When I was a kid I was excited about any type of opening day....I certainly didn't need a "special" day. The problem of shrinking sales goes much deeper than a date on the calendar.

Love the youth hunt, While i was in tennessee they had the same platform with the one difference, The regular bow season closed for the weekend for bowhunter saftey. The kids will most likly see double the number of dear and have favorable weather to hunt in and the concern for our kids safty reduces dramitically in regards to worring about the neighboor ripping round thru the hedgerow at the same deer

I'M for it. I am an avid bowhunter But will gladly give up three days of the season to get kids involved in the sport. Nice weather, unspooked deer and a chance of a memory that will last a lifetime.. Might even get a few away from the tv and video games..

I'm all about getting kids involved in hunting, but I think that giving them their own season just feeds a perception of entitlement. Unfortunately, it's an "easy" solution, as there's not any actual effort or $$$ involved. You've got to get them involved earlier. It takes work.

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW THIS HELPS PROMOTE YOUTH HUNTING . WHEN I GREW UP IN A HUNTING FAMILY I STARTED GOING WITH MY DAD WHEN I WAS 5 STARTED SITTING WITH HIM FOR BIG GAME WHEN I WAS 8 AND COULDN'T HUNT UNTIL I WAS 16 . NOW KIDS CAN START AT 12 I DON'T THINK A SPECIAL SEASON WILL BE THE ANSWER THAT MAKES IT MORE ABOUT KILLING THEN HUNTING . JUST MY VIEW .

They guy that shot a deer out from under my buddy on saturday night and laughed about the youth season being a great excuse for his rifle shots loves the new season.... This is exactly what we thought would happen. :devil: Oh and encon is nowwhere to be found exept on the salmon river handing out tickets to fisherman on the rivers busiest weekend of the year. Thanks again New York you nailed it yet again... Yea this was public land but I predicted this would happen and I nailed it. In 8 years of bowhunting public land this has never happened. Funny how it happened saturday evening and the guy when confronted just laughed and said hey whos gonna catch me.....Yea we reported it but I am sure nothing will come of it. Total Crap!! I am all for kids hunts I take kids out for the early duck season every year but this one doesnt have enough regulation...We also dont have enough encon officers to properly enforce this one.. Sorry but its the truth!

GET THE KIDS OUT THERE!!!!!!!!

I agree 14/15 is WAY TOO old to start a kid hunting. My family moved up to NY from a southern state where kids were able to hunt deer @ 6 or 7. It was heartbreaking to tell my daughter she couldn't hunt deer for another two years only to hear her response but we have been doing it for years down south. I am afraid this two year absence is going to cause her to lose interest in it. I will try to take her out as much as possible but I am very disappointed in NYS!!! A state that has such an abundant resource is putting kids now a days behind the 8 ball when it comes to getting outdoors. Why??? because they may see a little blood? They might see something die??? It happens when they go fishing..... They can actually see where dinner comes from!!!!

I guess I just have to wait!!!

Question has this age restriction always been this high in NY???

Sorry for going off like that but it is just ridiculous.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll tell you........it is way too late for the state to try to get kids to hunt. When I was a young teen in the late '70's there was nothing for me to do but run around the woods in the fall, I would go with my dad and be the "dog" as he shot pheasants and wood cock! I could not wait until I was 14 so I could hunt....then when I turned 16 I was rearing to go so much so that when my dad killed 2 does with one shot that opening day... I would not give him my doe tag for it...I wanted my own!!!

Today the kids have way to many alternatives to hunting and fishing. Sports is one of the biggies that take up fishing and especially hunting time. 1048 cable stations, video games and the internet keep them up too late to get up early the next day. This past year I fished 93 days commercially and about 15 days privately, my boys 19 and 12, have no interest being on a charter boat, but did fish about 10 of the private days with me, hunting -- forget about it!! I hunt almost every day of the season and they have NO desire to go. The older one will buy his license only if he is seeing deer in our field and he thinks he can sneak out and shoot one, I don't think he could stand in the woods for more than 15 min let alone stand still for 1 min. The younger boy.......last summer a woodchuck was in the back yard along the wood line eating grass. I of course hurriedly grabbed the 10-22 loaded it, asked him if he wanted to shoot it (he is a good shot) opened the glass door and handed him the gun, he looked down the site and looked back at me and said. "Why am I shooting it Dad?" I stopped and thought about it: "I'm not going to eat it; it is not harming anything-it lives in the woods and has never ventured into the garden....much closer to the house; If it didn't dig holes I would have shot every rabbit on the property long ago." So I simply replied: "I have no good reason." and he replied "I really don't want to shoot it then." Now I could have said what my Dad would have said: "Because it is still there and we kill all the woodchucks!" BUT my son would not have accepted the validity of that answer and found more enjoyment in watching the animal feast on the clover and drive the penned up beagles crazy all summer. Now that he is 12 he shows no interest in taking the hunting course or heading into the field. I have already traded away 3 shotguns that I was holding onto as hunting guns for the boys in about 5 years I be down to keeping only their heirloom guns from their grandfathers.

Back to the subject......Too little too late, but let them at it!! The norm will mirror bailey's post and tall tails post will be the aberrant.

At the end of the day it is not all that important that our sons be hunters or fishermen, what is important is that they become honest, trustworthy, responsible men, husbands and fathers!! (May God Help Us!!!)