New Rule about selling

Chances are, a person with 1,000 posts, people will know them and what kind of person they are.

Some John Doe comes in on day one and the first post is something for sale. What would come to mind first?

Hmmm?

Yea that’s right!

This site would not go anywhere. The reports section is the most abused section of this site. Tons of people read it and do not give one ounce of reports or useful info in return. The lurkers would still have access to the rest of the site.

To combat this they should suspend/hold accounts fromt he classifieds and reports until they post at least 10 times.

Classified wise I have seen on other forums where they have a seller/buyer rating.  Maybe we counld incorporate something like that.

That should fix the problem.

Edited by Chas0218

The way I found this site was, one day I was searching the net about the walleye migration from Black River Bay to the Bay of Quinte , so I had a better Idea were to fish at certain times of the year, Having property in NY the only time I had luck with them was in May and that's when I got redirected to this site. So I lurked around and then joined to read the posts or be able to post and found that this is exactly what I was looking for. 5 years prier I belonged to Walleye.com fished western Erie for 5 years made friends and what a great bunch of guys, left me stay in their cottages gave me more info on where to go , even had a guy stop and give me harnesses he made up, with hatchet blades, he says these will produce, we were back at the dock at 2pm with a 3 man ticket, with info from everybody to help one catch walleye, then I read the post about salmon and more salmon, and I asked about a little info on walleyes, with days gone by with 350 lookers but not a one would speak of anything. Honestly I thought about maybe this is a community with their own little click and you had to earn their whatever you want to call it to give out info on walleye. If you managed to catch a nice stringer they all wanted to know of your where abouts what you used. This is a perfect example I took my twin daughters up to the trailer and we managed 2 nice walleyes (first time ever fishing away from home and in big water the river) it was big to them, we went to the fish cleaning table with our 2 walleye and Elizabeth's nice small mouth, and there was a group of guys there cleaning the best catch of walleyes I've seen in a while, they were cleaning there fish and so were we and my daughters were just amazed that walleye grow that big, my daughter asked those men where did you catch those big fish, answer OUT IN THE BIG WATER. On the way back the girls asked why were those men so nasty, How do you explain that to an 8 year old, they also said that they didn't want to go down their if those same guys were there. And they were ready to go HOME. Thanks!! On the other hand we have Justin who is giving info and pictures of his catch, on a lake 5 miles long and 3/4miles wide and can't get anything out of the guys on lake Ontario lake big enough to get lost on. If this site is to help others out you can't prove that by me, unless you fish salmon. I've been on Ontario since the early 80s, things change and there is enough walleye in the lake for everyone to have some fun. I have made friends with this site, and some are in the BRCG and we plan to put our heads together and maybe be successful also, I know that I will have to catch a few nice walleyes for my daughters to lose their fear of the cleaning table incident. That's the way to get kids involved with the outdoors and not drugs?

This site would not go anywhere. The reports section is the most abused section of this site. Tons of people read it and do not give one ounce of reports or useful info in return. The lurkers would still have access to the rest of the site.

Gambler I get what you are saying, but I for one can tell you I am not a pro member and give a lot of advice on this site. I don't always have the time to put reports on all three forums I follow, but I do answer a lot of technical questions.

I don't think you want to cut that contribution out. And like Mortigan says, after enough use, there's a good reason to go Pro.  If we can't see the benefits, then it's harder to sell the Pro status.

Pap,

Thank you for the kind words!

I dont expect anyone to pay 20 dollars the site is free. I still think if you want to sell items its a fair deal to pay the 20, but it doesnt matter that much to me as i probably wont buy or sell anything here. Many sites you have to pay to plug your business or sell stuff. I paid the 20 to say thank you, but in my opinion the most important thing anyone can do is post reports, answer questions, and share.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Pap,

Thank you for the kind words!

I dont expect anyone to pay 20 dollars the site is free. I still think if you want to sell items its a fair deal to pay the 20, but it doesnt matter that much to me as i probably wont buy or sell anything here. Many sites you have to pay to plug your business or sell stuff. I paid the 20 to say thank you, but in my opinion the most important thing anyone can do is post reports, answer questions, and share.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Your quite welcome Justin, I feel the same about selling. I bought spoons from a well respected person on here and I couldn't have been more pleased!! I think posting is far more important, to educate people so they join and maybe feel the same I did and pay the $20.00 to help the site out, but in order to do that we need posts on all different species just not salmon.

When I find walleyes I try to pm the guys that are looking for info. I don't like to publicize the location where I catch them only by pm just for the reason that if the lurkers can't contribute why should they wreak the benefits of being a member.

Anyone know if the warm water reports are open to public or like the salmon reports?

Sent from my thinking chair...

Anyone who frequents this site regularly should realize the enormous amount of work that Chad puts into upkeep and consider becoming a Pro member. That having been said, most members are astute enough to recognize that a one post seller might not be the best guy to buy from, and if they don't get a hit, they leave quickly. The guys who post a bunch, Pro members or not, are at least a known entity. I've personally never had an issue on here.

Ebay, on the other hand... :swear:

I'm guilty of trying to sell stuff and not posting reports yet I at some point am on this site everyday the reason I don't post reports is I can't catch fish in lake o on a consistent basis to save my life I try to sell my stuff to upgrade so hopefully I can catch fish like some guys here and maybe open a door for some pointers. I could easily try to sell stuff elsewhere but here is where there seems to be a demand for certain items.

I would love to be able to share USEFULL reports but really don't have any.

I'm guilty of trying to sell stuff and not posting reports yet I at some point am on this site everyday the reason I don't post reports is I can't catch fish in lake o on a consistent basis to save my life I try to sell my stuff to upgrade so hopefully I can catch fish like some guys here and maybe open a door for some pointers. I could easily try to sell stuff elsewhere but here is where there seems to be a demand for certain items.

I would love to be able to share USEFULL reports but really don't have any.

Steelie1

By posting your trips, even if its a zero, you will build relationships here and others will open up to you more and help you. Personally the thing I look at most when helping others is how many trips they post and when I see somebody who puts some effort in I give more help. If you post exactly what you've been trying somebody might be able to see what you are doing wrong or give you some new ideas. Bottom line is this site is FULL of help if you go about it right.

justin

When a first time poster tries to sell stuff, I will not buy. When a first time poster tries to sell a car or a motorbike he should be thrown of the site and his post along with him.

Steelie1

By posting your trips, even if its a zero, you will build relationships here and others will open up to you more and help you. Personally the thing I look at most when helping others is how many trips they post and when I see somebody who puts some effort in I give more help. If you post exactly what you've been trying somebody might be able to see what you are doing wrong or give you some new ideas. Bottom line is this site is FULL of help if you go about it right.

justin

Ty

Lol you're starting to sound like the government!!

There shouldn't be any kickbacks for sales. Classifieds on this site probably accounts for half of its traffic. Put a price tag on that and that traffic drops substantially.

I like this system. I feel like I get $20 in value, so I pay $20. 

I hope noboby thinks badly of me , but, i have spent a year, faithfuly watching this site, posting a couple of ads, purchased a few items, and enjoyed the the information and advise that I was able to gather.  Today, I sent the website the $20 to join because I want to see it continue. I know it costs alot nof money to operate this site and I want it to continue. Will try to abide by the rules and be a good member.   Thanks to all.   Blacky