Reason I asked is last year I used smelly jelly and it seemed to help. Tried something new this year and didn't do so well. Tomorrow I'm going to try the same lures but with smelly jelly

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I spray on Shad scent which i think kills the human scent at least and although it washes off spoons it seems to stay better on flies and artificial meat rigs but most of the time I use actual bait (alewives or smelt) for meat. I sometimes even spray it on attractors for salmon.

I am gonna pick up some smelly jelly anchovies. Never tried it but I do like the fact that it will cover up human scent. It can't hurt in my opinion. So is it just a small amount evenly on the spoon and stick bait or what? Anyone use it on a spindr or dodger to?

I used some kind of trout attractor scent years back. It took a lot of of scrubbing to get that nasty smell off my fingers. I can't say on here what it smelled like, but it wasn't good, I'll tell ya that.

I used some kind of trout attractor scent years back. It took a lot of of scrubbing to get that nasty smell off my fingers. I can't say on here what it smelled like, but it wasn't good, I'll tell ya that.

:P  :lol:  :yes:  

I know someone is going to have a joke about this, but I went on a Musky charter in Canada last year and the charter captain used a little spot of "Preparation H" on his lures, he said that it is fish oil based and stays on in water!

I think I took her to the drive in , in high school. Was a friendly girl.   :lol:  lol.

• 1 month later...

try using  boot  scent pads  used for hunting and put them on your downrigger  weights  there  is a super absorbant felt pad on there  and   holds  scent  fro quite some time  and sewn on to an elestic band  it goes right on a shark   15 lbs stays there and when you do have to bring your weights  give them another shot  of  your  favorite scent. 

I've seen Kishels Fish Scent used on spoons and paddles (avoid putting on the fly itself).  I have a tub of Smelly Jelly UV Herring that I've only tried a couple times - the jury is still out... 

I spray shad scent on the inside of the lid of my plastic lure boxes close it and let sit for a few days then wipe the residue off the lid and any lures where it has attached with a clean dry cloth because most of these scent sources will tarnish lures especially those with real silver finish (e.g. Suttons). I know metal isn't supposed to absorb the scent but many of my spoons have add on eyes tape etc. and I think it at least masks the human scent as well as the nail polish I've used to color some of the lures :)  I also spray my flies and flashers/spinneys with the shad scent before they go in the water. I just use the YUM shad scent you find in sporting goods stores.

post-145411-0-77311100-1403008212_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...