Dipsey diver with fixed slider

Guys I have been pondering this for some time now, I have been thinking about trying to run one fixed slider on my wire dipsey about 20 feet above the dipsey while I still run the normal flasher and fly as normal. I figured the weight of a nk-28 would not affect anything on the dipsey setup and would give me a couple more spoons in the target zone. I was wondering if any of you guys have tried this or thought about it.... It makes sense to me to run one or two per dipsey... Thanks in advance guys.. Woody

Sounds like a cluster F@@k.

1.)The Dipsy isn't running vertical, instead the wire will be planing near horizontal within 20' of the Dipsy so the only thing you will wind up with is one big tangle. In order to run a slider effectively, you need you main line to be near vertical like a downrigger.

2.) It a fish hits your dipsy, you don't want to be messing around with removing a fixed slider when you're retrieving your wire line. This is asking for serious trouble given that the wire has no stretch.

Bad idea all around,

Chris

Ditto on Chris' comments. Those of us who use wire for Seth Greens have had all sorts of variations on that and it is not a pretty sight....if you do it keep some wire cutters and a knife real handy :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

It isn't that it can't be done.... more of a question about should it be done. Why risk $50 worth of wire and possibly screwing up a dipsey/flasher/fly setup to gain the additional lure when there are better ways of doing it say as in sliders from downriggers.

Edited by Sk8man

Guys I appreciate your responses.. I think it is doable but it's a gamble that it won't wad up a bunch of lines and mess up an hour of fishing.. But I look at it like this, when I first mated on charter boats they were running just 1 dipsey on each side of the boat and I'm sure somebody said we should try running 2 on each side and they said your crazy trying that, your gonna have a huge mess on your hands.... Now look what they are doing... Woody

If you're really into multiple  lures try running an umbrella rig for chinooks with a five lure setup and you might get a feel for what we're talking about :lol:

If you're really into multiple  lures try running an umbrella rig for chinooks with a five lure setup and you might get a feel for what we're talking about :lol:

Yeah, because running an umbrella rig or a daisy chain for that matter is what woody is talking about.  No comparison to what was being asked and to be honest if it worked as well as an umbrella rig does for stripped bass I'd do it in a heartbeat!  Used by a competent fisherman correctly, good quality umbrella rigs such as a 49'er won't tangle. 

Just not sure what your point was Les ???

Edited by Fishtails

Basically I was joking....inferring that wire can get really screwed up when/if it does get tangled. I was also alluding to the fact that there may be more productive ways to run multiple lures than running them from a diver setup.....that's all...no real brain drain intended :)

Guys I really appreciate the input on my fixed slider idea.. I really never thought about the angle of the wire. I never thought about the wire getting damaged in any way.. Again my ultimate goal was to splash a couple extra lures in the water column. Les I personally don't think the umbrella rig will work . I think it would probably look awesome going through the water but I think that rig would cause a wad behind the boat.. Guys I will give it a shot in the summer time and will give you feedback on the outcome.. I think it will work with just one fixed lure on each side of the boat. That's why this forum is so good, we can bounce ideas off each other and accept the feedback and move forward..... Some of these ideas are a little more out there than others..... Lmao... Woody

Good luck with it. Experimenting is what this stuff is all about....if it works for you that's all that counts. have a great upcoming season. Les

If you really wanted to try to run 2 lures off a dipsy you could put a three way swivel at the end of your leader behind the dipsy. then run 2 leaders of different lengths, 1 to a diving plug, and the other to a spoon.  let it out VERY slow and it should run true.  It will be a mess when you get a fish but it may work if you have the patience to try it.  It works on walleyes, not sure how much of a disaster it would be on a king?? Or god forbid if 2 ever hit at the same time!! I would think it would be game over real quick :o

It isn't that it can't be done.... more of a question about should it be done. Why risk $50 worth of wire and possibly screwing up a dipsey/flasher/fly setup to gain the additional lure when there are better ways of doing it say as in sliders from downriggers.

This exactly! Imagine a king smacking the spoon so hard it cracks your wire. You're now out the cheater and lure, but also a diver and whatever was behind that.

These fish are either on a diver bite or not. If not pull them and put out more junk lines. If they are then put a few more divers out. 

Yes i did scott, i had a open skull fracture with 13 stitches and two cracked vertebrae in my lower neck. Sold the sled, all done riding. 45yrs i seen the light. It will take a little bit to get me back to usual. I am happy to be alive and not a vegetable. Thanks for asking.