Need Help what license to obtain?

Alright guys and captains, I am looking for a little advice. I am trying to decide as which license to get for chartering legally. I am not trying to compete against anyone but fishing is my passion and anyone that knows me will tell you. I love taking kids out and service men and women and have just taken friends and family out on countless trips just for fun. My thing is that I hate taking money from people knowing that legally I can't charge for it and being it is something I have always wanted to do I am undecided. The DEC has the guiding license and then there is either the master captains license or the oupv license. I have the first aid and cpr all ready taken care of. I am just looking to do what my gramps and uncle did in years past but they have been out of it for so long they aren't sure what it entails anymore. Please give me some opinions and help me out guys. I really enjoy what I do and just like any fisherman I spend a good portion of my years giving back when I can.

Sea tech marine Dennis Daniels teaches the U.s.c.g. License needed to charter. It is called a operator of u inspected passenger vessel. I took the extra few days of class and got my master license... Opens more

Options down road and wanted to do it once lol

A lot of things change when you obtain your license so take that also into consideration....insurances, legal/license fees even right done to pfd type and dated batteries in pfd lights. Twic card, drug testing, Just toention a few. Not trying to discourage you just good for thought.

Edited by KING ME

Yah I have read up on all that entails and I do already carry a high insurance policy just cause of the fact and the other facts I wasn't aware of and would be prepared to do whatever. I already on the maiden voyage go to the USCG station with boat and ask them to do an inspection for my own peace of mind and shows good faith that I don't cut corners either.

My understanding is that if you are intending to fish any body or waterway hooked up to Lake Ontario and the seaway etc. it requires the USCG license and the NYS Guide license will not suffice to meet requirements.

Pretty simple...Friends helping with costs such as fuel and gear is one thing. If you plan on charging people to take them out fishing then you need to get your captains license. There's a long list of things that are required in order to get and maintain your license also. I got my license through seatech marine. They will help you through the entire process.

http://www.seatechmarinetraining.com/

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well that's the thing I am not sure about. I do take a lot of people out and they offer up money and it adds up. Now granted I just put it back into the boat whether it be fuel or gear and so on. Not that I care what Uncle SAM knows but I do run a business outside of this which affords me the ability to get out and enjoy fishing. Last season I made a good penny but like I said it never got pocketed. I know that it's frowned upon in the charter community that's why I dont advertise anything but yet people talk and my number is given out and I have turned people away just cause the risk involved. I could do it and keep my mouth shut but if God forbid something happened I would feel awful. Plus I am just to damn honest

Something to think about -  A way of determining whether you should do it or not is to develop a full business plan including all your expenses, and overhead, get quotes on liability insurance, etc. and be sure to figure in your hours not only of actual fishing,but traveling time, time spent rigging stuff, cleaning the boat, re-rigging or replacing things that clients screw upetc.

Quite some time back I considered chartering and I went to the local community college evening business school that offered classes in business development. The primary requirement was to develop a thorough 5 year business plan of our intended ventures and then compute the profit margin as an hourly wage for your intended activity and present the findings to the class. I presented my findings after weeks of researching things and formulating the plan. When I presented my findings I first indicated that I wasn't about to give up my "day job" and folks laughed....my potential hourly wage profit was $2.73 after all the expenses (including buying a larger boat) that would be incurred. It might have been different in someplace like Florida where you have nearly the entire year as your season but here you have winters such as this one, days when it is too rough to get out and many other unpredictable factors to contend with. I became instantaneously content to remain the sport fisherman that I am today :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Receiving money for fuel, etc. is a Federal Law violation and subject to a high fine. That is why you need a Charter License and all the hoops they make you jump through. It is best to share trips on other boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Receiving money for fuel, etc. is a Federal Law violation and subject to a high fine. That is why you need a Charter License and all the hoops they make you jump through. It is best to share trips on other boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

kidding me right?

So I collect $20 a guy after we go do a little derby fishing and I'm illegal? That's impractical. Then 95% of guys are illegal on the lake. I can't believe you made that comment with a straight face, true or not.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good advice Les has about the business plan.  Readily offered at many community colleges.  Most important aspect is that it will make you think about things you don't currently about running a business and whether you want to change what you are doing presently.

That comment right there is why I am not sure what to do. I don't do anything illegal, for christs sake I don't even drink. But that like saying if I give my buddy a ride to work and he gives me $20 for gas that's must be illegal also then. I have heard different things and have no issues spending about $1500 to get my captains license but I won't even make that money back cause it's so few times. If a big group comes up and wants me to take them I forward them on to other charters.

I would think that guy's are referring to the unreported income aspect to the IRS which is basically a non issue for what your doing now. Risk of liability would be my bigger concern if I were doing what you are which is where the licensing and insurance comes into play. Do more homework on the matter and I would say that this forum is not the place to do it. I would talk to some other Charter guys personally to start.

According to the rules, $20 is still illegal.  If you in exchange for fishing on the big lake, then its illegal.  Granted mostly everyone does it, but you could still get a fine for it.  It still kind of a grey area when it comes to buddies but if there is anything that implies that there is money be exchanged for boat time, then you can be slapped with a $10k fine.  Had a buddy in Milwaukee that talked his way out of the ticket - the pen was almost to the final signature on the ticket before he talked him out of it.  The reason for the ticket - someone handed him $20 at the gas dock to cover gas.  We also had an incident were an undercover person came around with a kid on Fathers day one year.  They went boat to boat offering $50 to quick take him and his son out for fathers day - everyone who said yes, got the ticket.  Feel free to do what you want, but just be discreet as you can about any money and dont take money from strangers even if they are with a buddy of yours.

All the fuel is put on my tab at the marina and there is no money exchanged at my boat. As for the liability insurance, I already carry it in excess of 2,000,000 and always have just because you never know. I am not here to take money from any other captain cause as I stated i. The past my grandfather and my uncle both chartered legit on the lake so I know the rules. Looking at it from my point of view is there are very few people getting back into the charter business legitimately and I personally don't know if that is what I want to do because I don't plan on it being a full time job, not that I already don't go out 3-5 days a week now but usually only with 2 or 3 buddies to get away.

I have been doing the same thing people offer up gas money, most want to pay more.  I tell them how much it cost in gas but they almost wanna "tip" me.  I am in no means making a living taking people out.  I might have enough extra left over to buy a couple lures or something but if you are making $300 in a trip you might want that captians license.

General rule of thumb for me is if I'm not going out or you want to make a special trip to a certain location I ask them to throw in $25/person.

x2

Sent from my LG-D631 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

X3 The only time I don't ask people for money is if someone comes out with me just to help out and steer the boat and stuff while I fish. If someone asks to go fishing I 100% am going to get 20 bucks from them to help out with gas, tackle, etc. 25 foot boats don't run on hopes and dreams.

X3 The only time I don't ask people for money is if someone comes out with me just to help out and steer the boat and stuff while I fish. If someone asks to go fishing I 100% am going to get 20 bucks from them to help out with gas, tackle, etc. 25 foot boats don't run on hopes and dreams.

Yeah they dont run on hope and dreams.  I just take family and friends out and my gas bill is usually around $2000 to 2500 each summer.  $2k for slip fee for Lake Michigan.  Last years gear switchover and electronics upgrade was another $3k.

At $20 a head, I'd just need to take 350 people fishing to break even for last year :)

That's what I am saying. I bought my boat, bought all new gear and not basic stuff either and then turned and spent another $40,000 replacing the carbureted motors for direct injected ones to save on fuel and still got me for almost $4000 just for fuel. Not that it helps paying $5/gal either. Everyone that comes out with me just brings their food and beer but doesn't think about the $200,000 I have invested cash to nothing financed, so much for retiring just hurt me in that boat. If they give me $20 I am happy but if they give me $100 I am not gonna say nah here take $80 back, not happening on my boat write me the ticket then. This state can kiss my rear with all the taxes we pay with fuel and equipment and insurance. Especially now after talking with an instructor at the school for my license, 9 days from 9am to 8pm every day plus the costs of books and food **** brother I will see you on the water. See yah I know the rules and respect every one out there so if I am taking friends out and they pay me for it, let's just call it an education and experience they are paying for.