How good are the Okuma GLT rods?

I actually had my 128 quart igloo cooler seat (filled with my electronics, rain gear, downrigger weights, terminal tackle, hooks, extra reels) come undone on a drive to find it riding on my poles for 110 miles. I thought for sure Thy were all going to be broke. My one copper rod is roughed up on the back but only some scratches to the clear coat. I have ran the Cabela's rods, couple ugly sticks, wilderness, and diawa rods but my Okuma's see regular duty. I am a teacher and my summers are filled with trolling for eyes, trout, and salmon.

The medium 8'-6" downrigger rod is great for inline planers and big boards. I have caught hundreds of fish on these no issues.

One thing I will mention is I don't leave my rods and reels in the sun or weather day after day. After everyday they get put back into the barn until the next day.

Edited by Chas0218

I was at the Niagra show a few weeks back and ordered 2 of the dipsy cold water series Okuma rods ( didn't have any at booth) I got them in the mail yesterday and they are 8 ft medium downrigger rods. Anyone use these ? Should I return or keep wasn't sure how much different they are? My biggest concern is I run 4 dipsy rods. 4 - 10' dipsy rods I thought if I had my inside one 2 feet shorter might help the chance of tangles. These rods will also be lined with 20-30 lb mono and not steel.

Thanks in advance

I was at the Niagra show a few weeks back and ordered 2 of the dipsy cold water series Okuma rods ( didn't have any at booth) I got them in the mail yesterday and they are 8 ft medium downrigger rods. Anyone use these ? Should I return or keep wasn't sure how much different they are? My biggest concern is I run 4 dipsy rods. 4 - 10' dipsy rods I thought if I had my inside one 2 feet shorter might help the chance of tangles. These rods will also be lined with 20-30 lb mono and not steel.

Thanks in advance

The action really isnt heavy enough for running divers. A medium heavy or heavy is what you need. They would be ok (not great) for slide divers though.

Thanks in advance

I have mediums for my inside divers and my slides. They are the cats ass for the slides and do a very good jobs with my 107 fish hawk divers. I wouldn't be too concerned at all.

I have mediums for my inside divers and my slides. They are the cats ass for the slides and do a very good jobs with my 107 fish hawk divers. I wouldn't be too concerned at all.[/quote

You run the deeper divers with wire or mono with those rods Scott? If with wire a king doesn't snap that rod in a medium 8 6' ? Seems light for a diver.....

Great thanks! Yes I'm also curious.... You guys normally run your inside or outside with mono or steel line

my diver setups are exactly the same. Same rods. Same action. Same 30# wire. Same divers (of course on different settings). 

If im fishing a shallow high diver then Ill run my slide diver instead.

my diver setups are exactly the same. Same rods. Same action. Same 30# wire. Same divers (of course on different settings).

If im fishing a shallow high diver then Ill run my slide diver instead.

Lol thanks me too that's how I've always done it. Just trying to spice it up and try different things this year

I have mediums for my inside divers and my slides. They are the cats ass for the slides and do a very good jobs with my 107 fish hawk divers. I wouldn't be too concerned at all.[/quote

You run the deeper divers with wire or mono with those rods Scott? If with wire a king doesn't snap that rod in a medium 8 6' ? Seems light for a diver.....

I have a set with wire and slides with mono. Matt, its a medium action salmon rod, not a barbie pole. My rigger rods are 1101 9' light ugly sticks and haven't broken one in 30 years.

And I can't stand whippy light rods  :rofl:

Les has got it right, it's about personal preference. My preference is short rods with some backbone to them. I'm all for going light when the conditions favor it...I own 2 and 3-wt rods for fly fishing the Oatka,..but I hate feeling like I can't gain line against the boat's moving and I like the maneuverability of a short rod when the fish is close. I'd love to stop and fight fish from a standstill, but with 10+ rods out, that's not always possible. Still, light stuff is fun...

We run Talora 7' rods on the riggers, and 8' / 9 1/2' for the inside and outside wires. But for years our go-to was the ole' reliable TDR, 8' M or ML, and they were  bulletproof. And cheap. 

I checked out the Talora rods and thought the handles were a bit on the narrow side.

So I picked up a set of Daiwa DXT Trolling Rods last year and couldn't be happier. They were $55 ea. but the price jumped to $63. I haven't looked around for pricing since I bought these.

http://www.superiortackle.com/product/daiwa-dxt-trolling-rods-198898-1.htm

Daiwa DXT Trolling Rods DXT862MR 8 6 2PC M R 10-20#

Don't laugh about the Shakespeare Catfish rods. They're 7.5' and are a 1-piece rod. Great for wire divers. Sometimes cheap is just as good

Edited by Patriot