Fish Finder Si vs. Di

Lowrance makes a hook Series now that are entry level and also a Elite 9 for not much more than the 7

Mike

Have not heard much info on the HOOK yet. Would like a 9 but where I want to put it there is not enough room, a 7 would fit perfict. Side console in between the raised dash - to window. Only about 11 inches. Also thought about some model of Humminbird with the side image. Mostly do drift fishing for walleye or bank/dock for bass. Troll on occasion.

I troll and made the mistake of buying the Helix 5, it doesnt even make a good boat anchor, its the farthest thing from auto,i'd spend less time playing with a video game, I wanted simple and some bonehead at bass pro sold me on this unit, it's exactly what I didnt want, so much for listening to some pencile pusher and not a real fisherman.

Fish Finders aren't like they were back in the 80s and 90s. You'd turn them on and go fishing. They are mini computers now. If you are running your fish finder in AUTO mode then it is not working to it full potential. We're dialing ours in multiple times throughout the day. Different water columns will ping back differently. When you get good with the settings, which honestly aren't that hard if you play with them, you can really get some good data from what's below the boat. For example.....ever walk or swim through the water at the beach and your legs hit a cold pocket? Those are all over the place. If you tune your fish finder in good enough you can see those below your boat. That's how amazing these units are now.

By the way you cant break these by playing with settings. There is a restore default mode that fixes everything.

I troll and made the mistake of buying the Helix 5, it doesnt even make a good boat anchor, its the farthest thing from auto,i'd spend less time playing with a video game, I wanted simple and some bonehead at bass pro sold me on this unit, it's exactly what I didnt want, so much for listening to some pencile pusher and not a real fisherman.

I want you to be happy with your purchase, and a lot of people don't get as much time on the water as they would like to. I understand when you're on the water you want to fish and not play with electronics. I wrote up a very detailed post on the Humminbird settings for trolling, and it has been copied into this thread. It will work on the HELIX menu as well. For the most part if you take my settings you can set it and forget it and it'll be just fine with a tweak every now and again.

To answer the OP question about SI and DI. It really is meant for finding structure. We've added it to the boat this year, and we've been playing with it in the shallows the last two weeks. My main reason for it was to see what side of the boat the bait was really on. I watched it work in Qunite this fall and I was very impressed. On his set-up his outboard did affect the signal, and had to be tilted up when he wanted to use it.

Fish Finders aren't like they were back in the 80s and 90s. You'd turn them on and go fishing. They are mini computers now. If you are running your fish finder in AUTO mode then it is not working to it full potential. We're dialing ours in multiple times throughout the day. Different water columns will ping back differently. When you get good with the settings, which honestly aren't that hard if you play with them, you can really get some good data from what's below the boat. For example.....ever walk or swim through the water at the beach and your legs hit a cold pocket? Those are all over the place. If you tune your fish finder in good enough you can see those below your boat. That's how amazing these units are now.

By the way you cant break these by playing with settings. There is a restore default mode that fixes everything.

x2 also take the extra time to read your instruction manual, some times updates change menu's and how things are displayed, also I know Lowrance and probably other makes add a revision or update to the manual online(usually after a software update).

Trust me reading a 50+ page manual is not my idea of fun,but it saves you time on the water and makes it more enjoyable.

I just noticed a Lowrance update online for all you HDS gen 2 Touch

Edited by ram

I spent the bucks a couple years ago and added down scan and side imaging to my system. Was it worth it probably not is it cool to see my divers going out and bait on the side of the boat at times yup. LOL. Now lots of units are coming with it so why not have it. As for using the sonar like stated above get out and dive into it. You will find stuff you never knew you had on it. I adjust it all day long depending on water temp, clarity, and depth. Best thing you can do is get a good transducer I upgraded mine and it made a big difference. Sean

• 3 years later...

The information on that page on the website is a good example of an "apples and oranges" comparison. Each of those units is an example of special purpose use and it depends on what purpose or particular fishing YOU have in mind for starters. Before looking any further you need to decide what YOUR needs are and not just ask for an easy answer to a complex decision. Then  do some research based on those needs including reading reviews etc. and then pose questions here about comparisons of particular units based on your needs. It is virtually impossible to answer your original question accurately the way it is posed above.