Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GAMBLER

All done with Rage broadheads

Recommended Posts

Last night over at Gators land, I shot a doe with my crossbow. We found her after crawling around the woods finding pin drops of blood. I have been shooting the Rage broadheads for three years now. After examining the broadhead, hair jammed the blades and kept them from opening. They opened less than a quarter of the way. I am going to fixed blade broadheads. Anyone have a good recommendation for a good fixed blade broadhead??

IMG_4129.JPG
 
 
Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

IMG_4129.HEIC

Edited by GAMBLER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mechanical broadheads are just what they say (mechanical) you do however have to service them. You can't beat how accurate they are. I would say the blades should have been open before the hair even got that far. You should always test your mechanical broadhead to make sure it if working free before you knock the arrow it is on, if it don't feel right grab another one out of your quiver. I feel the same about a muzzle loader that don't fire ( human error). Back to the broadheads carbon blades will rust for sure...but those looked stainless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GAMBLER said:

Last night over at Gators land, I shot a doe with my crossbow. We found her after crawling around the woods finding pin drops of blood. I have been shooting the Rage broadheads for three years now. After examining the broadhead, hair jammed the blades and kept them from opening. They opened less than a quarter of the way. I am going to fixed blade broadheads. Anyone have a good recommendation for a good fixed blade broadhead??

IMG_4129.JPG
 
 
Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Curious - how did you have the shock collar aligned?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mechanical broadheads are just what they say (mechanical) you do however have to service them. You can't beat how accurate they are. I would say the blades should have been open before the hair even got that far. You should always test your mechanical broadhead to make sure it if working free before you knock the arrow it is on, if it don't feel right grab another one out of your quiver. I feel the same about a muzzle loader that don't fire ( human error). Back to the broadheads carbon blades will rust for sure...but those looked stainless. 

They were brand new out of the package.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hair was not allowing the blades to move. Once I cleaned the hair out of the blades they worked.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds similar to the problem often encountered with many hollowpoint handgun bullets when material plugs the hole they fail to expand. Doesn't seem to take much either paper, flannel etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The hair was not allowing the blades to move. Once I cleaned the hair out of the blades they worked.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

How did you install the collar!!! The collar can also prevent the blades from moving


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

g5 striker like whaler said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hair was not allowing the blades to move. Once I cleaned the hair out of the blades they worked.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did you install the collar!!! The collar can also prevent the blades from moving

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The collar only keeps the O ring from expanding and keeps the blades from expanding during flight. It breaks away on impact. There is only two ways to install it. Right side up or up side down. There is no aligning it.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s not necessarily true (not implying that you had them wrong). The original rage used just the o ring, the last generation used just the slip cam, the new ones use both for whatever reason. When you align the slip cam the “petals” are supposed to be centered over the lips on the blades. If they’re lined up with the slits between the pedals it can cause issues with the blades deploying. If the slip cam did not allow the blades to fully deploy then the hair could’ve got in there and locked them up further. You’d have to imagine that with as fast as that arrow is moving from an xbow and the energy behind it that the hair would not have time to stop the blades from deploying (never had a problem like that with a compound). Not saying your wrong, stranger things have happened, just playing devils advocate.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The collar is blown apart as you can see in the picture. The blades did not deploy even after the bolt was stuck to the fletchings in the ground behind the deer.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've shot over 20 with the rage and have watched all but 3 die from the stand. 2 of the 3 I recovered and the third was all my fault. The rage's have always opened for me. I personally wouldn't switch, but if you aren't confident don't use them. I have known several other guys that struggled with the rage.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

The collar only keeps the O ring from expanding and keeps the blades from expanding during flight. It breaks away on impact. There is only two ways to install it. Right side up or up side down. There is no aligning it.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

you are wrong - see pelt hunter above. There's a proper way to install the collar

 

FYI - I shoot Muzzy fixed 100grains and have no affiliation with Rage whatsoever, but it's important to install the collar correctly otherwise the blades won't deploy properly

Edited by momay4000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, PeltHunter said:

That’s not necessarily true (not implying that you had them wrong). The original rage used just the o ring, the last generation used just the slip cam, the new ones use both for whatever reason. When you align the slip cam the “petals” are supposed to be centered over the lips on the blades. If they’re lined up with the slits between the pedals it can cause issues with the blades deploying. If the slip cam did not allow the blades to fully deploy then the hair could’ve got in there and locked them up further. You’d have to imagine that with as fast as that arrow is moving from an xbow and the energy behind it that the hair would not have time to stop the blades from deploying (never had a problem like that with a compound). Not saying your wrong, stranger things have happened, just playing devils advocate.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

100% correct - excellent explanation and post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×