Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted (edited)

Hello, Does anyone know where to net some smelt in New York?  I know they used to run the creeks of Lake Ontario and the Finger lakes, but it seems they aren't fished for much anymore.  And I have never tried.  Any assistance would be appreciated.   

Thanks, 

Chris 

ps.  A Snook 30" I caught in Florida couple weeks ago.  Unfortunately the season has been closed because of last years Red tide. So it was released successfully. 😊 for next time.

20190213_212918.jpg

Edited by cadr333

Smelt are hard to find these days and I'm not optimistic anyone who knows a real viable spot will share, but good luck.  Invent a time machine and I'll take you myself!!!!

Justin is right there are very few places where they exist in any numbers now. As kids we used to get them in most streams in the Fingers  and Fairhaven etc..but those days are pretty much gone. There is one lake that freezes over where they can be caught at night through the ice but I am not at liberty to mention it without being "strung up". To some they are considered a delicacy while I still consider them "bait":lol:

I love them battered and fried.  Thanks for the information.   I wonder why the decline?  I chased some salmon this Summer who were attacking a silvery with brownish top baitfish out in the lake near the Oswego powerplant.   Wonder what they were.  I assumed smelt.  Grew up fishing the Gulf of Mexico and I have a boat now and attempting to learn boat fishing up here.