State Police

Just a little heads up to the wise...the New York State Police have decided to start having a very active presence on the Finger Lakes starting this year.  They are doing boat pre launch safety and registration checks, they are stopping boats on the water for checks, and they are conducting law enforcement searches.  If you are putting a boat in the water on the Finger Lakes this season I advise you to be in compliance with all New York Boating and Registration laws, make sure you have flares with current dates, distress flag, fire extinguishers, pfds for all on board, dewatering device, sound producing device, and that you not be out drinking and driving the boat.  You should also have a first aid kit.  Kayakers need a whistle and have a pfd on or available.  They have started slipping a boat in Cayuga and trailering to other lakes regularly.  Free safety inspections are available through the USCG Auxiliary base located in Ithaca on the inlet and we send people out periodically to different marinas as a courtesy inspection.  I would hate to see any friends on here fined or ticketed.  I personally am quite happy to see it, as I see seriously dumb and reckless stuff on the water too often.  It is always a good idea to take some time to do your own safety check each season test your bilge pumps, make sure your horns work, and many of your boats are not equipped with marine radios when they should be, get a portable one if need be so you can reach out for help....there is also a USCG app now for  smart phones it has an emergency contact button that gives you your immediate gps location and ways to contact for help.

Be safe out there please...and have a great boating season...

• Like 1

I wonder if they will go after texting while boating..

You have any ID?

About what?

Thanks for the heads up. I am sure I am compliant but I have never had my trailer inspected in 20 yrs.I think I will get it done.

I know it will pass.Don't  want the hassle. BTW I don't text.

I was on Cayuga yesterday and was inspected by the State Police. The two officers were very pleasant while doing their inspection and cut be a break when they found I was missing a few items. I believe this may have been because they crossed one of my lines and sucked it into their prop. Good news is that the rapola was saved.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It's a little embarrassing to mention all I was missing because I knew some items weren't aboard. I borrowed a buddies boat that is being outfitted this week but with such a beautiful day i had go out.

We didn't have a horn/whistle, flare gun, or throwable flotation device. Like I said the officers were very nice, checked my fishing and drivers license then asked us to get the missing items on board.

What items were you missing? Could help others out. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was on Cayuga yesterday and was inspected by the State Police. The two officers were very pleasant while doing their inspection and cut be a break when they found I was missing a few items. I believe this may have been because they crossed one of my lines and sucked it into their prop. Good news is that the rapola was saved.

I’m glad you didn’t get the book thrown at you KTM!!! I heard the state police got the funding this year to patrol the lakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks for the heads up Mark. A lot of crazy and dangerous stuff goes on out on these lakes so maybe folks should think about the safety benefits and the fact that these regulations are based on logic and common sense which not everyone has out there.  I saw a couple things just today on Canandaigua that could have resulted in perssonal injury and more (e.g. cigar boat showing off at the ramp, kids sitting on the bow of the boat going full blast with no PFD). Many times fishing at night on Honeoye I have witnessed numerous boats traveling at high speed without lights whooping and hollering  and clinking bottles and  cans  We should be supporting the police in their efforts rather than complaining about logical boating requirements. The state police aren't Cuomo's money grabbing cronies they are just folks doing their jobs. As fisherpersons out there we have the responsibility to serve as good examples for the boating public by adhering to the regs and it doesn't mean we are wimps for doing so since most of us are more than casual boaters and should know enough to have the required equipment on our boats.It isn't some unreasonable requirement. There are people out there that have no business driving a boat and they present a danger to all of us.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the enforcement but I question the use of the State Police. It seems that this has been a job by local sheriffs departments and they are on the water and do a good job.  As far as the regs go, I would suggest that we all refresh ourseves periodiccally since they can change.  Rules are different for under 16' vs between16'and 26'. For example,  you do not need a fire extinguisher if you carry an exposed portable gas tank and it is not under a seat but why wouldn't you? You also do not need flares as long as you have the CG approved distress flag and again, why wouldn't you.  And, in case you do have all the required CG safety equipment there are sometimes additional requirements by local towns and counties.  I once was warned on I bay about carrying a rag on board to mop up an oil spill or if I was willing to use my shirt. Local ordinance for that one. They can get picky!

Unwarranted inspection is harassment. [emoji106]

If your trolling a long and your not doing any thing illegal that would warrant probable cause then they should leave you a lone. They can't legally just come up to your boat and demand to inspect your boat. I remember as a kid they tried to do unwarranted inspections... Got told where to go...

Sent from my moto e5 play using Lake Ontario United mobile app

7 minutes ago, FishingTheFL said:

Unwarranted inspection is harassment. emoji106.png

If your trolling a long and your not doing any thing illegal that would warrant probable cause then they should leave you a lone. They can't legally just come up to your boat and demand to inspect your boat. I remember as a kid they tried to do unwarranted inspections... Got told where to go...

I wonder how it would go for you to tell a Statey where to go when he checks your registration and inspection stickers at a check station.

I do everything legal. I have been harrassed by coast guard in the 1000 islands before. What I am getting at is don't be an idiot and they won't have a reason to come after you. I've told several young officers off before and came out without tickets. Just because they have a badge doesn't mean their always right.

6 minutes ago, trouthunter24 said:

I wonder how it would go for you to tell a Statey where to go when he checks your registration and inspection stickers at a check station.

I would pay good money to watch 😂

• Like 1

Word is a mandatory boater safety class will be required next with no grandfather clause if you have been a long time boater. I took my safety class in high school so no way I have record of having taken. 

I have a problem with all these so called "safety inspections"..   IMHO the are harassment, nothing more.

Once the state gets involved in ""boater safety"", its get stifling in some areas,, I dare anyone here to try and boat in the coastal waters around LI, NYC, NJ, and staten Island... There are county marine police, municipal marine patrols,, State marine police, USCG, and NY /NJ DEC.. Constant "stop and frisk", constant annoyance. If you get caught crossing the NY/NJ   "line" wherever that is, and you are caught its a big fine unless you have a "boaters safety course" certificate on your person.. In other words, You can fish the NY side of the bay, but not allowed to fish the NJ side or even cross the line...  I was hoping that sort of CRAP was not going to happen upstate, but its a money maker I suppose, and I should not be surprised.. I can see it on  the Great Lakes I suppose,, because they can be killers.. The Fingers  are windy and you might get blown  30 miles from your ramp, but if the boat floats you won't drown.  Are they going to go after the guys in 30 footers trolling mid lake  or the guys with 12 footers, w 6 HP outboards fishing the shoreline for Bluegills?...  

Sorry for the rant, but in close to 50 years of boating, in NJ and NY, I have never felt "safer" because the state Marine Police were doing "safety inspections". I have felt more   annoyed and aggravated however... bob

So far they have been giving warnings and having operated a charter for two and a half years on Cayuga the DEC have never asked me to stop trolling they have come alongside and required we hold up fishing licenses and our catch and pfds.  These folks have always been respectful and professional.  I met the troopers and found them professional and kind.  I observed their launch inspection and found it to be the same.  

The other-side of this argument is that people regularly out of ignorance do stupid things then they and the USCG are called to rescue or recover the bodies.  When if we had prevented an issue with a safety check or a patrol a life may have been saved.  I believe our work saves lives.

We sent multiple oblivious kayakers back to shore this weekend kayaking above 60 degree water with no pfd aboard and no whistle.  End up in the water at that temp and you will be in trouble quick.  As would a boater.

Unfortunately some freedoms get sacrificed for safety...in my opinion militant anger over it is misplaced... be called out to recover the bodies of someone’s loved ones and a broader picture may come into focus ...

The point of my post was clear as just a heads up in hoping people that hit the water this year would take some time to review their gear and the regs and have a safer boating season... with the added incentive that others will be watching at increased levels...

safe boating