Jump to content

Legacy -The 2019 Season-


Recommended Posts

Yes, your doe ratio appears “off”.  The week I spent in Kansas was an eye opener for me. In 2011 CWD and blue-tongue wiped out a ton of deer out west. The diseases killed indiscriminately buck or doe, young or old, at all times of the year. The result of equal killing of the sexes is a buck to doe ratio that is dam close to one-to-one. The intense competition for does was evident. I had a close encounter chase scene every day in the woods. Here in NY, I may see one per year!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

Yes, your doe ratio appears “off”.  The week I spent in Kansas was an eye opener for me. In 2011 CWD and blue-tongue wiped out a ton of deer out west. The diseases killed indiscriminately buck or doe, young or old, at all times of the year. The result of equal killing of the sexes is a buck to doe ratio that is dam close to one-to-one. The intense competition for does was evident. I had a close encounter chase scene every day in the woods. Here in NY, I may see one per year!  

This seems so odd to me, because NY residents seem to have a good grasp on this and take quite a few does. Yet, there are so so many female deer around. Maybe just too many people passing on the large matriarchs?

Edited by idn713
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Rob, for a great thread
Yeah I'm a lurker, but I love my morning and afternoon reads. You guys are always there with me. I've been out every day since oct. 15. It's been a fun ride. Its nice to see everyone's day to day and see how it varies from where hunt. As I truly love my archery season, it wasn't one I scored in. But knowing gun was on, I kept going. It ended up awesome. .. no pics are really necessary but thanks everyone for the read

Sent from my SM-G892A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, idn713 said:

This seems so odd to me, because NY residents seem to have a good grasp on this and take quite a few does. Yet, there are so so many female deer around. Maybe just too many people passing on the large matriarchs?


I think it has to do with our winters killing bucks weakened from rut and the fact we can shoot two bucks per season. Kansas only allows one buck per season and has easy winters. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Biggest problem im see is that one land owner with 20 acres will have a group of guys and take out 3 1.5 old bucks and a 2.5 opening am and then go on the rest of the season filling his families tags while 80 percent of us guys that hunt 100 acres and better in the block practice qdma Idk y but some guys have it in their mind that the deer (bucks) just replenish themselves year after year seems to be more enjoyable shooting everything they see walking then enjoying close encounters with nice young looking bucks to each their own like the guys say def a lot of doe sightings daily from stand so it’s not that they are just seeing the bucks and no doe I sometime wish I could be like them and just pile a bunch of bucks up N cut the rack off toss in garage without a quilty conscience but I don’t have it in me also know there will

never be a mature deer around sorry for my rant just the aftermath of opening weekend lol

Edited by fisherman85
Link to post
Share on other sites
This seems so odd to me, because NY residents seem to have a good grasp on this and take quite a few does. Yet, there are so so many female deer around. Maybe just too many people passing on the large matriarchs?

The property I hunted this weekend is a lease. We took one buck last year and 7 doe. Not much pressure up there before we got it. Herd definitely needs thinning. There's a doe up there the size of a pony.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gill-T said:


I think it has to do with our winters killing bucks weakened from rut and the fact we can shoot two bucks per season. Kansas only allows one buck per season and has easy winters. 

Our winters are tough, but I am not sure that affects the WNY bucks as much. There is so much fruit and agriculture here that it’s gotta help them tremendously through the winter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just explaining the problems with deer management with my wife yesterday.

 

Traditional  = Harvest buck regardless of age or rack size and don't shoot doe.

QDM = Pick and choose which deer gets harvested

Trophy = Shoot every doe possible and only bucks over 4.5 and sometimes 5.5 years.

 

These are the ones that are explained in detail but they always leave out the obvious one and that is the Opportunity management style which a hunter has tags and fills them as they can and not as they see fit.

 

I have all 4 of these scenarios as neighbors.  Deer can move miles so if everyone of the small parcels is doing something different there is a good chance it all evens out.  I am not going to harvest a 2.5 10pt because I am worried the neighbor is going to shoot it.  If I harvest it, it is because I wanted to and not because I want to get it because I am worried one of my neighbors will not let it pass. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, idn713 said:

Our winters are tough, but I am not sure that affects the WNY bucks as much. There is so much fruit and agriculture here that it’s gotta help them tremendously through the winter. 

Coyotes are definitely putting a hurt on deer up

north where I am. All I saw was coyotes and coyote tracks. Nobody getting them up

there. I do when I can but that’s just a drop

in the bucket  I seen a pack of 7

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fisherman85 said:

Biggest problem im see is that one land owner with 20 acres will have a group of guys and take out 3 1.5 old bucks and a 2.5 opening am and then go on the rest of the season filling his families tags while 80 percent of us guys that hunt 100 acres and better in the block practice qdma Idk y but some guys have it in their mind that the deer (bucks) just replenish themselves year after year seems to be more enjoyable shooting everything they see walking then enjoying close encounters with nice young looking bucks to each their own like the guys say def a lot of doe sightings daily from stand so it’s not that they are just seeing the bucks and no doe I sometime wish I could be like them and just pile a bunch of bucks up N cut the rack off toss in garage without a quilty conscience but I don’t have it in me also know there will

never be a mature deer around sorry for my rant just the aftermath of opening weekend lol

Couldn’t agree more  let him walk last year a young basket 10. And this year I harvested him after passing several smaller bucks  if you let the young bucks walk you get more big bucks better quality and they breed the doe. For more deer. Next year nobody needs 6 deer in the freezer 

5A710337-BB9A-4974-B906-16BA63763922.jpeg

70BE1EEA-8860-4EFB-9F2F-DEFE40806BCF.jpeg

F66EAA7A-8B4E-4A1E-9547-EC5D84891337.jpeg

5E232CF5-BF5E-48A9-8FF6-1FAC80AFA442.png

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, BSmaster said:

I was just explaining the problems with deer management with my wife yesterday.

 

Traditional  = Harvest buck regardless of age or rack size and don't shoot doe.

QDM = Pick and choose which deer gets harvested

Trophy = Shoot every doe possible and only bucks over 4.5 and sometimes 5.5 years.

 

These are the ones that are explained in detail but they always leave out the obvious one and that is the Opportunity management style which a hunter has tags and fills them as they can and not as they see fit.

 

I have all 4 of these scenarios as neighbors.  Deer can move miles so if everyone of the small parcels is doing something different there is a good chance it all evens out.  I am not going to harvest a 2.5 10pt because I am worried the neighbor is going to shoot it.  If I harvest it, it is because I wanted to and not because I want to get it because I am worried one of my neighbors will not let it pass. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy has been around our property for years. If he comes around I’d love to put an arrow in him but I’ve never seen him in person. IMG_0488.JPG


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Link to post
Share on other sites

Love following this topic daily but talk about buck envy! We're running at a 1-10 buck to doe ratio this year by the looks of things and only two mature ones, both still on the hoof. I put a doe & a spike in the freezer during crossbow and didn't see either of the decent bucks this weekend. Figured if I staked out the doe (11 on Saturday am, 9 on Sunday pm) one would show up but not yet. Good luck out there!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
something sketchy about this...............

Yeah who kills a deer of that caliber and doesn’t take a nice picture with it
Word around the area is it was poached on private property???


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...