Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Delons

21ft penn yan

I have a 1990 penn yan tournament  with a 4.3 chevy engine ...boat runs absolutely perfect ..the prob I am having is when on plane trimmed up around 31-32mph boat leans hard to the left ....anyone can help solve this dilemma I am having ...has new outdrive and new prop!

Check the trim tab above the prop on the new lower unit and make sure it is straight and not adjusted left or right.  It is the triangle looking piece.  

You may have to play with it under actual conditions to get the best result. While the water is warm might want to go into a shallow area get into the water try slight movement/adjustments and then try it out each time doing that to get the "best fit" just a suggestion....

If it is pulling to the left turn the tab to the left standing at the rear of the outdrive.  Turn it in increments - you should see improvement in how your wheel feels.

22 hours ago, Delons said:

plane trimmed up around 31-32mph boat leans hard to the left

The boat itself leans over to the port or the steering pulls hard to port? 

If that's the case the above mentioned remedies are for a hard pull at the steering wheel & will not correct the issue your having. Does the boat have trim tabs on the transom or not?

Have a look a Nautico Smart Tabs. They can be set so you can put more lift on one side of the boat constantly. I have the on my 2 boats and they solved my problems very well. $99 on line at Iboats
They call them a factory cosmetic blem at that price but I can see nothing wrong with them.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I just looked them up on internet ...very easy installation....I am sure that would fix the problem I am having .. did u go with the smart tabs or electric tabs so u can control movement of the tabs? Idk which way I should go....

I used the smart tabs. No electrics or hydraulics involved. You can set the load higher on one side by moving the self contained cylinder to a different mount hole. Should help your problem.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have had both types of tabs. The smart tabs work good as are advertised but you will not be able to control varying side to side load shifts such as people or coolers and sea conditions.  I took off the smart tabs and installed the Lenco electric tabs and that takes care all load and sea conditions while on the fly. 

• Like 1

Tabs will help correct the list,  but does not fix the root problem...why is it listing... we did not build the 212 to list at speed.

You have some hull issue happening...give me a call and I can walk you through diagnosing the actual problem if you want

TJ @Penn Yan Boats

516-652-6855