Inside dipsey on wire. Outside dipsey..?

Wire: Mag Dipsy inside and deep on the short 8' rod, 1 setting, #5/124 mm Deeper Diver outside on the long 9 1/2 foot rod 2 1/2 setting.Set them in whatever order you want, but let them deploy slowly, usually I just back the drag off the reel and allow them to pull out. Too fast and you'll have a wire tangle. But don't worry - it happens like once every two years, and usually in crazy wind and current when your gut is telling you that you shouldn't have tried to run four Dipsys in the set.

I run 30# Fireline on my outside divers. It works fine with a mag inside on 1.5 on 8' wire rods and outside on 9'6" rods with fireline and mag or regular dipsy on 3.

The only reason I do it is because the Fireline setups are so versatile though. I use them for early season smaller divers, late season flat lining for stagers, big water walleye, etc.The Fireline doesn't seem to get fleas as bad as other braids so I can usually use them all year, although I have had short periods when those super fleas show up and I put 'em away for a while.

If I was just fishing salmon I'd go with all 4 wires.

Edited by Chowdaire
added mag

21 hours ago, Gator said:

Wire: Mag Dipsy inside and deep on the short 8' rod, 1 setting, #5/124 mm Deeper Diver outside on the long 9 1/2 foot rod 2 1/2 setting.Set them in whatever order you want, but let them deploy slowly, usually I just back the drag off the reel and allow them to pull out. Too fast and you'll have a wire tangle. But don't worry - it happens like once every two years, and usually in crazy wind and current when your gut is telling you that you shouldn't have tried to run four Dipsys in the set.

Yes, this ... but for beginners I'd say set the outside ones first.  The reason is, until you've locked the real and it bites deep into the water, even on a 2 1/2 or 3 setting, the dipsey is not pulling out to the side as much ... it's like just sinking in the water straight down where you plonked it in (on the extreme) ... which is why Gator is saying let it out slowly, so it bites and pulls a bit to the side ... but if you don't know how to do that, and have the inside dipsey deployed ... you can drop the outside dipsey down too fast, it can be inside of the inside diver! Then when you lock that real ... it grips into the water and pulls to the side, right into the inside wire and cause a massive tangle.

If I haven't written that clearly, just trust me and put the outside divers out first.  It'll save you a lot of headaches. If the outside diver hits with a fish, and you real it in and want to redeploy, the safer option is to pull the inside line, then deploy the outside first.  Good time to check or change the inside wire bait.  Once you get good at it, you can deploy the outside without retrieving the inside.

19 hours ago, Bustersit said:

Ok I have decided I will run 4 wire

What is a really good wire reel with a line counter.

I need to buy two more reels

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I surprisingly got really good life out of the Convector CV30D's.  I don't think you can get better value for money.

Takota  600's are nice, but $$.

3 hours ago, TyeeTanic said:

I surprisingly got really good life out of the Convector CV30D's.  I don't think you can get better value for money.

Takota  600's are nice, but $$.

Totally agree. Saltiest and Tekotas are top shelf reels. No question. However you can get 2 high speed Convector CV30DS's for the price of one of the others. Whenever I try to justify a new fishing purchase, I remind myself we fish the Great Lakes for maybe 4-5 months. It's not Key West.  :happy2:

When i run 4 diver rods my rods are all the same length and the same action. Been doing it more then 20 years without a problem. I have 48" of traxtech track on each side of boat. Each track has a rigger, a ball cradle, and 4 traxtech adjustable rod holders mounted to it in that order. On Lake O. I prefer 4 wire divers, if I'm gonna run 4. Typically I'd run outside diver on a 3 in holder furthest forward on track. Inside diver on a 1 or 1.5 in holder closest to rigger or 2nd closest to rigger. Holders are all at same angle to water- horizontal. Rods are 9ft Talora medium action roller rods. Reels are Tekota 600LCs. Big thing I like is all diver rods have the same bend while trolling. Never had problem with rods whacking into each other when hooked up. On L. Erie  we'll run same way but rods are 10ft Eagle Claw diver rods. Love the soft action they have for soft mouthed walleye. On Erie we  run wire on inside divers and braid on high divers. Deploying slow is hugh!! Just my 2 cents. 

All my diver reels have line counters. I use the Tekota 600LC for L.Ontario. On Erie I use Daiwa 47 Sealine Line counters. I'm not experienced with Okuma reels but hear good things about some but not all for alot less money. The Eagle Claw 10ft diver rod could be used on both lakes IMHO. Its a $30 rod.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 2:39 PM, Bustersit said:

With no line counter?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Get the line counter ... you need that for wire ... I mean there's other ways to figure out how much line out ... but they are a pain in the backside. I would never do that while trying to attend to a few other rods.