Legacy -The 2023 Deer Season-

Legacy

Quick story on the buck I checked the camera yesterday and had him on it on 10/26 with another big 8.. told the wife cross bow opens tomorrow if you wanna go she said yes so we got down to the spot the wife’s in loafers cause it’s 55 degrees about 7am , loud walk in deer busting everywhere finally get her settled where these bucks are cruising threw, I get down in a gully about 200 yards away rattled a 2 point in shes seeing deer.. I text her at 945 said give it till 1030 then we’ll head out.. 10 she texts me and says big buck running toward you make noise so I rattled and here he comes down the gully looking for a fight stops looks around walks about 20 yards shot him his ears went back two steps looked around stood for 2 minutes and fell.. small fixed heads never new what hit him!

IMG_2375.png

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Roys Boys said:

Quick story on the buck I checked the camera yesterday and had him on it on 10/26 with another big 8.. told the wife cross bow opens tomorrow if you wanna go she said yes so we got down to the spot the wife’s in loafers cause it’s 55 degrees about 7am , loud walk in deer busting everywhere finally get her settled where these bucks are cruising threw, I get down in a gully about 200 yards away rattled a 2 point in shes seeing deer.. I text her at 945 said give it till 1030 then we’ll head out.. 10 she texts me and says big buck running toward you make noise so I rattled and here he comes down the gully looking for a fight stops looks around walks about 20 yards shot him his ears went back two steps looked around stood for 2 minutes and fell.. small fixed heads never new what hit him!

IMG_2375.png

Congrats Steve!

• Like 1

This is too good not to share....

This is Hunting.

It will break your heart and you will go days without getting so much as a shot at an animal.

You will miss your shot.

You will see garbage in the bush, and have to pick it up.

You will wound something one day, and it will make you cry.

It will teach you life lessons.

You will learn that one more minute can make all the difference.

You will learn that life doesn't care...the weather warms up anyways, the wind changes direction, and all you can do is work with it.

You will learn patience and determination.

It will inspire you.

You will see a mother and her baby, and your heart will swell.

You will be humbled by that doe blowing at you, less than 10 yards away.

You will see the beauty of dawn.

You will learn the feeling of being prey.

You will see things so beautiful, others seem dull in comparison.

You will speak to another species.

This is hunting.

It will make you vulnerable.

You might cry over the animals you shoot.

You might make mistakes and fret over the what ifs.

You will face your own worst enemy in the bush: yourself.

You will have to walk through the dark, basically blind deaf and dumb.

You will learn the bittersweet feeling of letting an animal live, or choosing to kill one.

You will learn the important balance of life and death.

You will become ..... you.

You will learn passion, grit, strength, emotion, Independence, determination, empathy, silence and peace.

It is where you will learn your most valuable lessons.

It is where you will make your best memories.

It is where you will cry, laugh, and love.

It is where you learn to be still and be quiet.

It is what you will devote your life to, and never regret it.

This is what we call Hunting.

~ Cody Bret

Pc - Josh S.

Author - Emma Fimrite

• Like 5

Had a rough day yesterday had a good shooter pass close by at 7:30 am and my shot was deflected buy an unseen branch. Shook it off and remained in stand saw a couple more small buck. Then at 10:30am I heard gravel falling from the rail road bed and readied myself and through the thickets came a huge shooter he walked into my window at 33 yds and I release seeing my arrow heading straight for the boiler room only to see it fly right under his brisket. He jumped back into the brush none for the worse other than a little haircut . I found a couple of strands of hair mixed in the muddy broadhead when I retrieved it. Human error I help on him for 20 yds not 30 yds I guess he had me a little unhinged.

I left the woods after that for 2 hours then decided to end my pity party and get back in the stand. I sat from 1:30 pm till dark only seeing a coyote which  almost gave me a shot 3 times but not quite.

wind change had me hunt in my stand on the opposite side of the thick center bedding area.

I saw a couple small buck early sniffing around. I started thinking mature bucks were locked up again.

Shortly after a doe runs by and heads into thickets I look back and see the big shooter from the day before!

He runs after her but further away and gives me no shot. Soon after a parade of small bucks coming from all different directions ( now is the time to be hunting doe bedrooms)

I didn’t plan on sitting all day but I said to myself “you are not leaving the woods today!”

Shortly after the big shooter from earlier works back though the thickets 

Too far and thick for any kind of shot.

I grunt to him and get his attention and for a split seconds it looks like he’s going to come! But that was fleeting he headed away nose to ground. 30 seconds later a 2 1/2 year old buck follows him.

Im thinking I just can’t catch a break.

I settle back in and start to watch the football game on my phone.

After Chiefs  1st TD I hear rustling and look to my left and hear comes the 10 pt I’ve got pictures off. Big bodied mature buck but not real wide.

I said he keeps coming I’m gonna take him. He came in on a string and stopped then turned broadside at 15 yds. The rest is history . I saw the arrow hit and knew he was done,he ran off through the woods hung a right and I lost sight of him but heard him crash. I waited 20 minutes got down didn’t even look for blood just through the woods to where I heard him crash to see the white belly dead as a door nail. He is now hung in my shed, my cousin and I dragged him out whole as I didn’t want to leave guts in the area especially with coyotes running around. He weights 170lbs  gutted so he went over 200lbs live weight

IMG_4387.jpeg

IMG_4394.jpeg

Edited by dvdegeorge
  • Like 12

Wife shot under a beautiful 8 with the crossbow.. I told her second pin and it shoulda been 3rd.. unfortunately I didn’t bring the range finder deer got a free hair cut and was walking around like nothing happened 

20 hours ago, dvdegeorge said:

Had a rough day yesterday had a good shooter pass close by at 7:30 am and my shot was deflected buy an unseen branch. Shook it off and remained in stand saw a couple more small buck. Then at 10:30am I heard gravel falling from the rail road bed and readied myself and through the thickets came a huge shooter he walked into my window at 33 yds and I release seeing my arrow heading straight for the boiler room only to see it fly right under his brisket. He jumped back into the brush none for the worse other than a little haircut . I found a couple of strands of hair mixed in the muddy broadhead when I retrieved it. Human error I help on him for 20 yds not 30 yds I guess he had me a little unhinged.

I left the woods after that for 2 hours then decided to end my pity party and get back in the stand. I sat from 1:30 pm till dark only seeing a coyote which  almost gave me a shot 3 times but not quite.

wind change had me hunt in my stand on the opposite side of the thick center bedding area.

I saw a couple small buck early sniffing around. I started thinking mature bucks were locked up again.

Shortly after a doe runs by and heads into thickets I look back and see the big shooter from the day before!

He runs after her but further away and gives me no shot. Soon after a parade of small bucks coming from all different directions ( now is the time to be hunting doe bedrooms)

I didn’t plan on sitting all day but I said to myself “you are not leaving the woods today!”

Shortly after the big shooter from earlier works back though the thickets 

Too far and thick for any kind of shot.

I grunt to him and get his attention and for a split seconds it looks like he’s going to come! But that was fleeting he headed away nose to ground. 30 seconds later a 2 1/2 year old buck follows him.

Im thinking I just can’t catch a break.

I settle back in and start to watch the football game on my phone.

After Chiefs  1st TD I hear rustling and look to my left and hear comes the 10 pt I’ve got pictures off. Big bodied mature buck but not real wide.

I said he keeps coming I’m gonna take him. He came in on a string and stopped then turned broadside at 15 yds. The rest is history . I saw the arrow hit and knew he was done,he ran off through the woods hung a right and I lost sight of him but heard him crash. I waited 20 minutes got down didn’t even look for blood just through the woods to where I heard him crash to see the white belly dead as a door nail. He is now hung in my shed, my cousin and I dragged him out whole as I didn’t want to leave guts in the area especially with coyotes running around. He weights 170lbs  gutted so he went over 200lbs live weight

IMG_4387.jpeg

IMG_4394.jpeg

Congratulations Dan !!

• Like 1

We’ll we haven’t had too much time on the stand with work and sports. My youngest has been busy with football so this weekend was his first chance out with the bow. Deer were on the move as mentioned on here but wind was not in our favor yesterday. North wind screwed our plans so plan B it was.  Wasn’t long before two scrub bucks made their way out in front of us. Brodys adrenaline was on high tilt telling me he wanted the one buck. So as they split up, a couple grunts here he comes on a string. 20yds he let the arrow fly. Great qtr away shot with a pass through and a 75 yd track into the swamp to find his deer. Not a big one,  but that’s two bucks under his belt with a bow at 15 yrs.  Proud of him as I didn’t have his demeanor and discipline at that age in the stand. I think a bigger one is soon in store for him in coming years. Congrats to all who have scored and to those who are just on the verge of letting one fly to the boiler room.

IMG_6839.jpeg

IMG_6845.jpeg

IMG_6826.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Frogger said:

We’ll we haven’t had too much time on the stand with work and sports. My youngest has been busy with football so this weekend was his first chance out with the bow. Deer were on the move as mentioned on here but wind was not in our favor yesterday. North wind screwed our plans so plan B it was.  Wasn’t long before two scrub bucks made their way out in front of us. Brodys adrenaline was on high tilt telling me he wanted the one buck. So as they split up, a couple grunts here he comes on a string. 20yds he let the arrow fly. Great qtr away shot with a pass through and a 75 yd track into the swamp to find his deer. Not a big one,  but that’s two bucks under his belt with a bow at 15 yrs.  Proud of him as I didn’t have his demeanor and discipline at that age in the stand. I think a bigger one is soon in store for him in coming years. Congrats to all who have scored and to those who are just on the verge of letting one fly to the boiler room.

IMG_6839.jpeg

IMG_6845.jpeg

IMG_6826.jpeg

Way to go congrats to you both!

• Like 1