Legacy -The 2023 Deer Season-

Legacy

Got some good news on the camera today my main target but showed back up!  He's been MIA since Nov 28th!  Can't wait to see what he looks like next year!  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pretty cool dead head  I found.  We only had a few pictures of him each season, but he didn't look that big in any of the pictures we had!  Scored him just over 150!  Shame to find for sure, but glad to pick him up before any rodents ate on him!  

Snapchat-2120084741.jpg

• Like 6

Well, never how you want to recover a deer. But grateful to at least put my hands on him and know I did put a lethal shot on him. Not a giant buck, but the biggest I have taken. I shot him with my bow the first week of December. He ran onto the neighbors land, who was nice enough to let me track him. Unfortunately, the snow from first thing in the morning had melted which made following the blood trail impossible to follow. We trailed the deer 350 yards, so I figured he was going to be just fine.

Fast forward to this week. The neighbors texted me saying he found the buck I shot. It ended up being 500 yards from the initial shot which appeared to be a single lung. The buck was dead in the middle of the creek submerged under the water. The neighbor was nice enough to let me come get the rack. Cool to have some closure on the deer at least.

IMG_2955.jpeg

IMG_3459.jpeg

WGI_0010.jpeg

IMG_4079.jpeg

IMG_5106.jpeg

IMG_5107.jpeg

Edited by fisherman21
  • Like 2

I'm late to the game here, but seeing as I just got my bow buck from '23 scored for P&Y, here he is. I first saw this buck in 2020 when I bumped him from a hedgerow and then when he stopped I took a shot and (luckily) cleanly missed. He showed up on my camera a week later as if to let me know to stop looking for him. I then got him 2 or 3x on camera in 2021 but never saw him while in the field. In 2022, we had pictures of him in velvet and I got to watch him chase does and run off smaller bucks from 400 yards away during bow season. Come 2023 I would get sporadic night time trail cam pictures of him right up until the day he made a mistake. He walked out of the standing corn about 45 yards away and then turned and headed towards my stand. From the time I first saw movement until the bloody arrow was in the dirt was only about 30 seconds and then the shock set in on finally wrapping up our history and tagging my biggest (by far) buck to date.

20231109_194158.jpg

• Like 2

For those who have followed this page thru the season. I made a post of a buck that I had an opportunity to shoot during gun and it didn't fire, I did get a quick shot off after reloading but he was moving and I had one opportunity as he turned broadside.  I had looked and didnt find any evidence of a hit at all. Followed a few different trails he could of taken with no signs of anything.  Well...  We went shed hunting yesterday and don't we find that buck not 50yds deeper into the thicket.. 😟😟 def a ****ty feeling, but without any sign of a hit at all and it running into a pretty heavy thicket.  I thought for sure I just led him too much or something.  It was the first deer I have shot with a 6.5 and definitely  have mixed emotions now .. I've heard stories of no blood but always was like no.. all gun deer I have shot have bled someway or another.   So anyway Deffinitely have to do some bullet testing to get proper expansion!   if I do decide to shoot more deer with that cartridge. 

Well he wasn't a bad deer at all scored him at 129.  Good beams good mass just shorter tines.

this is the first deer I have lost in a long time, wish I had something to tell me it was a hit 😞

IMG_20240321_221805.jpg

IMG_20240320_130341822.jpg

IMG_20240320_133357083.jpg

• Like 1