Legacy- 2016 Deer Season

Legacy

can i ask you how u trained your dog

Sent from my iPhone using Lake

Ontario United

Basically taught her as a pup to " find it" she started out with shed antlers then the first blood trail she was hooked and could care less about some stupid bone. I have a few friends that would have an easy track and we would go on that. One main indicator for her to know we were tracking was her collar. Dragging hides, leaving fake trails ect have their usefulness but either your dog will figure it out quickly or not. She loved small game especially squirrels, once a squirrel came across the track right in front of her she totally ignored it, she had her collar on she was after a deer. She also got a treat of a piece of the heart for reward. Truly we worked as a team finding the deer, recognizing what she was smelling, how she pulled and the small details of the woods like the exact size of the deer track, freshness of blood, crows, hawks, direction of wind, air checking vs. ground checking, confirming blood, arrow placement and finding it post hit.

I've got many stories of tracking, mainly we try to assess the situation and decide how long to wait or to track at all. One thing she did that amazed guys was she marked "peed" if coyotes were on the track in front of us.

thank you for your advice

No problem, pm me if you ever want to discuss tracking, oh a side note my sister has had three different Rotweilers that got their "TD" and TDX tracking dog and tracking dog expert, it was absolutely amazing how easily those dogs could find me, even with rubber boots, de scented and thru streams and whatever.. Only trying trouble was dry conditions or over pavement. The dogs are smelling the disturbed dirt or broken grass, amazing.. Guys deer know when you go into their area for days after. Scent control is great but its kinda like you can smell a smoker or someone with strong perfume was previously in an area reducing that effect is the best we can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I'm stoked now....the piebald I've watched and passed the previous 2 yrs is alive and looking good! No one has seen him since opening day if last yrs gun opening day.

Not the best pictures as he slipped out of the pines at 1:39 am and corner of frame but I can see the tell tale markings on his ass going down his hip

It's him!

oozzgw.jpg

8x7ghk.jpg

2gxiwj7.jpg

Last years pics

igw7f5.jpg

zl3wok.jpg

zu2rkp.jpg

Lots of movement tonight Wayne County. Saw a nice 8 cruising but too far for a shot and eight doe. I've had good luck in heavy winds, even hunting from stand. Sturgis will argue with me but screw him...lol. Just starting to see a few more rubs tonight.....good luck folks

Very cool, Giz. We have property in stuben county as well... Town of cameron. Good hunting. Not as good as 10-15 years ago..... But great whitetail area.

Lot better than Boonville bucks! Edited by Giz9219

Had a pretty good buck chase a doe from the field right at first light then this doe came through and my daughter made a great shot on her. It was her first kill with her new bow. She was pumped. I was in the stand with her and it is awesome to experience it with her. post-139646-14772331369194_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Lake Ontario United mobile app