2017 Upgrade to LOU - Notice

Hi LOU Members -

I wanted to let you know that for the last couple months we have been working hard behind the scenes to upgrade LOU to the latest version of our forum software.  Our hand was forced a bit on this as we were told that the old version would no longer be supported.  This means no updates, no bug fixes and no support requests if needed.  Yes, we could continue to operate under the old forum software but this would put us increasingly at risk as time goes by.

We already have the new software up and running over at Lake Erie United and it has been great thus far.  Click on link to check it out!

This is not a trivial upgrade and will take several hours to complete.  I will perform the upgrade in the mid-night hours in hopes not disrupt the majority of the members experience. 

My intent is to keep the site look and feel as close to the current site as possible. 

Thanks again for all the support!

Chad

Thanks for the "heads up" Chad. You do a great job with this site and we all appreciate your efforts. Have a great holiday season by the way :):yes:

Good luck Chad, working in the IT Field I know how even the simplest "upgrades" can be a challenge and go sideways no matter how much you prep.   I hope this one of the smooth ones.  Thanks for your hard work. 

This is a great time for everyone reading this to think about an upgrade to Professional membership.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Time for change for sure , I've expressed my feeling and have waited to see a even support for all of the site. I feel it would be a good move for all who sell on this site to be  Professional membership to do so, BUT that's just me. I was pro for a # of years and stopped for support of the lift project on Cayuga  Lake and did not go back to pro after.

Good luck with this Chad as always you do a great job over all on this site we are lucky to have you at the wheel.

Thanks 

Good luck Chad, working in the IT Field I know how even the simplest "upgrades" can be a challenge and go sideways no matter how much you prep.   I hope this one of the smooth ones.  Thanks for your hard work. 

Thanks for all the support guys!  Pvelyk, it's like you said this upgrade is significant.  I perform many basic upgrades all throughout the year but this upgrade will change 1000's of files and 10,000's of lines of code with the goal to make it look like nothing changed at all - very tough to do.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great time for everyone reading this to think about an upgrade to Professional membership.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I couldn't agree more Trophy why should the lurkers sorry guys I know a lot of guys on here a long time have access to the same privileges that the pro members have except for a Lou form, thats rendered just about useless!! $20.00 comes much harder for me than most others, just look at their equipment compared to mine. It would be nice to see a lot more red tags in the corners of their posts, plus help the sight be the best it can be!! Just my opinion. Everyone has their own.!! Edited by pap

Thank You....

I can't even begin to imagine all of the work that goes into the behind the scenes effort to make this site one of the BEST for all of the people like me who are always looking for information that the more experienced members of this site are so willing to pass along for the benefit of others.

Like it has been said before, with this, the beginning of the new year and the upgrading of this site, it's a great time for everyone to upgrade to the professional level of membership.

Again THANK YOU and Happy New Year.....

Boat Safe

Egoody

Hi guys -

Quick update, we started the core software upgrade last night at around 9:00 PM and finished this morning around 5:30 AM... I lost count of the number of cups of coffee :coffee: I needed to get me through that one haha :P  

Good news is that the upgrade went perfectly.  This is a big step in the right direction for 2017.  I am now going to start looking at some server refinements to help speed up the site load time but I think I am going to try and get a little bit of sleep here first if my kids let me (probably not though).  Anyways, enjoy the site and thank you in advance for your patience on this one! 

- Chad

Upgrade

Hey Chad,

The upgrade looks good.Nice job.

A couple questions / comments:

- Mobile version now shows HTML Line Return code (<br />) in every post.

- I cannot reply to any post in this forum. That is why I started a new one.

- I see you can mark each forum read individually, but I haven't found a "mark all forums read" option. I use this feature a lot.

Thanks for all of your hard work!

Hi Jim!  Thanks for the kind words.  Let me try and answer your questions:

- Mobile version now shows HTML Line Return code (<br />) in every post.

That is strange.... I have not seen this or been able to reproduce the issue.  I'll need some time to look more into it. 

- I cannot reply to any post in this forum. That is why I started a new one.

I should have fixed the permissions for this forum so you can reply - I was testing it after upgrade and never reverted it back, sorry about that!

- I see you can mark each forum read individually, but I haven't found a "mark all forums read" option. I use this feature a lot.

I'll look more into getting this for us.  I know it can be done, I just need more sleep - haha.

Thanks Jim -

Chad

Hi Jim - I was able to get this working for you.  You should now see a "Mark site read" link at both the header and footer (right side) of the site on all pages. 

Thanks -
Chad

Upgrade of LOU site Step 2 of 2.

Hi guys/gals –

We had a successful upgrade of the LOU site this past weekend to the new forum software.  This now allows us to do a lot of different things with respect to the overall speed of the site that we couldn’t do before.  Sometimes you need to crack the egg before you can make the omelet :yes:

Over the next day or two here, I will be making some server adjustments that should help the overall site performance… during this time the site may be down temporarily.  These server updates won't take nearly as long as the core software upgrade did (several minutes vs. several hours).  I'm expecting these server adjustments to yield roughly a 55-70% increase in overall site speed (depending on which browser you use).  In my own experience, I have found Google's Chrome browser to be the fastest hands down.  Download here if you're interested:  GOOGLE CHROME.  Just wanted to give you a headsup on this. 

Thanks again for your patience and support!

Chad 

Hi Scott -

I got some work to do still on the mobile version.  I would recommend downloading the LOU App for the time being - it's a much more consistent interface.  The issue is that we went from a "mobile" site to a "responsive" site - and while this probably means nothing to you, it means I need some more time to get it refined.  Please let me know of any issues you experience with it and I will continue to debug it as we go here.  Thanks for the headsup on it.

LOU Mobile App - GOOGLE PLAY (Android)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tapatalk.lakeontariounitedcomfishinghunting&hl=en

LOU Mobile App - APPLE (iPhone)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lake-ontario-united/id644330966?mt=8

Thanks again -

Chad