Canandaigua Canandaigua Lake Trout Derby 2019

Congratulations to Bob and Bob my long time fishing buddies:lol: They pulled off an 11th hour victory under less than optimal conditions while the rest of us were getting off the lake because of the wind and trouble controlling our setups etc. Once again the lesson: perseverance pays off:smile:

bandb.jpg

thechamps.jpg

Congrats Bob way to hang in there. After catching only one lake trout by 11:00 am Sunday we decided to head in and beat the pleasure boaters. We got inside the inlet and there was other fishing vessels stacked up along the wall and the parking lot wagon train with pleasure boats.the north end ramp is busier then Mexico point in the fall LOC Derby...

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Last night while having a victory drink Bob said " If Canandaigua was the only lake I could fish on I wouldn't even own a boat" :lol::lol: The launch ramps at both ends of the lake were a total fiasco yesterday.

Congrats to Bob on the win!  I fished out there Saturday only, landed 11 lakers (every single one was around 3 lbs only), 2 rainbows (4.5 lbs. biggest), 2 yellow perch.  Couldn't find a big one, but worked hard, and enjoyed fishing Canandaigua.  But yeah, the amount of pleasure boaters was astounding!  And they don't seem to care much about blasting right next to a fishing boat.

Edited by cinnamon fish

Congrats to the winners.We fished Saturday only.To my surprise Canaidaigua Lake was not in my GPS . Just a beautiful lake to fish could not decide which cottage I wanted. Caught three or four fish nothing big. Launch was open when we launched. .Thunder boat was just launching when we left around 3:30ish.I will look forward to this derby next year.All the fishermen on the lake were very courteous.

Thanks for posting the pics Les. Liney was psyched about fishing this one for the week leading up to it. We went out Saturday morning and started deep as that's where he believes the big ones are. After my first selection of lures went untouched we started experimenting and started to connect with 4 -6# fish, got a nice 4 - 5 # rainbow on the 10 color leadcore that came up and jumped 3 to 4 times 4 different times. We had a slow & steady bite all day. The launch was a fiasco Saturday afternoon. We where whipped but decided to start at the same time Sunday. Sunday was slower than Saturday for us with 2 - 3# fish being the norm. The wind was better than the flat water before it picked up but was a challenge to try and maintain a decent presentation. Liney ran the autopilot and kept us where he wanted. On a couple of our turns we got blown into very tight turns. When I saw a decent mark down deep I let Lineys rig out a little but it stopped, when I looked over my rig rod was bent - dam they must have come together on one of those turns - lots of cussing by me - and we started bring our rigs up together. My top leader's hook had caught his rig line so I got that unhooked but we still where connected, my next leader had wrapped around his mainline and when I was trying to unwrap it Liney wasn't reeling his up to allow me to reach it, when I looked at his rod tip it was REALLY bent over and the rig line was just behind the boat. After I got my leader off his line the fish stayed right with us straight down. After a good long while we got to the last leader and Liney lifting as high as he could I was able to net it at the surface - it went into the net pointed straight down. That fish made very few head shakes and just kept full power trying to go for the bottom - amazing fight.

And we won't talk about trying to get off at the launch on Sunday - I think every 3x a year boater was out there.

I do want to let you know Les that Liney had brought a banana to eat on Saturday and it was still there Sunday afternoon!!!!!

Everyone keeps bringing up the crowds on Canandaigua. Being it's my home lake i've gotten used to the crowds at the launch. Get there early and get out of there before noon to avoid the launch as it turns into a zoo.  Waiting in a line in the launch canal that stretches out to the lake really burns me.  Maybe it's time I hit up Seneca or Keuka.  Love fishing Canandaigua when the crowds arent a factor. My son and I only fished Sunday catching one fish that tied for second in the Laker division for a little bit.  He was pretty excited.  Maybe we'll get out both days next year if theres no lacrosse tournament the same weekend.  Glad some guys had a good derby, congrats to the winners!

We fished 7-1230 on Saturday out of Woodville.  I used to own a cottage up by the Christian Camp.  We ran the chute back and forth from the camp to Steamboat Landing. at least 6-7 times.  Boated 26 and lost 10-12 more.  Was fishing copper with Pfleuger 4's silver or blue white in 35-45'.   Trolled with the Minnkota at 1.5MPH.  It is a run I have made 100's of times and this seems to be one of my best.  Only problem - no size.  Biggest fish was 4lbs.  I pulled in at least 5 that were less than <1lbers and killed a few because the hook f-'d them up too much.  Oh well - constant action.  They have been eaten.  We brought a first timer and he is hooked.  I agree.  Launches were bad.  Wonder if it is worse because so many launches on the big lake are closed????  Good luck.  

Edited by Chicong

Had 4 bobbers out Saturday at the south end gave it till 1030 then called it.. Sunday we fished the north end got a perch 2 lakers and a small rainbow off bobbers.. always a fun lake to fish!

I had Mike "iron duke" on board for the derby with his good buddy Nick for Saturday. I pre fished 2 times the week before and man oh man was the fishing spectator...Wednesday boated over 40 fish but all small, and Friday dialed it in with over 40 fish again and a big brown, 7+ rainbow, an 8+ laker and and another decent brown. Saturday we put a hurting on the 3-4 pound Lakers with the biggest fish being a 6.45 rainbow that mike cooked up on th bbq and was delicious! We just couldnt get the size Saturday but would guess we were well over the 40 fish mark. Sunday it just me and mike and it was definitely slower, maybe 15 fish. All in all it was a great week to be on canandaigua, but man was the launch on Sunday a fiasco!! At least a 45 minute wait to get off the lake!20190607_071348.jpeg20190607_070805.jpeg20190607_071220.jpeg20190608_174441.jpeg20190605_084616.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Brian,

They gave us a fancy bag full of your rigs, lots of colors, looks like they should catch us a bunch of lakers. thank s for being so generous.

Bob