Legacy -The 2019 Season-

Legacy

I see Phil a few times a month and he says he’s still willing to work on bows if your willing to make the drive to Nunda. He’s done a few strings for me last couple years. He’s Got a nice low key setup in his garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeffi said:

I want to wish everyone luck this weekend, but I had to put a up rant regarding the services that I received at Creekwood Archery.  I took my Hoyt up there back in early August for a tune up and new string.  Total cost at $163.  Fair price after talking with close friends.  Have shot the bow probably 4-5 times per week since then in preparation for this season.  As I stated in an earlier post, I shot a deer on Sunday pm and didn't recover.  So naturally, i got the bow out and started shooting Monday after work.  6 arrows, dead on a 25 yards.  Shoot Tuesday with the same results.  Grab the bow Wednesday after work and after shooting 2 arrows i got to set my release and the serving on the cable has let go.  I call the pro shop and he tells me to bring in.  So i take it Thursday after work and he said he can have it done by Friday pm.  He SAYS he will reduce the price of setup and only charge me $25 for that!  Okay...... Two months on a new string and you indicate that your going to charge me to make a repair on a new material YOU provided and YOU installed.  So I stop by today after work to pick it up and shoot it, which needed a little adjustment as he had to reset the loop after retying a new serving.  So I go to pay and he tells me that its going to be $53!!!!! to correct a defective product that he provided and installed.  When he indicated the total to me I asked "have you had problems with this happening before on these strings?" His response "We didn't MAKE the string." Oh, i neglected to mention that when i went to pick the bow up in August, my peep site was actually installed UPSIDE down...... Sorry everyone, i just had to vent and voice my extreme displeasure with this shop.  I will be taking my business elsewhere!!!  

I have a tough time with somebody who won't stand behind their work. "We didn't make the string" is a BS excuse for not taking ownership of your mistake. And to charge not just extra, but twice what you'd estimated to fix a problem you caused in the first place is insult on top of injury. I get that a small shop needs to make money. But the best way to do that is word of mouth to bring in the clients. A serving is added to the string to prevent wear and tear at high impact areas like cams and the nock point. Wrapping a serving and knowing how to keep it from shifting while simultaneously not forcing the string open under pressure is talent. If the shop owner wrapped a poor serving, he should have redone it without question. The only expense to him is a piece of thread and some time. If the serving that failed came preinstalled on the string, it's still his responsibility to supply a quality product, and if it needs to be replaced, it's his responsibility to take care of it.  I hate to judge somebody based on a single incident, but unless there was a problem with the bow that caused the serving to fail...which he would have remarked on....this was simply unacceptable. 

Edited by Gator

October 12 am
51 degrees
SE wind becoming west 5-10
Cloudy
Occasional light rain

Does and fawns were on their feet early this morning. Saw 8 before legal sunrise. Two different flocks of turkeys also. Quiet after that. Left once the wind switched.

IMG_20191012_071903739.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

October 12 am
51 degrees
SE wind becoming west 5-10
Cloudy
Occasional light rain

Does and fawns were on their feet early this morning. Saw 8 before legal sunrise. Two different flocks of turkeys also. Quiet after that. Left once the wind switched.

IMG_20191012_071903739.thumb.jpeg.5ca3e1ab248c6024bb4b7cd8fdea2406.jpeg

Same here in 8r 6:59 ... then over rain moved in back to camp at 9:30 back out after rain hunt the mid day moon

He's still hanging

I hunted this morning and the woods are still so thick with foliage and the golden rod is so high you can't even see deer moving through it

I saw 3 doe this morning...gonna pull back still not time yet...

628355072_Turk10-10-19623pm.thumb.JPG.8ad02e596bfce1ee8fff74311e9b7233.JPG

He just wants a arrow... good luck Dano

• Like 1

Pulled a card today and found a couple of things interesting. I had pictures of a 8 buck bachelor group moving through two nights ago (three of which are shooters). I figured this was the case and another week or so they will finally be split up. I also had three instances of small bucks chasing does in the past couple weeks.

• Like 2

So I've hunted this property for over 15 years. In that time I have moved stands around to over 10 different spots. I have never shot a deer on this property. I have had some encounters but I have actually only shot at one buck ever on this property ( muzzleloader misfire). I know the property very well and have walked every inch of it. But I can honestly say after much off season homework... this new set is the best that this property has to offer. That's something that I think we all need to think about. What is the best the property has to offer? I'm thinking this is it! It only took me 15 years to hang a stand here! LOL!!!

All of my pieces are small agriculture chunks surrounded by more agriculture. Pretty typical of Western NY farms. The farms around here grow corn, soy beans, cabbage, squash, winter wheat, alfalfa. I lack the "big woods" feel in almost every set I hunt. My sets all tend to be pinch points and major travel corridors. It's seems like they all have a Creek involved also. And there is never a field too far away. I think that most of the time scouting these properties can be done easily with Google maps or hunt stand app all from the comforts of home.

I guess maybe that is half the fun in chasing whitetails, right? Scouting and finding those "perfect" spots! I guess that's what got me hooked on bowhunting was t in the end you needed so many things to come together. Absolutely everything matters.

May all the pieces come together!

• Like 3

Well we made a ground blind where that buck has been and he walked 23yds from my dad tonight. Arrow is covered in dark blood. So we followed to wood edge and backed out! Fingers crossed he didnt make it far should be my dads biggest buck!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm looking forward to a good story and some pictures later today!

This weekend's hunts were...interesting. Lots of deer, a few small bucks dogging doe, and a couple of mishaps. One of my friend's sons shot a doe on Saturday evening that we let sit overnight, and while we recovered it, it was eaten by the coyotes. Also, we found out that a doe can go over 800 yards on one lung, spitting blood the whole time. And I found out that if I use my 20 yard pin rather than my 35 yard pin to shoot at a giant 8-pt that's standing 7 yards behind my 30 yard marker tree, I will shoot right under him. 

Normally, I wouldn't take a 37 yard shot, but I've let a couple of beasts walk because the season is so young, and I've been practicing up to 50 yds, and he stepped broadside into an old logging road with a clear shooting lane. I didn't factor in the pounding heart, adrenaline, and its impact on judgement. At least it was a clean miss. He startled at the shot, but wasn't spooked; in fact, the does that were with him stopped to feed at 70 yards for the next ten minutes while he casually walked into the swamp. I found my arrow right where I knew it would be, no hair or blood. I just shake my head at the though of having hit him poorly. Poor decision making on my part. From here on out, I'm sticking to my rule of nothing over 30 yards. I may even remove the longer pins from my sight. Stupid, stupid.

I may have a picture of him walking by on one of my trail cameras just prior to the shot that was pointed in that direction. I was flustered enough when I left that I didn't check. If I do, I will post him here.

Edited by Gator

8 hours ago, machzrcr said:

Well we made a ground blind where that buck has been and he walked 23yds from my dad tonight. Arrow is covered in dark blood. So we followed to wood edge and backed out! Fingers crossed he didnt make it far should my dads biggest buck!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Joe good luck to you and Carl!!!