Legacy -The 2019 Season-

Legacy

I'm looking forward to a good story and some pictures later today!

This weekend's hunts were...interesting. Lots of deer, a few small bucks dogging doe, and a couple of mishaps. One of my friend's sons shot a doe on Saturday evening that we let sit overnight, and while we recovered it, it was eaten by the coyotes. Also, we found out that a doe can go over 800 yards on one lung, spitting blood the whole time. And I found out that if I use my 20 yard pin rather than my 35 yard pin to shoot at a giant 8-pt that's standing 7 yards behind my 30 yard marker tree, I will shoot right under him. 

Normally, I wouldn't take a 37 yard shot, but I've let a couple of beasts walk because the season is so young, and I've been practicing up to 50 yds, and he stepped broadside into an old logging road with a clear shooting lane. I didn't factor in the pounding heart, adrenaline, and its impact on judgement. At least it was a clean miss. He startled at the shot, but wasn't spooked; in fact, the does that were with him stopped to feed at 70 yards for the next ten minutes while he casually walked into the swamp. I found my arrow right where I knew it would be, no hair or blood. I just shake my head at the though of having hit him poorly. Poor decision making on my part. From here on out, I'm sticking to my rule of nothing over 30 yards. I may even remove the longer pins from my sight. Stupid, stupid.

I may have a picture of him walking by on one of my trail cameras just prior to the shot that was pointed in that direction. I was flustered enough when I left that I didn't check. If I do, I will post him here.

Your too old for buck fever

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Great Buck!

Broke down over the weekend getting ready for my 5 day trip to Cranberry Lake the first weekend of November.  Can't wait to log that 25-30 miles in no-mans land.  It's a great experience getting way back off the beaten path.  GPS map 64st is my best friend on this trip. Picked up another Remington 760, this one in 30-06 caliber.  Finished it off with a Nikon 3x9 and will site it in this weekend.  The last two years have produced a nice male black bear and 200 Plus pound 8 point for the crew.  Both were shot at the furthest point from camp!  I'll post some pics of scenery and hopefully a bruiser!!

tent.JPG

760.jpeg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jeffi said:

Great Buck!

Broke down over the weekend getting ready for my 5 day trip to Cranberry Lake the first weekend of November.  Can't wait to log that 25-30 miles in no-mans land.  It's a great experience getting way back off the beaten path.  GPS map 64st is my best friend on this trip. Picked up another Remington 760, this one in 30-06 caliber.  Finished it off with a Nikon 3x9 and will site it in this weekend.  The last two years have produced a nice male black bear and 200 Plus pound 8 point for the crew.  Both were shot at the furthest point from camp!  I'll post some pics of scenery and hopefully a bruiser!!

tent.JPG

760.jpeg

That has been a destination hunt I have always wanted to try. Do you hire a farmer to take you back w/horses?

My buddies dad has a cabin on the south side of the lake.  Can only get to it by boat.  We take boats out in the am to get to the "flow" and hike back in from there.  It's a sunrise to sunset day!  Even longer if an animal is harvested :)