Legacy -The 2019 Season-

Legacy

Shooter on his feet...

Took a different approach and accessed a new stand that I hung from the opposite road. Once I got here I noticde that it had settled a bit so I adjusted the strap. I look to my right a good buck is crossing the plot 50 yards or so away. (He must have walked within 5 yards of my other stand). Never noticed me or heard me for that matter. Not sure how.

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

Finally got the right wind to be able to sit the ground blind looking over clover / chicory / turnip plot. Big deal for me because I'm finally able to get the guy who has helped me shed hunt, pick rocks in food plots, mow, trim trails, brush in blinds, check cameras, you name it hes all in. Super special because it's our first real hunt together and hes my 4 year old son! Hes deserves to be here just as much as I do and hes pumped!!
20191014_172300.jpeg

• Like 7

Finally got the right wind to be able to sit the ground blind looking over clover / chicory / turnip plot. Big deal for me because I'm finally able to get the guy who has helped me shed hunt, pick rocks in food plots, mow, trim trails, brush in blinds, check cameras, you name it hes all in. Super special because it's our first real hunt together and hes my 4 year old son! Hes deserves to be here just as much as I do and hes pumped!!
20191014_172300.thumb.jpeg.2c4c88690abfe698758d1fb4bbab814c.jpeg

Good luck guys hope you get one for Link man

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 1

If I knew he was going I would have bought him a bag of Doritos to eat!!!

• Like 1

That's great! Brought my 7yr old son last Saturday. Had a six point walk 10 yrds in front of us. He was pumped. The buck lifted its leg and licked itself and my boy lost it.
Fun times!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

October 14 pm
53 degrees
WSW wind 5-10
Partly cloudy

Hunted a fresh stand tonight that I hung for early season. After sitting in it I think it may get be a great rut stand as long as the corn stays uncut.
As for deer, I spooked a deer walking in. Had a shooter walk across the plot about 430ish. And last but not least had a small buck hanging around just before dark.
The shooter was obviously the highlight tonight but a close second was watching a cat sneaking around trying to catch Chipmunks. It was all fun and games until a coyote showed up and chased the cat up a tree. Pretty wild.

IMG_20191014_172040009.jpeg

So I have been plagued with issues. Nothing wrong with the actual camera but placement. Half of my cameras have literally been useless since I put them up in September.

#1- I had a tree break in half and fall into the tree that played host to a camera. It didn't damage the camera but blocked it from taking pictures. It has been out a month and has produced zero pictures. I found out last week when I went to pull the card.
#2- I place another camera on a dead tree. Probably 12-14" in diameter. Well it snapped at the ground and started to lean over until the vines caught it. It left my camera pointing upwards and took pictures for exactly 3 days. After that it just had pictures of squirrels crawling on it. Moved the camera on Saturday.
#3- I hung a camera along a field edge and the wind blew a vine in front of the it. 4900 pictures later I have a dead camera and zero pictures in over a month period.
#4- almost the same scenario... Hung a camera in a travel corridor and found out tonight that a vine made its way in front of the camera. Camera has been dead for three weeks.

WTF

First sit of the season for me this evening, and first sit in a few years for me during bow. Got settled in around 430. About 530 I had a doe work her way in feeding to 52 yards, but ended up working the opposite direction. About 15 minutes later I looked out into the field behind me and I could see a few deer out there, and one looked really big. Grabbed my rangefinder to get a better look, and it ended up being 3 doe and a big shooter buck. They were out 400 yards, and you could see his rack way out there. Of course they didn’t come my way, but it was the first time I have seen a wall hanger when I have been in the stand. Anyway right around 6 things come together. I look to me left and a nice doe is walking right into my set. I stopped her at what I thought was 10 yards, and left it fly. She ended up being 15 yards, and I shot right under her 🤦🏻‍♂️. I felt like the shot was good, but it was a clean miss. She just kept feeding out in front of me. It was a real bummer, and the first reel miss I have had since I’ve started hunting. It was nice to be in the stand though

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

11 hours ago, Legacy said:

So I have been plagued with issues. Nothing wrong with the actual camera but placement. Half of my cameras have literally been useless since I put them up in September.

#1- I had a tree break in half and fall into the tree that played host to a camera. It didn't damage the camera but blocked it from taking pictures. It has been out a month and has produced zero pictures. I found out last week when I went to pull the card.
#2- I place another camera on a dead tree. Probably 12-14" in diameter. Well it snapped at the ground and started to lean over until the vines caught it. It left my camera pointing upwards and took pictures for exactly 3 days. After that it just had pictures of squirrels crawling on it. Moved the camera on Saturday.
#3- I hung a camera along a field edge and the wind blew a vine in front of the it. 4900 pictures later I have a dead camera and zero pictures in over a month period.
#4- almost the same scenario... Hung a camera in a travel corridor and found out tonight that a vine made its way in front of the camera. Camera has been dead for three weeks.

WTF

Now that the Ash have started dying, this sort of thing is going to become more common. Sometimes there's so many vines climbing the dead ash that the trees look alive over the summer! I'm looking forward over the next couple of years having to constantly clear dead trees from my trails prior to mowing. That's what being too cheap to spend 15 cents to irradiate Chinese made pallets will get you. Don't listen to the scientists. But I'm not bitter...we've shipped our share of invasives and pathogens all over the world, too. May the best cockroach win!!

3 hours ago, dvdegeorge said:

BTW I'm brutally honest if it's a piece of crap and a gimmick I'll let you know

They're bigger and heavier than expected but I've never spoken to someone that actually used a set. Let us know...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dvdegeorge said:

BTW I'm brutally honest if it's a piece of crap and a gimmick I'll let you know

Its a valuable tool. With my brother being wheelchair bound this blind has been quite an asset. I would say dont skip staking it down if any wind is present as it catches wind but he has had deer 5 to 7 yds away feeding. We had to laugh as the first deer he took with it using a firearm he shot thru it! The scope peered over the top but not the barrel. Took the deer cleanly as its corrugated board. I saw enough to buy one for myself but have only actually used it once. It must me good as a trespasser walked to within 3 yds of me during late muzz last year before I startled him. "My bad" was the best he could come up with after walking through the middle of the greenfield I was sitting on.

I think it is as good as whats in front of it. Corn-great, snow- great, a couple of well placed branches in front of it make a lot of difference. Of course it's only for one side of you so planning for that is the most critical. It's worth the money IMO.     

1 minute ago, Capt Vince Pierleoni said:

Its a valuable tool. With my brother being wheelchair bound this blind has been quite an asset. I would say dont skip staking it down if any wind is present as it catches wind but he has had deer 5 to 7 yds away feeding. We had to laugh as the first deer he took with it using a firearm he shot thru it! The scope peered over the top but not the barrel. Took the deer cleanly as its corrugated board. I saw enough to buy one for myself but have only actually used it once. It must me good as a trespasser walked to within 3 yds of me during late muzz last year before I startled him. "My bad" was the best he could come up with after walking through the middle of the greenfield I was sitting on.

I think it is as good as whats in front of it. Corn-great, snow- great, a couple of well placed branches in front of it make a lot of difference. Of course it's only for one side of you so planning for that is the most critical. It's worth the money IMO.     

I also modified with a utility knife the height so he can shoot his compound over it. Depending on what you use for a chair/stool you may not need to do this.

• Like 1