Legacy -The 2019 Season-

Legacy

By the looks of this post I don't think any of you will need this but just in case:

Deer Search western NY 716.648.4355

Deer Search finger lakes NY 585.935.5220

mark the trail at about eye level, keep your search to a minimum of searches and good luck to all!

My Reddog is getting old, but she just won't quite, best mutt ever.

Scott

• Like 4

Little food for thought. Be careful out there working on stands!!!!

Carlton hunter who fell from tree stand thankful for help from first responders

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 18 October 2019 at 1:02 pm
101819_TJurs.jpg

Provided photo: Tyler Jurs is pictured with a deer last year. Jurs was badly injured Monday when he fell from a tree stand.

CARLTON – A hunter who fell from a tree stand Monday is thankful for the volunteer firefighters, COVA medics and Mercy Flight helicopter that came to his rescue.

Tyler Jurs, 27, was building a tree stand off Lake Ontario State Parkway in Carlton on land owned by Lynn-Ette and Sons, a farm where his brother works and father recently retired from.

Tyler was putting steel steps in an ash tree. He was about 8 feet up, standing partly on a branch when it snapped. Tyler plunged downward and one of the steel steps tore into his thigh. He had a huge gash from above his knee to his hip.

He called 911, and used his own belt as a tourniquet. He learned about the importance of trying to stop the bleed as a member of the Carlton Volunteer Fire Company the past two years.

He was about 400 feet from the road. He credits the makeshift tourniquet for keeping him alert.

Matt Hughson, a Carlton firefighter, was the first on scene. He saw Jurs’ truck by the road and headed into the woods. He was a welcome sight for Jurs.

Another Carlton firefighter, Seth Dumrese, appeared and put an actual tourniquet on Jurs.

“It was nice to see familiar faces,” Jurs said today. “They were my friends. It was comforting to see them.”

He still needed to wait in the woods for an all-terrain vehicle with a backboard. The Lyndonville Fire Department was contacted and they brought the ATV. They transported Jurs to the road, and he was then taken by Mercy Flight.

He was discharged from Strong Memorial Hospital on Thursday. He is taking some steps on his feet, while being on the mend. He looks forward to getting back to work with the DOT, where he is a maintenance worker and drives a plow truck during the winter.

Jurs is used to responding to others in need. He now has a deeper appreciation for firefighters, medics and Mercy Flight.

“You guys are all amazing,” Jurs posted on his Facebook page on Tuesday. “You guys have no idea how much it means to have you all there and reassuring me that I would be OK. Without you guys could have been a totally different story.”

I downloaded an app called life360. It's a locator app that uses gps. It all started when my kid got a driver license and a car. Good way to see where they are and their driving habits but also a good way for your loved ones to find you in an emergency. My wife thought it would be a good idea in case something ever happens in the woods and for once I agree with that one. I hunt a handful of properties and truth is you would probably need a search party to find me on most of them.

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well, not exactly the view I was hoping for this morning! My almost 2 year old had surgery at Strong on Monday, and early this morning he woke up with bleeding and some complications. Took him to the ER in Elmira and they are transferring him back to Strong. As much as I was looking forward to being in the woods today, family is always my #1 priority!20191019_095955.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Sad 1

Well, not exactly the view I was hoping for this morning! My almost 2 year old had surgery at Strong on Monday, and early this morning he woke up with bleeding and some complications. Took him to the ER in Elmira and they are transferring him back to Strong. As much as I was looking forward to being in the woods today, family is always my #1 priority!20191019_095955.thumb.jpeg.8ce0e67dfffeb172e4240f785d7e6837.jpeg

Prayers sent Gup. Good luck, hope all goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 1

Well, not exactly the view I was hoping for this morning! My almost 2 year old had surgery at Strong on Monday, and early this morning he woke up with bleeding and some complications. Took him to the ER in Elmira and they are transferring him back to Strong. As much as I was looking forward to being in the woods today, family is always my #1 priority!20191019_095955.thumb.jpeg.8ce0e67dfffeb172e4240f785d7e6837.jpeg

Good luck!!! Hope all is well.

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Had a nice buck all over a scrap that was 60 yards behind my stand. Only deer I saw. Shot a coyote for the 3rd straight season with the bow. At least this satisfies my kids who have been all over me for never shooting anything. IMG_2148.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 5

Good luck!! Hope for the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 1

Hunted this morning in a stand with a ton of acorns and had deer in and around all morning.  A little after 8 I was watching a group of does in some thick stuff and spotted a good 3-1/2 eight point in the same area just standing there.  I saw an opening that he was facing and put a range on it, 37 yards.  I thought if he comes behind it I would have a 40 yard shot.  He did exactly that, perfect shot behind the shoulder but just under his body, clean miss.  He had no idea what happened and walked away.  When I went to get my arrow, I ranged to my stand, 47 yards.  I had no idea how much the slope was and he ended up being farther than I thought.  So I should sleep fine tonight replaying that ....

• Like 1