Boater Safety Course Now Required by Law

I don't know if this is new to everyone or not but I just heard about it on the radio and thought I would pass it along. I took whatever course was required to drive a jet ski years ago... I wonder if this is different or if what I have qualifies me? Either way they gave us plenty of time to take the class thankfully...

https://961theeagle.com/new-requirements-for-cny-boaters/

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

I have same question

I heard that you had to take the course for a jet ski even if you had your captains license.  Not sure how true it is but if it is,  that's a little ridiculous!

56 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

I heard that you had to take the course for a jet ski even if you had your captains license.  Not sure how true it is but if it is,  that's a little ridiculous!

I checked my card for the jet ski course I took, it doesn't say anything about being specifically for jet skis. It is just called "NYS Boater's Safety Course", so I'm gonna assume that it is the same course. 

17 minutes ago, Reeldrag said:

So I've owned a boat for 20+years, do I have to take this course? I thought we were grandfathered in before it became a law.

The original law that was in place before this one allowed you to be grandfathered in if you were born after a certain year. They basically re-vamped the law to include everyone now. By 2025 everyone who drives a boat will have had to take a boaters safety course. 

So I've owned a boat for 20+years, do I have to take this course? I thought we were grandfathered in before it became a law.

yes that the change to the law. eventually everyone. If your Bron before January 1978 you have to January 2025 to get the safety course. Online course is $ 29.50 from what I seen on the internet .

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I took it when I was 14 so I could boat by myself . But I have no idea where my card is now and I did the online search by my name and birthday and it says no record found. So I am thinking I have to take it again..since that was in 1984. I even remember where I took it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

4 minutes ago, Hopkinz said:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/06/04/boating-safety-coursework-requirement-gets-final-legislative-approval/

"Lawmakers decided against imposing fines against boaters who do not take the safety courses, leaving compliance by consumers to be entirely voluntary."

Hop

Haha wow... only in NY! "Hey here is this new law that you're required to follow! And if you don't... there's no penalty whatsoever! P.S. Thanks for your tax dollars we spent coming up with this brilliant new law"

• Haha 1

Wow, here we go again. I just took the course, online, through Boatus. It was free, so not a money grab. You do it at your own pace, there is an exam after each section, you don't move onto the next section until you pass that section. I am in my sixties, been boating for many years, but still learned a few things.
People need this course. This past weekend I am out with the wife on Erie, trolling with 4 rods out on a north course in a 20 ft cuddy (very visible). An 18 footer open boat with 3 guys are trolling on a course directly at my port side. Far enough away my wife asks "do these guys see us?" I say yeah, and they are the give boat so they'll move. Wife is at the helm, I'm on the deck adjusting reels. I keep watching, and then it is apparent they do not know we're there. I shout at them and run for the kicker and crank the throttle. They now come alive and start moving like hell grabbing lines and turning their boat....once they adjust they shout "sorry". They get their boat on course and all sit down facing the stern letting their autopilot take them wherever, nobody paying mind to where they are going. I bet they never took the course.
If you've never taken it I can guarantee you all need it. Stop whining and just get it done for everyones sake out there.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 5