oddest catch

Back in the day when "Michigan Crickets" (snag hooks) were the key to catching salmon, I snagged a beaver. That was from a Lake Erie Trib around 1980 or so.

Now you know why snagging is illegal. Think of the non targeted fish that were killed and wounded. Not to speak of the beaver. :devil:

I've got a few for ya:

#1: While casting scum frogs in Port Bay I caught a 1lb bullfrog!! :shock: Too bad I don't like froglegs! 8)

#2: Caught the largest sunfish I have ever seen a couple summers back - wouldn't fit in my hand. I know that doesn't sound odd, but it came on an NK spoon down 70' over 80 fow on the riggers!!! :shock:

#3: While spring trolling for browns with stickbaits, I've had several times when a seagull nailed one and got hooked! :?

About 12-15 years ago I was out of Henderson trolling off the dunes for Salmon in 140 fow when the port side dipsey got hammer and started peeling line. I had my cousin's girlfriend on the boat and handed her the rod after I got it out of the holder. After about 10 minutes she is getting the fish up towards the boat, I see the dipsey and then I see the fish. I said to myself that is one funny looking king. lol Then the fish comes to the surface and it is a 6' American eel. One of the biggest I had seen, not sure what the heck it thought the dodger squid was but he wanted it. I was going to cut the hook off but the hook pulled out just as I was about to cut the line.

Up in the Trench every year we get at least one bass down 100-120 feet on the meat, so this is not so surprising I guess.

Rich

beaver in catherine creek, 24" native brown out of post creek almost 6lbs (hanging on the wall) nasty old eel in the hudson river jeesh that was spooky,fishing rod outa seneca lake,grabbed a wounded goose by the neck while in a canoe on seneca lake i won :D barely :$ them puppies can raise a racket on there last leg.back in my jet ski days 1986 was riding standup stlye onkeuka lake when i saw a huge brown near the surface stoped and tossed it on the ski between my knees the thing came back alive as i made a pass by my friends i bit its lower lip and drove by with this 10lb fish dangling from my 8) teeth maybe thats where i got my taste for fishing :shock:

about 6-7 years ago during the spring loc derby, we all loaded in my buddies boat in sandy and headed out for a evening of fishing. the lake was rolling 4' or better

and had our first release before we got out of the mouth. "the fish" would take line

then the line would go slack and after 15-20 min i landed a beautiful.......................

plastic wegmans bag. the stick hooked both handles

damn thing fought like h*ll

Two years ago jigging the Niagara in the Spring, first year for the new "Nothin' but Net", K2 hooked up with what we thought was the granddaddy of them all. Had the engine on and ready to race to the weigh-in before the net was out of the water. Now, since he'd already landed an 18 and a 23 earlier that day (the latter won the division that year), and he said that this fish was "significantly bigger", we figured we might have a shot at winning the whole thing.

It was a sturgeon. Maybe 45 lbs. He got his picture in the Derby Gazette last spring, at least. Nice fish, exhilarating but a letdown at the same time.

Coolest thing though...last year it was my turn. Same thing, but this time we had some idea of what might be on the end of the line. Prehistoric looking beasts. I guess DEC recommends that you don't even bring them in the boat, trying to establish a breeding stock.

Anyway, it's a new year. Anybody want to go jigging?

Gator

Hank,

While I don't advocate cruelty to any animal, I believe that was the least of the reasons for stopping snagging. Like most other causes, I think it was the vocal minority of elitists (sp) that made their case against virtually no opposition. I don't miss it at all, but it was fun to watch from the shore along the Salmon River!

Oh yeah, I have caught seagulls in Dunkirk Harbor on both minnows and rapalas.

well my buddy holds the cake for this one. we were trolling for spring browns when one of the flat lines just doubles over the rod, after fighting for like 3 minutes we pulled it in only to see a dead possum had been caught. during the fall derby we had one line set for lakers when it popped, he ran over to it, thinking we had the worlds biggest laker, and a 20 minute fight, we got the line to the back of the boat to fing we had snagged somebody elses broken wire line with a dead salmon still hooked in the mouth. free tackle we thought, dipsy, spin doc and fly all there. and last but not least had a warm day in march last year, march 13th to be exact, took the boat out and landed about a five or six pound brown. three weeks later while trolling 5-10 miles away caught the same fish. took pics of both of them, compared and without a doubt it is the same fish.

Well Gator posted one of my better stories. One of his better ones involved a goose on Braddocks and a spinner bait. How he hit that goose in mid air with his cast I still don't know, because he sure can't hit them with a shotgun. Anyways his $ 5.00 spinner bait is probably somewhere in Canada.

Another great one that I saw was a guy at Selkirk Shores up by Pulaski. He was casting a huge cleo for kings out in the lake. Needless to say, he hooked his wife in the top of the skull on his backcast. The best part was when he double yanked it from the back "trying to get it off the tree". I think he ended up divorced right there.

XDB I have also caught a dead possum while trolling :shock: :?

Caught a Shimano bait caster and Bass Pro rod infront of Ginnea back in the day before those damn terrorists ruined it for us :evil: :evil: :evil:

Back in the 80's a buddy and I caught a sheephead about 10 Lbs while troliing in 100FOW on if my memory serves me right, like some stupid Coors or Budwiser plug that he had put out (don't ask me why) :$ :shock: :?

This was not me but with the same guy as mentioned above (Kirk) back in 1984 fishing from the Summerville pier. It's the first night out for a friend of ours with his 2 brand new 7 foot Uglysticks with the good ole Cardinal reels and he goes over to take a piss in the river and all we hear is the sound of a pole scraping across the concrete and then a splash. He's running over trying to get his pants zipped up too. Then about half hour later the other Kirk hooks into a king and a few minutes later I see this pole sticking up from the water around Kirks line and sure enough he's caught the same fish with the other guys pole, line and hook still attached to the salmon :shock: :shock: :shock:. That was a 30lb salmon to boot.

I'm not sure what the oddest catch has been on board...has to be either the 14 lb. Burbot that we landed down 150 ft. fishing for lakers, the loon that we landed at the beginning of May...just might be the best fighting king we caught that spring!!!...or the little cleo we caught after a guy casted across our yellow bird from the pier in the fall...the good news is...we won them all!!!

This was strange....I was fishing a bass pond on a golf course and using a spinnerbait. Right when the spinnerbait hit the water a huge splash erupted. I set the hook and started reeling in whatever made the splash, it was fighting like a tire. After about ten minutes of slowly cranking this dead weight I get a glimpse. A huge snapping turtle and once I dragged it up to shore I realize it only has the skirt in its mouth and no hook. Once he was on the shore he just let go, turned around, and swam away. :?

1. Last year caught a 5 inch yellow perch on a NK28, in the mouth?

2. Caught a seagull casting for kings when you could fish off the nuclear plants, dam thing bit me.

3. I caught a duck off the peers that dove after my bait.

4. Hooked a seal off of Monterey, CA drifting for Halibut on the bottom of 60' of water, man can they fight, we chased it so I coudl get some spiderwire back and the hook pulled out.

I once caught a motorcycle or snowmobile windshield while fishing for bass in Irondequoit Bay in front of Seabreeze. Was several years ago, still a kid in my dad's boat. I couldn't believe that it made it up to the surface without breaking the line or the pole!

I have two expereinces that ill never forget.

1. About 6 years ago I caught a 10lb Catfish trolling for salmon out in front of the salmon river in about 150feet on a pirate black/silver spoon. Thought the whole time it was a lake trout. Didnt fight at all.

2. Fishing in the Fulton finger lakes in Old Forge. I think it was the 2 lake. Fishing for bass and when we tried pulling the anchor i couldnt pull it up. thinking it was stuck. Me, my dad and my brother all pulled the line up and when it got to the top it was a have rotted deer we snag by the antlers. It was pretty amazing to see that. Figure it must of fell through the ice during the winter.

Pat

Guest ReelDiel

my bro and i were fishing the lower river for steelhead one year. we were on the canadian side on the queenston drift and he hooks a monster rod is bent straight over didn't know 20min later a 16" radial snow tire surfaces on 6lb test the size 8 hook was perfect on the inner lip of the tire....he wouldnt hold it for a picture i laughed for quite awhile. especially when he was yelling at me to get the net ready!!!!!!!!

When I was a kid we were out fishing for lakers when one rod went off. We thought we lost it, when all of a sudden, all three riggers start bouncing. About 45 mins later after raising all three riggers slowly, we brought up a gill net that must have broken away from shore. We weren't the first to catch it either...there were a couple Fish Hawk probes, and a bunch of lures stuck in it. Pretty good days' haul!

This didnt happen to me but its a great story.

A buddy of mine had a pickup truck with a gun rack in the back window.

He had a couple fishing poles on the rack rigged ready for fishing.

Well he ended up with one of the "ladies of the evening" and she happened to be wearing a bulky sweater. When she got out of the truck one of the hooks got caught in her sweater. My buddy said as he was driving away he heard the drag clicking off,he cut the line and let her go.

True story.

I was fishing with my cousins off Hedges about 25 years ago and we were drifting with worms and we were killing the Smallies...My cousins at the time were 6 and 8 years old me a whopping 11 years old..My youngest cousin says I got a big one.....Just before he lifts it over the side, I said its not swimming right.....That is when it broke the surface a huge EEL !!!...I think I crapped myself, we cut the line and took our 8 foot flat boat back to shore.....I still laugh with the cousins over that !!!!

I was casting spoons off the pier next Hedges restaurant in Webster. We had been killing the browns all morning, next cast the reel stops and what ever hit the cleo just took off for Canada.......After at least an hour of playing tug of war, I had snagged a monster carp in the head!!!!!....I was not a happy camper.....

I was fishing the canal almost 20 years ago and we did real well on everything.......I mean everything.....well I cast the lure out get a nice hit start to fight, who knows what because it is such a mixed bag down there....I look up and skimming accross the water was a huge snake.....He kept swimming right towards me......I cut the line and left.....Game Over !!