Legacy -The 2023 Deer Season-

Legacy

Sat in the rain all day and never saw a thing move. Went out the next morning as the rain stopped and they were on their feet. Got into my stand a little late (got lost in the dark on state land). Finally settled in at 7:20 and at 7:58 this guy showed up. We have pics from him on our lease and he was just out cruising. He came into 12 yards. IMG_3018.thumb.jpeg.eab0939dccd97d142b1884b7484c8381.jpegIMG_3076.thumb.jpeg.9abc7d266862cb9c192b19c409342314.jpegIMG_2910.thumb.jpeg.62d4b8b7737374d329c2c1a851d8ba64.jpegIMG_3078.thumb.jpeg.8bad9c2ec18d6375382b7f65133913cb.jpeg

Edited by bout time
  • Like 10

Pretty ugly weather pattern here for the next few days. However Monday looks like an absolute killer day to be in the woods.  Long term forecast is predicting some drastically cold weather starting about October 30th. Should make for some great hunting!

May be an image of text that says 'ROCHESTER 7 DAY FORECAST By Kevin Williams FRI SAT SUN MON TUE WED THU 64 56 48 50 49 60 43 65 39 60 35 45 51'

Well cameras have no doubt slowed down a bit this week with overall deer movement. Last week it seemed like the young bucks showed up in full force and it was finally the end of big bachelor groups. Not sure if there has been a change in food sources but certainly a possibility. Im getting to the point where the only thing still standing is corn and that wont get harvested until next month some time. Food is plentiful but not like it was a month ago.

Yesterday was the first time in a very long time that I didnt have a daylight photo of a mature buck. Weather is the easy excuse. Haha, as Im writing this my cell cam notifications sound off with a mature buck pic. Too damn funny. I will say daylight photos are 3 to 1 in the pm hours. 

3 hours ago, Legacy said:

Well cameras have no doubt slowed down a bit this week with overall deer movement. Last week it seemed like the young bucks showed up in full force and it was finally the end of big bachelor groups. Not sure if there has been a change in food sources but certainly a possibility. Im getting to the point where the only thing still standing is corn and that wont get harvested until next month some time. Food is plentiful but not like it was a month ago.

Yesterday was the first time in a very long time that I didnt have a daylight photo of a mature buck. Weather is the easy excuse. Haha, as Im writing this my cell cam notifications sound off with a mature buck pic. Too damn funny. I will say daylight photos are 3 to 1 in the pm hours. 

The same thing happens most years in the week or so prior to "prime time rut" at the end of Oct/early November. The doe are being harrassed by big and little bucks and if one is in early estrus a few properties over, every buck in the woods is probably chasing her around. Once more does are in heat, it spreads out the rutting activity tremendously. The bucks are breaking up and starting to figure it all out.

Also, I'm convinced that deer are more on edge this time b/c of the tremendous hunter pressure the first few weeks of bow - lots of hunting, people doing stand work, last minute camp work, etc. 

As far as food, deer change their eating habits this time of year. They are shifting from open ag and the mixed greens of food plots, to more of woody stem browse, forbs, acorns, etc within the woods. I see it all the time - I have five food plots that are loaded with deer throughout the summer and fall, too, but many times the deer are feeding in the woods right on the edge of the plot this time of year and they're eating stems, leaves, forbs, etc.

I think next week could be great - the first cold, calm, sunny day after the rain and wind this weekend could be great (I think that's Monday next week)

Awesome buck you shot - congrats!!!

Chris

• Like 1