Legacy -The 2023 Deer Season-

Legacy

Can't catch a lucky  break here during gun!   Passed up a.few more small bucks, some ffawns and does.  Did pass up a decent buck Tuesday morning (I'll add pic).  And tonight almost got a crack at a good one but he came out on this little trail I was watching literally the same minute I got settled into my spot on the ground and he came out 30yds from me 😡😡.  I needed 1 more minute!  And I would of been set n ready!   Ughh the chase continues.  received_2014338122283646.thumb.jpeg.ff763ccd71b8d90c3244da01f0313c8a.jpeg

• Like 2

Well,  had a nice broadside shot at 70yds on the buck I saw yesterday  coming  out of the thicket he tried to go into last night.haf a few does pass thru earlier and was giving it till 930 then I said screw it staying till 10 and he came out at 935...  😡.  Gun definitely didn't chamber correctly..  if I was a quieter i would throw in the towel now. 

IMG_20231202_094607574.jpg

26 minutes ago, machzrcr said:

Well,  had a nice broadside shot at 70yds on the buck I saw yesterday  coming  out of the thicket he tried to go into last night.haf a few does pass thru earlier and was giving it till 930 then I said screw it staying till 10 and he came out at 935...  😡.  Gun definitely didn't chamber correctly..  if I was a quieter i would throw in the towel now. 

Light primer strike.  That sucks!   Either not chambered correctly or firing pin isn't working freely.  

Yupp... It's an a/r 10. So u really have to chuck it shut which I have been trying to do when I use it.. but got screwed today for sure.  Got to break out the bolt action for my rifle spots for rest of the season.  So frustrating 😞

Last Friday I went to see my dad and do a little work for him and  right away I knew things weren’t right. He could barely walk and when asked to go to the hospital or urgent care he declined and said take the kids home and go hunting. After a late start I got set up and reached for my phone to text my father and plead once again to go to the hospital.  He declined again and ten minutes later I had a few does and a smaller buck come out and make a scrape.  As I watched him a doe came out and behind her in the brush I noticed another buck. He came out and proceeded to chase the doe away from me from ninety to one hundred and sixty yards. First shot with the new smokeless muzzleloader I built last year and he dropped.  At 4:10 pm I called dad to let him know, he’s always the first call and was very excited.  Dad fell on Sunday and laid on the ground for over eight hours before my sister got to him. Later that night we learned his pain and inability to walk was due to tumors on his spine, lungs and liver.  I have to believe there was some intervention or a higher power that put that deer in front of me. I put very little time into gun hunting over the years because I love hunting with the bow.  This was the first descent buck I have ever shot at. He was the reason I built the new gun. I added dads, my uncles and kids initials to the bolt handle to remind me of the special people in my life and those no longer here.  As of now we await dads prognosis. He has had six CAT scans and four MRI’s and my heart breaks as the man who’s taught me everything I know is struggling.  I always thought I was the best at everything I did whether it was hunting , fishing, or any of the sports I played growing up. I now realize he was the best, as he gave me the best spots when we went hunting and always was a little slower to grab the pole when we trolled.  With so much uncertainty surrounding him right now I know I won with him as my dad. 

CE8B02F2-DC02-415F-8450-C6582FD3F51B.jpeg

DE2E3511-8756-4D04-B5C6-D1F44644CAF6.jpeg

722FAB36-AEF8-429B-B475-5417F3224B94.jpeg

• Like 10

10 hours ago, sectvchamps1113 said:

Last Friday I went to see my dad and do a little work for him and  right away I knew things weren’t right. He could barely walk and when asked to go to the hospital or urgent care he declined and said take the kids home and go hunting. After a late start I got set up and reached for my phone to text my father and plead once again to go to the hospital.  He declined again and ten minutes later I had a few does and a smaller buck come out and make a scrape.  As I watched him a doe came out and behind her in the brush I noticed another buck. He came out and proceeded to chase the doe away from me from ninety to one hundred and sixty yards. First shot with the new smokeless muzzleloader I built last year and he dropped.  At 4:10 pm I called dad to let him know, he’s always the first call and was very excited.  Dad fell on Sunday and laid on the ground for over eight hours before my sister got to him. Later that night we learned his pain and inability to walk was due to tumors on his spine, lungs and liver.  I have to believe there was some intervention or a higher power that put that deer in front of me. I put very little time into gun hunting over the years because I love hunting with the bow.  This was the first descent buck I have ever shot at. He was the reason I built the new gun. I added dads, my uncles and kids initials to the bolt handle to remind me of the special people in my life and those no longer here.  As of now we await dads prognosis. He has had six CAT scans and four MRI’s and my heart breaks as the man who’s taught me everything I know is struggling.  I always thought I was the best at everything I did whether it was hunting , fishing, or any of the sports I played growing up. I now realize he was the best, as he gave me the best spots when we went hunting and always was a little slower to grab the pole when we trolled.  With so much uncertainty surrounding him right now I know I won with him as my dad. 

Great write up and congrats on the buck. I’ll be praying for your dad in these next upcoming days 

Edited by fisherman21

7 hours ago, sectvchamps1113 said:

Congrats on the buck and hopefully everything works out for your dad. 

It sounds like your Dad was a man who thought more about others than himself - he had to know he was in rough shape, but he really wanted you to get that opportunity, and fate or a higher power delivered. Prayers.

Prayers….

2 days before Halloween about 100am i woke up thinking I had to take a dump so tried nothing happened , then all of a sudden I just projectile vomiting Blood bad. Literally painted the white bathroom Red. My wife woke up she literally started freaking out due to the Blood loss. She called 911 and waited for the ambulance to rive I just non stop projectile vomited. Apparently I passed out in the Monster puddle of Blood due the blood loss. I was a Medic for over 30 years and I never seen anything this horrible, you would go on incidents that said they were vomiting blood and you see a couple drops around, the paramedics said my BP was 60/40. Long story but I unfortunately stayed at Strong for 5 days due to the blood loss, the RN said I almost died. The doctors said I was insanely close to dying. Apparently one of the side effects of the esophageal cancer surgery is Bleeding Ulcer.. 

Got my son out on the track with me this morning. He has been all about anything hunting or fishing ever since he could talk lol. He was in his glory this morning. It was the perfect track to take him on, as the deer only ran 30 yards into the thick stuff and I watched her fall over. He followed the blood all the way to her. As I was getting ready to dress the deer, I looked over at him and he was behind the deer petting its back saying, “This is awesome……This is awesome”. We got to take a moment to thank God for the opportunity, and for the meat that we have been blessed with. In my time in the outdoors, this morning was right up there with the best of them! I’m just very blessed. Just a very cool few moments this morning with my little guy. He was also very persistent on helping drag the deer back to the truck…..so the drag took twice as long. I was dying lol. Can I really ask for anything else though? Just awesome 

IMG_4018.jpegIMG_4028.thumb.jpeg.6fdef72b3f178cf6191e7d47859a4e21.jpeg

Edited by fisherman21
  • Like 10

On 12/2/2023 at 2:31 PM, machzrcr said:

you and me both.. friends grandpa wanted a deer..doe came out pulled up 2 rounds primer strikes no bang.. Remington ammo and a new 308 783.. never done it before probably put 20 rounds threw it

IMG_2710.jpeg

• Sad 1