Border Patrol Boat

Tuesday i was fishing out of the Oak in about 175 of water when out of nowhere the border patrol baot pull up behind me with his blue light flashing. I had boards out both sides with about 75-100' leads on the rods. He got dangerosuely close to getting in my lines, but all three occupants where still in the cabin. I ddin't know what they were up to. Then they pulled up around the outside of the port side board and tucked in next to me. They then shut it down, while i was still trolling. In about two seconds my ski line was touching their boat. One office came out and I tried to calmly tell him that he was getting into my lines. The officer that had emerged from the cabin told the captain to pull forward. I was pretty miffed at this point. At that point they fianlly announced they were border patrol officers, asked me a bunch of questions, then told me the next time they pull up beside me i should pull up my lines immediately. Like i knew that! plus, you don't pull 8 rods with 100'leads up in a minute or two.

Then the driver hit the throttle and they were gone (Looked like three 200 HP Mercs on the back)

I wondered if anyone elese has had a similar experience?

a buddy of mine did a few years ago up by cape vincent.. but they made him cut his engine with 6 offshore inlines out!! he said he was untagling for an hour after that

That'd be the day!

I guess they don't have anything else to do but go around without a clue and harass fishermen, all while spending our tax dollars (triple 200 hp outboards = less than 1mpg) in such a misguided way. They were probably acting under orders from the illustrious Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano. She thinks the Canadian border is the same as the Mexican border :lol: Maybe she should travel to the northern border to find out, oh that would be a waste of tax dollars too, she still wouldn't know the difference :rofl::makeup: now that is lipstick on a pig. BLLLLLAAAAAHHHHHH :puke:

We had better get used to it since that's how it's going to be from now on. Just as a Sheriff, or Coast Guard Vessel, give them the utmost of respect and kindly inform them of approaching your boat in that manner.

Cops SUCK :lol::lol::lol:

Yea until you need one....Like when you wife or daughter gets in an accident or has a flat and some good civil servant changes her tire, or stands by till AAA gets there. The Police have gotten a bad rap lately. Sure there are alot of crappy things going on, and you know what Bad on those guys. Bad on the guys who give good cops a bad name. As far as those BP guys......They probably didn't have any idea what goes into trolling a spread. I'm not making excuses you guys just have to remember not everyone on the lake has a clue what we do. Most BP guys start off in one of the worst crappy areas on the Mexican border. Every day they face the possibility of some national killing them in order to get into the US. I have alot of respect for the job they do and the coast guard for that matter. Its just a sign of the times and we have to adjust to it.

Last year ,they pulled up at my favorite spring pier, big boat ,I think there were 4 or 5 officers- guns [big guns] . They wanted to know what I'm doing. I'm standing in about 6 inches of water, tackle box my net , casting off the East jetty at Sandy creek. Was extremely - [big guns ] polite to them - they checked my liscense and were off on there way. I may look suspious to some folks, but if I'm setting mines in the channel ,I'm probably not going to doing it at 8 oclock in the Am. Understand what thet are doing and all, but it seems they might be more succesful in thwarting terrorism other places. Either way, makes for a good story. By the way, that's the only time I have ever had liscense checked in over 30 years fishing !

Missdemeaner,

Thanks for going on the defense of this unfortunate incident that happened to RodBuster and crew. Unfortunately most people don't have the understanding of the job function of an officer in the line of duty. I can asure all good fishermen that no intentional harm was done to to tangle lines or lose valuable gear. Everday I personally deal with issues on the northern border to asure that my homeland (an yours) remains safe and secure. You are correct in stating the Canadian border is not the Mexican border.There is 4 times as much more border to the north and 1/4 of the officers to patrol, all potential points of entry must be considered. Everyday the threat exist of illegal aliens,contraband,weapons,etc entering, and when confronted desperate measure are often taken to avoid capture. Please remember that law enforcement have families they want to go home to safely, and yes they spend time fishing when time allows too.

Respectfully yours.

A LOU member.

Here is the problem guys................................The folks filling these positions are from the (blue) cities and suburbs. They were weened on the xbox and ps2 and have no clue why the rods are bent over on the back of the boat or what the red things are out to the side.

They know what the manual says and what their trainer told them, but they are not able to process what is in front of them and come to a rational conclusion. They could be reasonable and think: “would a smuggler be going 2.5 miles/hour in a circle for the last 2 hours?†(they would know this because they have equipment to watch you while hiding under the horizon 30+ miles away)

If they came to the conclusion that they have a reasonable suspicion that you are smuggling and pose a threat to national security, you would think that they could announce their intentions – they do have loud hailers on those boats- then allow you time to prepare for them to approach the boat.

I guess that they would need probable cause to search your boat – oh yeah, that changed it used to be that way back when the country operated under the constitution. Now it operates under the ACLU where if you look like a smuggler (suntan, beard, towel on head ect.) you won’t get searched because that is profiling, but if you look like a fisherman the ignorant, frustrated law enforcers pull you over.

When evil is called good and good is presumed evil the good must stand tall and proclaim their innocence. I will show them respect like Mick said and then before they leave my boat I will calmly and politely let them know that they inconvenienced me and my crew of American Citizens and ask that they remember my boat and my honest occupation on the lake next time they are in the area. And one more thing, I will video tape them the whole time that they are in my presence. Maybe if I get the same guys on tape more than once, I’ll call the ACLU.

CC

PS. Disclaimer -- this post is my opinion and not intended to offend any specific individual.

PSS. ADDED

I can asure all good fishermen that no intentional harm was done to to tangle lines or lose valuable gear.

If that is the case then they can use the hailer technique as described above. -- Can't they??? I can appreciate it if I am asked if I saw a SUSPICIOUS boat or jet ski; but, to stop me while fishing to find out if I am a US citizen when I am 35 miles from foreign soil and going in circles IS intentional harassment at worst and ignorance at best. Disclaimer still stands – I am sure Glenn is not driving the boat!!

I used 2 get pulled over 4 a safety check all the time in the river. Yes they can pull you over 4 that reason alone. coast gaurd has always been ok with it, the police not so much. Game warden has stretched out a net before while trolling to drop my liscence in so i didnt have to pull llines.So one day 2 my own surprise, i get out of work early, i took both pitt bulls (witch would lick you 2 death) and trolled the river 4 eyes given the lake was to windy. Same cops who pulled me over 2 weeks earlier ask me to reel a line in and start 2 pull up next to me state they were going 2 do a safety check. as there almost to my side both dogs get up off the floor and scare the hell out of the 2 old cops. one asks me in a hectic voice to contain the dogs. Answering" how the hell do i do that in a 15 foot boat?" I guess you had to be there but it was the funniest dam thing and i didnt get a answer 2 the question. after that we were on a friendly wave basis 4 years 2 come.

Now it operates under the ACLU where if you look like a smuggler (suntan, beard, towel on head ect.)

Uh oh Ray, not only one eye open but bring a shaver too....three days on the water livin in yer boat and buffy with yer towel on yer head, tryin ta keep that thang from gittin too much solar energy, Ya might look threatening all puffed up :lol:

PS..Thanks rodbuster for helping to educate the officers on patrol on how to approach and address a fishing vessel (hopefully it was a learning experience for them as well) that is obviously engaged in fishing at 2.5mph. Maybe the rest of us will benefit from that and not have the same stressful encounter. I'm not against being safe in this country but would appreciate some form of common sense from individuals who are supposed to be previously trained in the rules of duty and know what to look for. Running interference with ones fishing equipment and the forward progress necessary to maintain it's order is just ignorant on anyone's part, being it authority figures or not. Polite is OK, and ask them if they mind standing off until you have retrieved your equipment and that forward progress be maintained at current speed until that time is complete.

I think it would have been different had they known the techniques used for sportfishing the lake, something they should learn before they go out on any particular body of water for training. I have had no bad experiences with the agencies that "know" (Coast Guard, Sheriff, and DEC). Hopefully they have logged the experience as one of notable worthiness, and use the encounters as part of their training. BTW the border patrol is hiring every walk of life they can get for the job, and you know what the job market is like right now...

Mark

Maybe Napolitano's people were looking for the new possible security threat from the former military personnel. (as she has stated) I think it is going to be a long 4 years, hopefully not 8.

Maybe Napolitano's people were looking for the new possible security threat from the former military personnel. (as she has stated) I think it is going to be a long 4 years, hopefully not 8.

Isn't she special? No respect for the military and compares them to domestic terrorists :dull:

Ah, now you know what we put up with here in PA. PA Fish and Boat Commission... Power hungry, Overbearing, and have the attitude of "guilty until proven inocent". My dad has always hated the fact that PA makes you display your license. In his method of quiet protest he always pins his license to the fly of his jeans. I don't think I have ever seen him checked in all my years.

The next time anything like that happens just grab a pen and paper and ask everyone on that boat for their names, badge number and supervisors name. The road goes both ways when it comes to busting chops. I'm wating for the time the the PAFBC tries to do that to me.

Ya know if i got pulled over by the coasties or B P i would put my shoorts on and greet them with open arms (specialy if there was women on board their vessel). If any of us heard a boatfull of bombs were dicoverd on OUR waters we all would be giving praise at the efforts of OUR homeland securty .We all have spent more time untangling rods or clearing rods to fight a fish than it takes to do a securty check.If there checking boats maybe they know something we dont or are training for the real deal.They ant gonna give anyone time to arm a bomb by giving FAIR warning who they are or what their intentions are . I would shake there hands and thank everyone of them for putting THEIR LIFE ON THE LINE FOR US. Times are a changing ,i was in newburgh the day of the bust of terriost if they got there way and shot down a C-5A OVER US the fallout might have ended my post then you all would of sufferd,or not. So give'em a break they are here for our protection all branches of our military need to practice for the real thing just think of it as doing YOUR PART of helping to train the new guys and have a beer knowing you just help train a "newbe" Ray K. U.S.M.C. AIRWING WITH MANY TRAINING MISSIONS to this day i could still take out a boat flying 60knots with a .50 cal, drop a terrest at 500 yds with one shot or survive in the wild surviving on the land due to my nusance training..just dont expect me to run 3 miles in under 18 min them days are long gone

I think there an attempt to should be made by us, through our fishing and charter organizations to educate our BP offices on our method of madness on the lake. I do believe fair warning should be given to any boat that is going to be pulled over or borded, whether sheriff, coast guard, or BP. If we have lost the right to only be boarded when doing suspicous activities, then we at least deserve the respect by our protectors to clear our tackle in order to make their job easier. I know this is the sign of the times, but given up some of these little freedoms I feel is not the way to protect us.

I know these guys have a job to do, but this is not the Mexican border, there are whole lot of other activities that people partake in on our lake, and they should be educated on these activities.

I only feel that if for some reason a fisherman loses tackle in an inccident such as this, or anyone that has been subject to damages, then that individual should be able to submit a bill to replace that tackle, or to fix damages.

Just a couple thoughts to add to this thread.

Chris

Im with you Ray on this one :rofl: . How many of you have lost equipment due to the above problem :o ? One incident is all it takes to get the mob motivated. I love it when some one from the get go ask for your name and badge number, and pulls out the cell phone video, just a note of advise if you do like Ray stated you end up with a lot less tickets in your hands. Ha Ha :lol::lol:

I guess the reason I get so upset when crap like this happens is that apperantly the fourth amendment doesn't hold true on the water. Unless this was different then what happens down here... Here, you are to stop and they BOARD you to do the "safety check". Bottom line is that is a search without probable cause. Did they get a tip off about me? Did I have an AK-47 stuck in one of the rod holders? No just a random boat that they decided they would use to meet their quota of checks for the day. The first time they check me you'll probably soon there after see my boat being towed in with me in cuffs, because I won't stand for this kind of manure.

Look some industrialist is looking for a scheme to sell some of his products. He gets some Washington politicos, who he has in his pocket, to come up with an issue, like terrrorists attacking America. They sell to the taxpayers a bunch of high priced boats. They hire and train some former workers whose jobs were outsourced to offshore to save on Medicare and Social Security costs. Out go the boats and nothing happens. Some beancounter complains, so the boys have to start coming up with numbers showing the boats checked. And you are the next one checked.

I think this thread has had a SPECIAL purpose here.......All the world and especially here, we have had a very STEEP learning curve to hold onto ever since 09/11/01. It may seem a long time ago that we were attacked, our civil liberties disrupted, and were never so united together in keeping our freedoms from being taken away, but it was not long ago. Thanks to every determined American, in all our wars, in all our awareness as citizens, and all our intelligence and enforcement agencies, we have maintained the highest level of quality of life on Earth here in our country, the USA. The Agencies protecting us are silent for the most part, like the security programs running in the background of the computer you are reading this on. Every once in a while, they pop up to let us know they are doing their job, keeping spy's and hackers and virus's from harming our fun and productivity. Are they annoying and inconveniences when they do this? Well yeah, in a way, especially when you are in the middle of YOUR freedom to use the machine for those activities, but then you realize, you put them there to protect you, and your world, on the machine from harm. Anyone who travels the airways knows and is reminded each time, what security is all about. If anyone travels to foreign nations, and return to the USA, you are reminded of what it is all about. Some of us have become subjects of a training mission as Rod Buster and his crew were. I have been several times, since my business takes me across country borders with Canada and Mexico. Yes it sucks to be the subject of a search and seemingly needless questioning, but you get a sense of why it is happening when you put reason to it, and forget about your inconvenience, and they will forget about some of the otherwise cocky attitude they exhibit from authority, when you thank them for doing the job we have put them there for, and that is our protection. They are trying to learn just as much as we are, and they will get better at what they do as time goes on. Ray is correct in his views of what they,, (the BP, or coasties, and sheriff),, might be doing, when they find something that would shock us all, to think what could have been a really bad day to happen. Remember how you felt on a warm Sept 11th day in 2001...........I remember well.......I do not want to feel that way again. Every American has the duty to keep us safe, and if it is inconvienience, remember the inconveinence that over 3000 Americans felt, on that terrible day. DO NOT BECOME COMPLACENT!!!!!!

I, as a professional driver, of America's highways have been a member of our company's highway watch program which will train 400,000 transportation professionals how to respond if they or their cargo are targeted by terrorists who would use large vehicles or hazardous cargoes as a weapon. The commercial ports require all workers to be qualified and pass a security check to be able to act as stewards of the safety of our vital economic areas, in the form of the TWIC card. Every American can help keep our way of life intact.

If you are on our waterways, please be vigilant. If something looks unordinary, or suspicious, don't keep it to yourself. The Great Lakes are a border that is tough to patrol. It wouldn't take much for a 70mph jet ski or hot boat to be here in minutes with who knows what. Like if you see a jet ski whizzing along at 70 mph in 500 feet of water 15 miles from shore, take note and don't puzzle about it. Call the authorities with what you saw. Remember that these impoundments are public water supplies and easily can be compromised near their sources of pickup. If any of you have ever tried to stop and view the scenery in the Catskills along the water impoundments for NYC, you quite likely were greeted by a fast arrival of security to find out what you are doing. That is no different than the water we are using for our enjoyment everyday.

I have kept certain phone numbers at my service, including the local DEC, and of course 911.

Here is one everyone should have in their phone. It is for the Transportation Security Administration (TSA)

1-866-615-5150. (hopefully it is not hooked to Napolitano's phone).

Sorry for the long post, but It's hard for some of us to remember there is a war going on, especially when we are all having so much fun being....American....Thank You every American soldier, for helping us to put fear away, and go out to enjoy another free day..SALUTE!

Respectfully, Mark