The Eclipse

Curious to see what the whole event looks like. Bar a mile south of me is charging $60 a car just for parking. Heard people are paying big money to get out on boats. May drive by Hamlin Beach State Park noon ish and see if they’re already full. 

For those who are interested, There will be a full eclipse event in Buckland park off Westfall road in Brighton. there is plenty of free parking and they will bring Food trucks.

For those who want to read about catastrophic full eclipses, there is a short story written in 1941 by Isaac Asimov about an eclipse. It is called "Nightfall". It is one of his finest works.

Now, what will you do if it the sky is full of clouds?

And maybe don't take a picture of the eclipse with your phone. I'm told that you should use a solar filter or risk damage. This is secondhand intel.

I'll be sitting on my back porch & should get a perfect view as neighbor cut down that tree.    There's no way I'd go to a park or be on the water.  People are generally nuts during the full moon so I can't imagine what they'll be like during a total eclipse!  

If cloudy, which Rochester generally is, it should go totally dark.  Will be interesting to see if the street/expressway lights come on.

Yahoo & The Weather Network posted an article about reporting any "weird" things that people observe during the eclipse and they're asking people to report events.  The site is eclipsesoundscapes.org. ) NOT an April Fool's Day joke) Apparently started by the Boston Society of Natural History years ago and has some NASA sponsorship.  So, if you notice bees returning to their hives; bats flying around; racoon coming out; crickets chirping; squirrels hiding; wind changes; etc. they encourage you to report it.  Sounds like a pretty neat thing to keep an eye on. 

What if it's cloudy?  All these big events being planned and it very well could not happen!  I'm just happy I will be working and not dealing with the extra traffic.  

I live in Watertown, right in the direct path. The city is warning of chaos  180000 extra people expected , traffic gridlock , the Watertown airport is expecting 157 inbound flights , they normally have 2-3 per day  There are several streets being closed on the 8 th. The hospital has issued a special code. Only ER will be open for business. This should be an experience. I’m going to sit in my yard with a nice rum punch and watch the eclipse and the fun 

Being from South Jersey and not close to the totality zone I thought it might be cool to see a total solar eclipse once before I die, so I started checking for hotel rooms in upstate NY in the totality zone. If available, rooms that were normally $80-120 a night are going for $229-400 a night for April 7th & 8th, so my first thought was “What if it’s cloudy?” after a 350 mile drive. So I guess I won’t get to see a total solar eclipse in my lifetime. Count yourselves lucky, folks.

3 minutes ago, nickihoyboy said:

Being from South Jersey and not close to the totality zone I thought it might be cool to see a total solar eclipse once before I die, so I started checking for hotel rooms in upstate NY in the totality zone. If available, rooms that were normally $80-120 a night are going for $229-400 a night for April 7th & 8th, so my first thought was “What if it’s cloudy?” after a 350 mile drive. So I guess I won’t get to see a total solar eclipse in my lifetime. Count yourselves lucky, folks.

Same for rental cars. 

3 minutes ago, Fishnut said:

I am going fishing out of the oak. What time is the eclipse going to start?

Basically 2-4 I think. 

• Thanks 1

I think you have to be smart about it . If you want to go to a population center for the party , then expect craziness . Get a room maybe 150 miles out of the zone .Get up early and drive up , maybe on some back roads . Find a small town and see it  there . 

And the Egg Cream is the official drink of the eclipse . 

If it's cloudy , I'll put some Vodka in it . 

Edited by HB2
  • Like 1

I was up in Rochester this past weekend for the LOCBA fishing flea market and I couldn’t get over the number of lighted message boards alerting drivers about the eclipse and to expect travel delays. I guess they expect that drivers are just gonna stop on the highways and watch it happen.

46 minutes ago, nickihoyboy said:

I was up in Rochester this past weekend for the LOCBA fishing flea market and I couldn’t get over the number of lighted message boards alerting drivers about the eclipse and to expect travel delays. I guess they expect that drivers are just gonna stop on the highways and watch it happen.

That’s not as funny as it sounds. Years ago the local ford/chevy/ everything dealer had a promotion he had Robbie Knieval here to jump like 150 cars. Rt 11 , a major 2 lane , had that exact thing happen. It became a parking lot , north and southbound lanes were totally blocked for 10 miles. People just got out of their cars and left them in the middle of the road. There is a golf course near the venue , and hundreds of cars parked on the fairways and greens. Tow trucks couldn’t get to them to tow.  So I can see this happening for the eclipse 

The big difference here is that you only need to look up to see the eclipse. I'm skeptical that it's going to be as bad as they say. But what do I know? I'm a Yankee, but I'm not from Connecticut and I've never been in King Author's court. 

Rochester is playing it up pretty good.  Downtown city supposed to have 3 min 34 sec of totality.  Buffalo to have 3 min & Syracuse to have under 2 min.  East of Syracuse won't have totality.  

If heavy clouds, City will go pitch dark.  

• Thanks 1