The Eclipse

Hope the fishing is good for folks who plan to be out during the eclipse. Think it'd be pretty interesting to be on the water during the event. 

Also, I'll be curious to hear any fishing reports that come out of it and if any unusual fish activity happens. I'd be neat if the fish start feeding like it's dusk/dawn when the totality is going on.

Best of luck to anyone who can get out fishing during it!

Seems to me like a whole lot of hulabalou  over 4 minutes of darkness . 

It pretty cool and all that but it's a little overplayed IMO. 

Lets wait and see 

I'll be trout fishing on one of my local ponds if the wind isn't cranking. I'm curious as to what, if anything it will do to the trout bite. Got the word out to my bass fishing buddys to see if any of them will be out., Haven't heard anything yet from the bass guys.

5 hours ago, HB2 said:

Seems to me like a whole lot of hulabalou  over 4 minutes of darkness . 

It pretty cool and all that but it's a little overplayed IMO. 

Lets wait and see 

For sure. Oswego county issued a local state of emergency for it. Schools and daycares now closed.

If you want to see what the totality is like, go outside for about 4 minutes around midnight then go back inside. 

There's a lot of pooh-poohing about this, but I think it's cool as $hit. I mean, just the history of eclipses and the mythology surrounding them is enough for me to want to see one. IMHO, it compares favorably to looking at a bunch of rocks in Mexico that some Mayans once used as a temple or sitting on your couch Sunday afternoon watching some guy try to knock a small white ball into a hole (both of which I've done and enjoyed lol).

And the whole four minute thing makes it better. You don't have to waste a day driving somewhere, dealing with bad food and dudes hawking selfie sticks, you just need to go outside and look up.

IMHO, the value you place on experience isn't inherent, it's subjective and reflects what it means to you. Even if you don't personally care much, there are folks who are just out of their minds about this eclipse. And good for them! Heck, most folks don't see the value in freezing your a$$ off to catch a three pound brown in March...

Edited by Gator
  • Like 4

Well said Gator.  

Also... A total solar eclipse happens once every 2 years somewhere on the planet. The US makes up 1.5% of the surface of the Earth. So to have a total solar eclipse go through NYS in your lifetime is an awesome event! You should try to see it. The next to hit NYS is 2079, if my kids are lucky, they might be able to see 2 in NYS in their life... If I live to 100, I'll see a second! If you have a chance in the afternoon on the 8th, take in this astronomical event. Please buy eclipse glasses so you don't damage your eyes, you can only look without them during totality for 4ish minutes. 

Center line of the path is about 350 yards south of my house . That's pretty exciting . But I think I will be at my cottage .

What gets me is the accuracy of the long term precise predictions of such an event . There are some real smart people out there . 

As a hard core scientist, I can tell you that God did a great job when he planned this whole existence thing out lol. It all makes sense, if you ask the right questions. Crazy cool.

Many times out of Sandy, my friends have seen the “eclipse” while I’m out there fishing. It’s a free show about 3 times a summer……

I was fishing Bay of Quinte with some buddies , early to mid 90s when a partial eclipse went over.

Fish turned on like crazy.

6-7 walleyes over 6 lbs in less than an hour.

Wind came up shortly afterwards and blew us of the water.

Never seen Hay Bay go from flat water to crazy that fast.

iIf you are out, please report as I would like to see if anyone else has the same luck.

Nit that it really matters because I don’t think many of us will be around for the next total eclipse in this area.😎😎

In recent days, consumer protection agencies have warned about an increase in counterfeit eclipse glasses.  At least one factory in China has been identified as producing counterfeit glasses printed with the name and address of a legitimate factory, so it can be difficult to know whether what you’re getting is legitimate. "

https://www.whec.com/investigations/news-10nbc-investigates-amazon-warning-customers-about-questionable-eclipse-glasses/  

On 4/5/2024 at 11:49 AM, Silver Fox said:

Many times out of Sandy, my friends have seen the “eclipse” while I’m out there fishing. It’s a free show about 3 times a summer……

You had to go there. Not untrue though.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 11:31 AM, Gill-T said:

The trophy picture would be to be holding a king with the eclipse happening in the background. 

We were only a few minute off from catching this one in totality! We had 2 salmon on at the same time but the other broke off. The half hour before and after totality was good for us today.

IMG_2382.jpeg

Edited by ColinC
  • Like 3