LOC Boat Derby Cancelled

Bummer!!!

Received a refund e-mail and found this on the LOC web-site:

DUE TO THE LACK OF INTEREST THE LOC BOAT DERBY IS CANCELLED. If you signed up by credit card, your card will be credited today, June 18th and if you signed up by mail or at a weigh station/registration outlet, your refund check will be mailed out today.

I've waited long enough to say what I want to say. Evidently those who usually have a lot to say on this site when it comes to suckholing are afraid to step up to the plate, when it comes to something being this wrong. This is BS.

It was clearly stated on the entry form that the GO-No Go date would be May 15th. According to this post

Post subject: Re: LOC Derby $1200 per Day Boat DerbyPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:05 pm

Yes, I have received enough email and verbal commitments along with actual checks and registrations for a go. For those who need an applicaiton there is one in the LOC newspaper and on the web site.

This Derby was a go.

Futhermore, You told me personally at the weigh station in youngstown during the spring derby, the first week of May, that this derby was a Go.

Dave, you've tarnished your credability with me. Once you made the commitment to Go, you should have stood by your word,even if a few boats short. You should have anticipated that there would be people registering at the last minute. Once you said it was a Go you should have honored your commitment, even if you took a loss. That is business.

I'm sorry if this comes across as harsh. I sent my check in, in April, and it was cashed. To come home yesterday evening from getting my boat ready to fish this derby in the mornning, turn on the computer to this site, and find out it was cancelled -due to lack of interest- really pissed me off. This is not what I expected from you.

Futhermore, the respose from this site totally underwhelms me. This site should be more than a mutual admiration society. :no:

ROCK and TROLL

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I received 107 responses (41 charter & 66 regular) via email and regular mail from people confirming that they would participate. When it came to pony up, almost 80% of the people never came through. If this were matter of just 'a few boats short" I WOULD have bitten the bullet, but that's far from the case. And two of the boats that actually signed up never sent in any kind of confirmation.

My committment to "Go" was based on the commitments I received, that was the reason I did it that way. If I hadn't received the committments I wouldn't have said it was a go. I wrongly assumed that those who had committed to do it would, I was wrong.

Sorry if I tarnished my creditability with anyone, but refunding the 18 boats entry fees was the only prudent thing to do.

Part of the reason for the lack of response on the site is many on here who said they would participate never came through, so I doubt that it has anything to do with this being any kind of "mutual admiration society". With me people don't tend to lilly gild anything. Rest assured, this will NEVER happen again.

Entered on the 15 th, Received my receipt for payment on the 17 th. Received the cancelation notice on the 18 th. @ 10:42 am. I had already left for the lake at 5:00 am on the 18 th. ( 4 hour ride)Never new it was canceled till around 10:00 am on the 19 th. We would have fished regardless. But it sucks anyway. Boat derby would have been perfect for me. I liked the fact that everyone on the boat is covered. Spring, Summer, and Fall Derby's, Its all on board or none. Kind a has a domino effect with dollars.

I accept my part of the blame. I was sending in my entry on Monday :( I wasn't fishing till next weekend, so I hadn't sent the coin in yet. That being said, I'm only one guy.

Sorry Dave, I should have sent it in sooner.

"but refunding the 18 boats entry fees was the only prudent thing to do"

Hard to believe only 18 boats entered (I do believe you Dave, just very surprised). I would have expected about 1/2 of the summer LOC derby boats to enter. I am disappointed, as so far this was the only derby I am aware of that I could, on a whim, go out by myself after work, and have a chance to enter a fish. One of my friends entered the summer derby just because I had entered the boat derby, so if nothing else maybe this event helped increase the summer LOC entries...

I also committed and was filling out the application Saturday when I learned it was cancelled. I also appologise Dave for our screw up by not entering earlier.

Howie

I'm also guilty

I was one of the originals to E mail Dave my confirmation

It was on me at that point to sometime in the future call in with my credit card #

Something of which I never did

Very sorry, all of us who did much in the same would be where the blame lies....... ( IMO )

Tom

Wow! 80% no-shows? Only 18 boats registered? Seems a no-brainer...you've gotta cancel it. Sounds like the community :devil: 'd itself royally. After reading the numerous responses from folks who wanted to participate, I don't think we can generate a higher level of online enthusiasm...though we personally chose not to enter...I'm guessing it'll be tough to convince anyone to pony up again, either from the sponsor or participant side of things.

So, what's happening with the "other" daily derby that started coincident with the Spring LOC?

Gator

I accept my part of the blame. I was sending in my entry on Monday :( I wasn't fishing till next weekend, so I hadn't sent the coin in yet. That being said, I'm only one guy.

Sorry Dave, I should have sent it in sooner.

Ditto Rod.....I feel bad also as I wasn't fishing this past weekend and planned on sending mine in this week.

Dave:

There's always next year. Will you PLEASE try this boat derby again. I will commit as soon as I know it's on!!

and from what I'm reading above I think others will also...whatch thing Dave are we on for next year?

Mark

Dave,

I think it really sucks that the derby was cancelled BUT, I would have done the same thing if I was in your shoes. No hard feelings here.

Guys,

Cut Dave some slack. He runs these derbies to make a living. He could not bite the bullet on this one if only 18 boats signed up. Do the math, at most (if all charters registered), the entries would have only covered the first 9 1/2 days. Would your family survive if you had to lose $1,150.00 a day? I know mine would not. If Dave tries this again next year, you can bet I will be signing up.

I am guilty of waiting to the last minute, and then my card didnt work right. I will pony up as soon as i hear about the next one. There will be one right? Buddy, old pal, dave. Did you read the progresive post on here? How about lowering the fees and prizes to attract a few more boats? I will call ya soon.