Scent Attractors for your Lures

Do you apply scent or attractors on your lure?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you apply scent or attractors on your lure?

• If yes, is it a WD40?
    • Is it a herring in the meat rig set up that acts as a scent attractor?
    • No, I dont use scent attractor at all because Im a very good fisherman!

I was having a debate with a fellow fishermen who swears by using the scent attractor for fishing.

Hes a bass man and me a salmon/trout/pike man. He offered to use his scent attractor and I refused to allow him to apply his scent attractors on my lures. He has fished with me from time to time and he kept on bringing up the subject about the scent attractor. I told him as long as I am catching fish on my boat, he needs to quit bringing up the topic again.

I do not run meat rigs on my boat and I have seen my buddies use them with success.

Lets share your experience with fellow LOU!

Tight lines!

Not enough choices.

I use a hearing gel that I pour onto the spoons and fly hooks.

I'm not sure how much it helps, but I think it does a bit. I caught 16 fish in 3 hours the first time I started using scent gel. The previous fishing trip was only 6 fish.

It certainly doesn't hurt to use scent - it can only add to the numbers.

We smear the rigger weights with anchovie smelly jelly. Sometimes I'll even tie a rag soaked in smelly jelly sticky liquid to the cable just above the weight. Also put sticky liquid on the spoons and flashers. Putting it on the fly ruins the fly. I know it works. We tried doing half the spread with and half without and you can see the results. You're missing out if you're not using some kind of scent. Been doing it for 20yrs now and I'm not changing now. I even have a video from years back to prove it. 1 side scented, 1 side not, same lures, same depth. Scented outfished unscented 13 to 1. I'm not saying it will always be like that but I know it works.

Total Chaos

I know a veterinarian fisherman who says a Hail Mary and sprinkles some anisette scented holy water on every person on board before lowering the first lure in the water. He uses "Lunker Juice" on all of his lures.

I don't know if it is the spiritual juice or the lunker juice, but he does quite well, although he will tell you that he is "Just Horsing Around".

Lets see the fish find their way back to the birth stream by sense of smell ;) We use scent on the weights and lures. Even sunfish will hit a jig with a piece of worm on it over a jig with out.

I used to use a baitfish scented spray on lures when fishing for bass... Now i rarely use it, as most soft plastics come pre-soaked in salt or bait scent formulas... If im fishing bass/walleye in pretty murkey water ill still sometimes give my lure a little squirt of attractant just in case the flash/motion isnt enough to draw the fish.

As for trout and salmon, i occasionally will put a chunk of powerbait trout/salmon/steelhead bait on the end of my spoons and spinners.

In my experience, scent alone will not cause the fish to hit your lure... The motion of the lure and the color is still the primary force for attracting fish... BUT a little scent/taste enhancement will make a fish hold onto the bait for a second longer, giving you time to set the hook where as maybe without the scent he will spit it out if you dont set him quick enough.

The exception to this rule is when fishing for carp or catfish... Then scent/flavor are just as important if not more important than the appearance of the bait.

I personally stick with spray products you can purchase at the baitshops, or canned powerbait chunks... though i know some guys that swear by some homemade enhancers like Anise extract, cod liver oil or the water from an anchovie container... Usually when i start fishing i dont use any sort of enhancers or attractants... but if i go more than an hour without a fish, then usually i start to take steps to increase the attractiveness of the bait, including scents.