Taste Off - Kings or Coho

idn713

Spring Cohos are considered a delicacy all over the Great Lakes. If you are introducing a relatively new Lake Ontario fish eater to some fresh fillets, make sure it's a Spring Coho. That being said, it's all about the healthy fish fat. The larger Kings have more of it, and at times can have a "richer" taste. It can take more skilled preparation but King Salmon are rated one of the top food fish in the world when taste and nutritional benefits are considered.

Great Lakes wise, a spring Coho is hard to beat. Pacific caught King salmon are the best by far. Traveling to Seattle numerous times gave me a taste of truly good Salmon. The Pacific Kings feed mainly on Herring and Krill(the Krill providing the deep red color and rich flavor) That Herring and Krill diet is what provides the higher fat content and thus the better flavor. That can never be replicated in the Great lakes Kings. If you ever get a chance, try it ,you would be amazed at the difference.

Nasty, slimy, black, river fish (AKA Mud Hens) on the other hand, not much you can do with those IMO, kings OR coho.

Tim

Some guy told me if you soak them in vineagar, they taste the same. I highly doubt that. Some people will eat anything and say it tastes great.