finger lakes shocking

Gambler's point is really something interesting to think about....i guess most of us have just accepted the practices  for years without really questioning it but maybe DEC should be reassessing things especially in light of all the recent habitat destruction from storms and flooding and the other man caused problems. The walleye thing on Conesus is also worthy of re-consideration and I also wonder about Otisco isn't that about the same?

I concur! The trout should be treated like eyes or bass.

The inlet for Cayuga has not been the same since the train derail in late nineties. Conrail took very little heat for spilling hundreds of gallons of diesel into the inlet. Bows have never recovered from it .

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I do not think stream fishing should be closed but some sections of tribs should be off limits.  If there is natural reproduction of trout or salmon shouldn't it be protected to a certain point?  If there is no natural reproduction, let it be open.  The DEC spends Millions a year on stocking the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario and the tribs are a free for all during the spawn.  With the new evidence of good natural reproduction in the Salmon River, shouldn't the most fertile areas (ie Beaver Dam Brook) be off limits?  Just something to think about. 

gambler that is a very intriguing idea and very reasonably thought out which unfortunatly is not something that NY is known for.  it would be nice to see greater DEC presense but that is probably not going to happen anytime soon with our current budget.  there are special regulations all over the state for differnet fisherys and the precedence in the streams is already there to have special regs in certian sections. this combined with some key habitat restoration might be a way to win all the way around by protecting fish when they are most concentrated but also allowing for the promtion of trib fishing which brings a lot of money in and puts a lot of attention on fisherys and attention can be a good thing the squeaky wheel gets the greese. 

This is why people should attend meetings like the ones dec just had on the finger lakes. I know not everyone can make it due to their schedules but this topic was discussed at the meeting. This comes up every spring with people calling for closing the tribs, catch and release, lowering limits, etc. the number of young of year rainbows is not a lot different than it has been in the past so there are enough adult rainbows spawning successfully in the tribs. As mentioned in a previous post there is a lack of habitat for yearlings in places like Catharine creek so that is something that could be worked on

Hopefully we get some major rain to make conditions a bit tougher and not a slaughter fest....

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The Force is Strong with this One...

(The best movie ever when I was 7.) :)

Oh I've been doing some major rain dancing the last two weeks. We got a mix of rain and snow but it should do the trick... Lol... May the Force be with you...

Mike

Edited by Iron Duke

My kid will be with me tomorrow, so unfortunately my uncanny abilities of telling $hitbag anglers what I think of them, and their grandpappi is not gonna happen. Although that don't mean I can't bring another party along and have them earmuff him. FYI I HAVE personally spoke with dec streamside, I WAS clearly told an angler is allowed 1 hookset per drift. I told them it's kinda odd they get a bite EVRRY DRIFT FOR 100 DRIFTS.... I also have called the tippdec line when I seen guys putting on a drive. Can't stop them, as they're are no laws saying one cannot walk down the CENTER of the stream, or in the major holding areas. I pop the @&$" OFF on those ppl. But, the boy is getting bigger, and daddy has to be daddy. So I HAVE to be blind the the $hitbirds. More than 1 on a rope, then little man is going to sit on a log 50yds downstream and that'll be taken care of...

Oh I've been doing some major rain dancing the last two weeks. We got a mix of rain and snow but it should do the trick... Lol... May the Force be with you...

Mike

Rest in peace Mike... 

My kid will be with me tomorrow, so unfortunately my uncanny abilities of telling $hitbag anglers what I think of them, and their grandpappi is not gonna happen. Although that don't mean I can't bring another party along and have them earmuff him. FYI I HAVE personally spoke with dec streamside, I WAS clearly told an angler is allowed 1 hookset per drift. I told them it's kinda odd they get a bite EVRRY DRIFT FOR 100 DRIFTS.... I also have called the tippdec line when I seen guys putting on a drive. Can't stop them, as they're are no laws saying one cannot walk down the CENTER of the stream, or in the major holding areas. I pop the @&$" OFF on those ppl. But, the boy is getting bigger, and daddy has to be daddy. So I HAVE to be blind the the $hitbirds. More than 1 on a rope, then little man is going to sit on a log 50yds downstream and that'll be taken care of...

If they are doing a lawful thing ( one rip or a fish drive) and you start heckling them you can be arrested for harassing a sportsman. Also there are more people now then ever who conceal carry even while fishing, being a loudmouth or a tough guy is going to get you in trouble or worse. Mind your own business or call them in and take a little video to show the officer. I don't know you and you don't know me but I can assure you if you thought I was doing something wrong and physically attacked me you would probably never do it again to anybody

If they are doing a lawful thing ( one rip or a fish drive) and you start heckling them you can be arrested for harassing a sportsman. Also there are more people now then ever who conceal carry even while fishing, being a loudmouth or a tough guy is going to get you in trouble or worse. Mind your own business or call them in and take a little video to show the officer. I don't know you and you don't know me but I can assure you if you thought I was doing something wrong and physically attacked me you would probably never do it again to anybody

Think you missed the "point"....

The point is that it's only a fish it's not worth it to confront someone. Just call them in and snap a nice little video, although the fines seem insignificant once they get caught twice their fishing liscence is revoked and when they get caught that third time the fines are going to get real hefty

Hello,

I fish rivers and lakes but I am new to stream trout fishing.  I am curious as what the comments of "good year for fisherman, bad year for trout" and "with water conditions the way they are many rainbows will not see the lake again" mean?  Any help would be appreciated.  In addition I agree that everybody should follow all rules regardless if they agree or not. Not saying I am special or anything but I practice the CPR (catch,photograph,release) ethic because of preservation and because these magnificent and beautiful fish deserve to live on. Even as a newbie I wouldn't mind seeing these tributaries catch and release only for rainbow.  Preserving these fisheries for future generations is an absolute priority.

Good luck and tight lines!

(Go Cowboys!!)

A good year for trout means higher water levels and less clarity therefore targeting the spawning trout becomes more difficult especially for lifters. In a perfect world maybe we would leave the trout alone to spawn the same way we do for walleye, but then shore guys wouldnt get much opportunity to fish for them. Its not just a matter of catch and release as that can be worse than snagging 1 and going home. In the end we have to share and hope the DEC can manage the fishery, and being an angler diary cooperator helps.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app