IF this would happen to Lake Erie... problem for Ontario too

Sk8man

Do you think the colder and wide daily/weekly variation of temps are conducive to this species? Other than a reduction of the nutrient rich water coming from Erie, is this a real or perceived problem? I don't know those answers, which is why I ask.

Wasn't there a disease running through the carp population a few years back?  Couldn't they use the disease to wipe some of them out?  There has to be a way to get rid of them. 

It might be too dangerous to do that. It does affect some other important fish by weakening them. I think there is also the possibility of it mutating into a more dangerous strain.

There has to be a way to rid the River of carp.  Man has wiped out species before we should be able to do it again.  We created this problem.  We should fix it before it gets even worse. 

Yeah Brian perhaps we should just tell  the Chinese that they have aphrodisiac properties and they would disappear like the Black Rhino and elephants :lol:

The reason the LOC Derby did away with Lake Trout division in the fall is to make room for a flying carp division.

If the carp make it here, the lake trout and browns might be the only things left......

I have always wonder why states don't get out their shock boats helping clear out the carp.Even dragging nets would get a bunch...With today's technology you would think there is an answer or his the environmentalist having some say on this ? 

I found this paper that was published last year that I think the author based the article on.

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2014/20140041.pdf

It uses a computer model called Structured Expert Judgement (SEJ) which combines the judgements of multiple experts with varying backgrounds to try to create an unbiased result. The only thing is, the purpose was only to forecast the impact of asian carp on Lake Erie and their impact on only 4 species of fish in the lake. They are yellow perch, walleye, rainbow smelt and gizzard shad. It looks like SEJ model concluded that they will have a relatively small impact on the biomass of those species. I didn't read through all the data that was compiled and weighted so I will not make any comments on it except that it is all subject to and limited by the selection of variables that are used and there are many variables which cannot all be taken into consideration.

I did read near the end of the Problem Statement that a few Bighead Carp have been captured in western Lake Erie but I haven't seen anything saying that they are reproducing there yet. It seems like it may be just a matter of time. What I don't understand is how they actually got there. I have not heard of any evidence of them in Lake Michigan, Lake Huron or Lake St. Clair. I wonder if blocking off the great lakes from the Mississippi R. would have even stopped them. Maybe the fry are hitch-hiking on birds.

Maybe if they employed IBM's Watson they could come up with more certain conclusions and figure out an effective plan. It would really suck to have to go slow so you don't get knocked out by a fish.

Edited by muskiedreams

Now perhaps it was just hearsay, but I was always under the impression that these carp need big, free flowing rivers at least 50 miles long for their eggs to successfully gestate and hatch.  That is why they do so well in the Mississippi River system (and tributary rivers).  Rivers of those dimensions and characteristics are few and far between in the Great Lakes Basin, so even when they get here, I'm not sure that they will be able to reproduce significantly.

Perhaps my information is wrong, but if that is in fact, the case, this "crisis" may be overblown.

Don't sell the boats just yet guys, this situation is far from played out.

Tim

I believe you are correct, sir. And, I believe they are a filter feeding fish that rely on the current to feed them with plankton. Seems it may be overblown a bit. Not that they aren't still a big problem though...