Spin Doctor versus Pro troll E chip

Spin Doctor versus Pro troll E chip

Just curious guys. I have always had better luck trolling Spin Doctors with Atommik flies for kings. I have caught very few on the pro troll E chips. Does anyone else have the same luck or am I doing something wrong with the E chips??  I try to notice what the charter boats are using but it seems to be a about a 50/50 split on what they are using. Just curious what everyone else does.

I run a mix of both. Though the last few years I've been catching more on pro-trolls. Though a few spin doctor colors work better than the same pattern in pro-troll. Just weird really. I know guys that won't run spin doctors on down riggers just on dipsey's.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Myself last year was my first real season. Ran a spin doctor every time out either with meat or fly never turned a fish ran on mag dipsys. Thought it was color don't have a clue all my fish were caught on echips and one on a spoon. Couldn't catch a cold on them either.

The nice thing i find about the e chip is u can run them a lil slower then the spin docotors some times that makes or breaks a day. 

I usually mix them up (flashers with and without echips), spinneys, and the older dodgers and I let the fish decide. I don't think there is a hard fast rule as I have caught fish on each. In my view it may be the particular action of one or the other at that particular time with that particular fish that seems to be the determining factor. There are just too many variables involved to really say one way of the other.I also think that whatever may have worked for someone in the past  may influence the amount of time any one thing may be used so it may not a fair comparison between the options anyway. As mentioned above I have had better luck over time with all of them run off wire and dipseys rather than off downriggrers.

Edited by Sk8man

Protrolls are little more noisy than spin docs. They have a metal grommet where the rear swivel is plus the clicking of the  Echip. When kings start getting more aggressive in late July the protrolls come out. Because they are a little more noisy I will run longer leaders 30-35" mostly. Spin docs on my rods now. 

They each work on days when an attractor is working. Equally in my experience. Depends on what you put behind them too. Like Les mentioned, a lot of variables to think about. Some times neither will work, but I think the more aggressive the fish mood, the more each work. I run 90% attractors on junk lines, and maybe one on a downrigger. Usually too much commotion in a downrigger set with balls and other lures, so if I run one, it will be on about 50 to 75 foot lead from the balls and deeper by 10 to 20 feet or more than other sets on a center rigger.

Money doesn't buy happiness,
but it does buy horsepower....
I've never seen a sad person in a boat haulin' A$$...!

3 hours ago, skipper19 said:

They each work on days when an attractor is working. Equally in my experience. Depends on what you put behind them too. Like Les mentioned, a lot of variables to think about. Some times neither will work, but I think the more aggressive the fish mood, the more each work. I run 90% attractors on junk lines, and maybe one on a downrigger. Usually too much commotion in a downrigger set with balls and other lures, so if I run one, it will be on about 50 to 75 foot lead from the balls and deeper by 10 to 20 feet or more than other sets on a center rigger.

I run 3 riggers in the summer. Outside riggers both have spin doctors and flies. Middle rigger has a clean spoon tail gunning . I double up quite often on both riggers with the flies. I think running 2 flasher/flies on riggers really brings them into the spread. I can watch them on my sonar streak up into my pattern.  If i'm fishing 90' or deeper I run 15' leads of the torpedo weights. Spin doctor/Atommik run off of wire dypsies is killer on my boat in the summer. If its slow I will run two coppers of the boards and mix spoons and flies with them.

I have heard of boats running 4 riggers with all flasher/flies that do really well. I guess it all comes down to what you feel confident in running. But its great to hear on here what everybody else is running.!!

I run them both and let the fish tell me what the want. 

I like the fish to tell me what they want too....before I give them what they don't want! Lol... only guarantee is if you put it in the water, it's gonna get wet[emoji108][emoji108][emoji108]