Dead bass

Kevin J Legg

Early Sunday morning when I returned from walleye fishing to the Keewayden ramp I was disappointing to see about a dozen dead bass floating along the shoreline. Pretty obvious that there was a tournament and those fish were casualties. What a waste and a black eye for the tournament fishermen.

Guess they better learn to properly fizz or not fish the deeper water.

Thank God they're not in Waddington again this year.  The majority of the bass that got weighed in the past couple times were caught all the way down past Henderson Harbor and out into the lake.  All that expended fuel, all those dead fish and for what?  Last time they were in Waddington, they trashed the place, left many dead and dying fish floating around the docks.  Hopefully they aren't going to be back up here for a while.

Not a fan.

Yet this very site is packed full of fishermen that live and breathe fishing  tournaments of all types, and participate in every one they can with great  anticipation.. Get hundreds of  very good fishermen out there for days at a time, all  hooking  and handling a ton of fish, and you get lots and lots of dead fish.. pretty simple really.  I would  hope some of the "competitive fishermen" out there might re think their love to compete for a very vulnerable resource .  The fish  simply have few and fewer places to hide in the modern age of ultra high tech everything and are as fragile as ever.......

8 hours ago, Grady95 said:

Thank God they're not in Waddington again this year.  The majority of the bass that got weighed in the past couple times were caught all the way down past Henderson Harbor and out into the lake.  All that expended fuel, all those dead fish and for what?  Last time they were in Waddington, they trashed the place, left many dead and dying fish floating around the docks.  Hopefully they aren't going to be back up here for a while.

Not a fan.

I saw on the news there is a very big tournament at Wadington this weekend. Just not the Elite. Many major tournaments and club tournaments all summer long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  Early Sunday morning when I returned from walleye fishing to the Keewayden ramp I was disappointing to see about a dozen dead bass floating along the shoreline. Pretty obvious that there was a tournament and those fish were casualties. What a waste and a black eye for the tournament fishermen.
  Guess they better learn to properly fizz or not fish the deeper water.

I'm not sure if your referring too local tourney anglers, open, or elite series. However I will say the MLF system of weight record & release is a conservation policy that's effective. I see Bassmaster did it once this year. Mostly because much of their tourneys are shallower fisheries. Be nice if the rules were changed or if a short seminar was done to teach fizzing. Especially in Northern fisheries. The tournament organizers and officials should be on top of this. The kayak anglers use aluminum rulers and take pictures. Honestly, it sounds to me the organizers are at fault, or at least should be responsible for suitable score rules

Sent from my SM-T720 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

6 hours ago, moonfish said:

I'm not sure if your referring too local tourney anglers, open, or elite series. However I will say the MLF system of weight record & release is a conservation policy that's effective. I see Bassmaster did it once this year. Mostly because much of their tourneys are shallower fisheries. Be nice if the rules were changed or if a short seminar was done to teach fizzing. Especially in Northern fisheries. The tournament organizers and officials should be on top of this. The kayak anglers use aluminum rulers and take pictures. Honestly, it sounds to me the organizers are at fault, or at least should be responsible for suitable score rules

Sent from my SM-T720 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It may be a depth/swim bladder issue, but several studies show fizzing isn't very effective. The biggest issue is the fish are beat to death in the live well. A 1-2 hour ride at 70 mph ride over 2-3 foot waves would beat the life out of anything. They need to limit how far the anglers can travel. What makes the difference if you win the tournament with 10 lbs of fish or 25? A win is a win. A live well full of 5 lbers makes for better photo ops than 2 lbers. Again, its about the money.

Saw a bunch of them headed out of town this morning along Rt 37.  Saw some out fishing near Blind Bay and Chippewa yesterday.

Heading out tonight to fish.  I'll let you know if they're gone.  They're worse than mosquitos.  At least with mosquitos I can put on some bug spray.

Yeah these tourneys are so old school its ridiculous. At least the Major League fishing (MLF) guys weigh them in the boat and immediate release. If any part of the fish touches the boat they get penalized. That makes so much more sense. Bassmaster just doesnt get it. Probably why all the top pros left to go to MLF. These weekly tourneys are ruining the river and yes running 70 miles in a livewell all day and then released 70 miles from where they came from is putting a hurting on the fish. Also why do they pick a time when the fish are deep 30+ to have a tourney? Fizzing cant be good for them either, sticking needles in them. Its really sickening to me. What a horror seeing all these beautiful bass dead floating. Now with live scoping (cheating to me) its only gonna get worse as they catch even more. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/1/2022 at 2:31 PM, chasen fish said:

Most  of these bass tournament fisherpersons only care about making money and not the bass.

This is true for any derby. The finger lakes get hit hard all spring , summer long .  Most Anglers look to give away the fish they kept for their box . Someone usually takes  donations of fish from Anglers least they are not going to waste I hope.