A couple of guys and I went out in an 18 foot boat saturday and found the honey hole of fish in 120 fow around 7am but unfortunately the wind rocked us all over before we could get more than 2 lines in the water. Based on last trip getting beaten by wind, my conclusion is that in shore fishing in spring for brown trout in 50 fow or less and mid to late september spawn season for kings is the best option to be able to handle lake O in an 18 ft boat. Any additional thoughts are appreciated.

26 minutes ago, Fly n Fish said:

Normally this time year the winds are out of the SW and lite.  This year is a different story heavy north winds constantly.  I fishing out of an 18' boat for years all seasons its just all about picking your days.  

Fishing out of a 17 ft. aluminum Starcraft since 1996... pick your days, watch the wind.  My opinion, there are always fish to be had inside 150 ft. of water... brown trout along with lakers and kings mixed in close to bottom in the colder water.  We have to change tactics and presentations to match conditions. I've fished out to 600ft. in my little tin boat, and been blown off the lake on a 10 meter Trojan....  wind speed direction make my decisions for me.

https://www.windfinder.com/#10/39.5000/-98.3500

Size of boat can become irrelevant. For years I fished out in the 600-700 ft area in my 13 ft. Boston Whaler but it was all dependent on conditions and there were times when the weather report suggested it would be good only to find when i got there to the lake....impossible conditions to go out at all. One particular time I was out in the deep stuff and a storm came out of nowhere  from the west with lightening and huge waves building and raining like hell. It had been beautiful all morning too. When I finally reached the channel all the big boats were struggling to get back in the 12 ft. waves. The people on the Sodus Point pier were clapping and cheering me on as it probably looked to them that I was in someones dingy:lol: I had about 8 inches of water in the boat from the rain but I made it in (white knuckles and all) but it was a huge lesson to me as even the 32 ft or larger boats were in just as much trouble as me getting back in.  You have to choose your conditions no matter what sized boat but keep in mind regardless that the weather out there comes with no guarantee and can change quickly. 

• Like 1

I have brought myself in during 4 foot waves in my 16 foot Smokercraft twice.  Don't want to be over-dramatic.  But I remember thinking that I went out to have fun, not to find myself in a fight for my life.  That makes me very prudent in choosing when to go out and when to come back in.

All I fish out of is my 18 ft Alumacraft out there and we beat the kings up pretty good. I don’t ever test the lake though. 2ft or less is my threshold. I almost never challenge a 1-3 forecast and I certainly don’t push beyond that. 

Can’t say I’ve ever been caught in a weather event, as we are just that careful. Fishing to me is never worth worrying about sinking or dying. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, idn713 said:

All I fish out of is my 18 ft Alumacraft out there and we beat the kings up pretty good. I don’t ever test the lake though. 2ft or less is my threshold. I almost never challenge a 1-3 forecast and I certainly don’t push beyond that. 

Can’t say I’ve ever been caught in a weather event, as we are just that careful. Fishing to me is never worth worrying about sinking or dying. 

Thanks for the 1-3 mph wind threshold. Sound like it has to be glasslike to no wind to comfortably venture out deep beyond shore

2 minutes ago, SmokeyNBandit90 said:

Thanks for the 1-3 mph wind threshold. Sound like it has to be glasslike to no wind to comfortably venture out deep beyond shore

Yeah, that is smart. For the 400 - 500 ft trips, I like the 1ft or less forecast. Just too far is something goes wrong. You can def fish 100 - 200 in 1-3ft forecast though. We have done that quite a bit and its not the most amazing thing ever, but I never felt in danger.

7 minutes ago, idn713 said:

Yeah, that is smart. For the 400 - 500 ft trips, I like the 1ft or less forecast. Just too far is something goes wrong. You can def fish 100 - 200 in 1-3ft forecast though. We have done that quite a bit and its not the most amazing thing ever, but I never felt in danger.

Oh ok 1 -3 ft waves. Thought you meant wind mph

18.5 footer for me.  Good advice above.  I think the most useful weather data is which way the forecast says the wind/waves will go throughout the day.  If it says its going to build throughout the morning and it starts to get a little spicy think of heading in or fishing close to port.  If its a little spicy and the forecast says its going to calm down then Im more likely to go for it.  Wind speed doesnt really matter as much as direction as mentioned above.

Example: A couple of weeks ago I was fishing out of Sandy. Wind finder app said it was going to be flat and that the wind was going to shift around 10am with waves increasing as a result.  Other weather apps seemed to suggest the same.  Got out there and it was bumpy but fishable.  (not flat calm at all)  Sure enough, the wind shifted around 10 and it got pretty spicy shortly thereafter.  We were prepared and were right in front of the creek so not a huge deal.  Puling in gear was not fun as we fished until the last minute but nothing unsafe.  If we were out a few more miles and fished another 30 minutes it would not have been cool at all.  Probably wouldnt have been in any serious danger but I dont really want to beat up my old boat or myself.

Unfortunately we have to be prepared to get to the dock and turn around if the weather isnt as expected.  Ive had to do this once this year when predicted 1 footers were white caps and 4 footers.

I started with my 19 foot smokercraft, then 24 wellcraft, then 26 foot pennyann yan intruder,, had some scary times in 19 footer and will never fish with it again farther than a couple miles out...the level of safety and piece of mind in my 26 footer is no comparison. I no longer am hypnotized by watching waves build..but then again I'm not the most risky guy out there....some people are really good at it though,,,example,,,last year during the Oswego pro am the tournament was postponed because of a small craft advisory,,,when they lifted it the tournament started,,waves were big still and a team in a 18 footer won the tournament,,I was amazed and impressed and no way I would have been out there in an 18 footer

• Like 2

Here is another thing to think about ....all of the above depends on your motor running:o once that is not the case you are pretty much screwed no matter the size of boat and at the mercy of Lake Ontario and Mother Nature both of whom can be merciless and unforgiving of mistakes or foolhardiness. There are times out there when even having a kicker is not necessarily going to save you either.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sk8man said:

Size of boat can become irrelevant. For years I fished out in the 600-700 ft area in my 13 ft. Boston Whaler but it was all dependent on conditions and there were times when the weather report suggested it would be good only to find when i got there to the lake....impossible conditions to go out at all. One particular time I was out in the deep stuff and a storm came out of nowhere  from the west with lightening and huge waves building and raining like hell. It had been beautiful all morning too. When I finally reached the channel all the big boats were struggling to get back in the 12 ft. waves. The people on the Sodus Point pier were clapping and cheering me on as it probably looked to them that I was in someones dingy:lol: I had about 8 inches of water in the boat from the rain but I made it in (white knuckles and all) but it was a huge lesson to me as even the 32 ft or larger boats were in just as much trouble as me getting back in.  You have to choose your conditions no matter what sized boat but keep in mind regardless that the weather out there comes with no guarantee and can change quickly. 

I remember something similar when I was mating on a boat in sodus. Dead flat when we went out but turned to 10' waves in a hurry. Makes for a interesting run in. Been out in my 16' tracker in 3's but that's all I would recommend. Pick your days and it's a non issue. Trouble is work/family come first so the days are limited. Setting lines in 3's can be a challenge with low sides, just need to be carefull

There is really a lot of good advice here and it’s always an interesting topic to ask about!

I think if you “track” your fishing results, loosely, keep it simple, you will find that when your fishing good, reasonably calm lake, real 2’ or less conditions with light wind speeds, able to change baits easily, keep lines straight behind boat, troll in all directions and use your electronics effectively your catch rate per hour will be way higher than when it’s windy and/or rough. 

When you hit those good weather days you will know it and your catch rate will show it!

• Like 2

I fish out of a 24ft WA boat built for the ocean and I won't fish anything beyond a 1-3 forecast. Even that has me slight apprehensive because I have seen it end up being much worse than forecasted more often than not (not to mention I drive an hour each way to my boat). My boat could easily and I'm sure safely handle more than that, but I fish for fun. I want to be comfortable and enjoy my time on the water, I'm not looking to go out and get beat up.

Edited by FishingFool34

Thanks all, one possible related question is i had 1 line on a downrigger and when the winds came i pulled it back up and got the unpleasant surprise of the worst line twist ive ever seen. I had a flasher spoon on with barrel swivels at every connection point so i can only hypothersize the waves had to be the cause. Any other reasons?

Good forum.  Whenever I see the tree in my backyard sway back and forth by the wind, I just know it that it is not the day to venture out. Wind is not your friend. Stay safe and you will get to fish for another day!

23 minutes ago, SmokeyNBandit90 said:

Thanks all, one possible related question is i had 1 line on a downrigger and when the winds came i pulled it back up and got the unpleasant surprise of the worst line twist ive ever seen. I had a flasher spoon on with barrel swivels at every connection point so i can only hypothersize the waves had to be the cause. Any other reasons?

Something probably got tangled on the way down like your spoon catching the line attached to your clip on the way down.  If that happened your swivels won't help. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 13owhunter said:

Something probably got tangled on the way down like your spoon catching the line attached to your clip on the way down.  If that happened your swivels won't help. 

Interesting you point to the spoon getting snagged bc it was snagged on thr line right where the flasher was

5 hours ago, Sk8man said:

12 foot waves in a 13 foot boat? That's almost unbelievable.

I fish out of I-Bay and I don't trust the NWS NOAA wave forecast anymore.  I check the Forest Lawn Beach webcam on WeatherBug to verify.  It's close enough to I-Bay to see what the lake is really like.  Of course 2' waves can look smaller from the perch the camera is on, so look at the video carefully.

I swear to God it is true. I used to go out in the shipping lanes (when younger and more foolish:lol:) and the big ocean going rigs crew would laugh and make the "crazy" signs with their hands....once I saw a 23 ft Outrage Whaler was one of the boats 'dingy" so I did feel a bit "inadequate" at that point:lol:. I've had a n 18 1/2 ft Whaler for the past 22 years and although that boat can take just about anything most freshwater situations present I don't take chances anymore especially when you think about the potential motor problems etc. despite having a kicker. That situation made me realize just how "vulnerable' you can be out there no matter what. 

The currents can be very mixed down there and combined with turns etc. could explain the twisted line on the rigger.

Another point is that despite the online predictions from the buoys being useful you can usually double the number for the wave heights.

Edited by Sk8man

2 hours ago, BreakingBass said:

I fish out of I-Bay and I don't trust the NWS NOAA wave forecast anymore.  I check the Forest Lawn Beach webcam on WeatherBug to verify.  It's close enough to I-Bay to see what the lake is really like.  Of course 2' waves can look smaller from the perch the camera is on, so look at the video carefully.

I was fishing sodus bay so information is not quite as easily available and no tributaries. Does I Bay and genesee river help mitigate waves in 100 fow or less?