Legacy -The 2023 Deer Season-

Legacy

Saw one buck today. The good news is I saw a 25 bird flock of turkeys that lived under my stand for 15 minutes. I have awesome footage on my phone to relive the sounds of turkeys. I haven’t hunted turkeys in ten years due to low numbers so good to see them in that capacity 

• Like 3

Shot a doe yesterday and had something crazy happen.  I watched her fall 50-60 yds from the stand.  After a while, a nice buck came over and preceded to beat the sh*t out of her!  He gored her in the neck and kept kicking here ripping the fur off of her side.  After he left, small bucks came over and wouldn’t leave her alone.  I guess this is what happens when a doe doesn’t put out!  

IMG_5317.jpeg

2 hours ago, whaler1 said:

Had the pleasure of finding a tick imbedded in my stomach this morning yuk. Guess I need to go to the Dr’s tomorrow and get doxycycline. WTF

I’ve had many attached on me and I believe that if you remove them within 24 hours of attaching the risk of any tick borne disease is very low. So I believe an engorged tick would be the reason to scramble to the doctor, not a newly attached one. 

Also I believe you would just monitor for symptoms and watch the bite site for the telltale bullseye (not always present with all Lyme cases). 

Honestly I might ask the doctor to run a blood test for Lyme the next time I do blood work. I’ve had some odd nerve issues for years and I’ve wondered if Lyme might be at the bottom of it. That said I also did a round of antibiotics for a bite that did have the bullseye rash. So who knows. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HOLY DIVER said:

Gambler,   i too have witnessed this same phenomenon years ago.  The buck was so aggressive and violent I was scared to get down I'd never seen anything like it and will never forget it! 

I tried to get him to come a little closer to get a shot! The first buck wanted nothing to do with me.  He could have cared less at the calls.  

3 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Shot a doe yesterday and had something crazy happen.  I watched her fall 50-60 yds from the stand.  After a while, a nice buck came over and preceded to beat the sh*t out of her!  He gored her in the neck and kept kicking here ripping the fur off of her side.  After he left, small bucks came over and wouldn’t leave her alone.  I guess this is what happens when a doe doesn’t put out!  

IMG_5317.jpeg

That's why I don't shoot doe this time of year she is your calling card

7 hours ago, whaler1 said:

Had the pleasure of finding a tick imbedded in my stomach this morning yuk. Guess I need to go to the Dr’s tomorrow and get doxycycline. WTF

I pulled one out of my side last weekend, I didn't do anything about it, maybe I shoulda......

One of my best stands is in a tree that is infested with "little fuzzy jumping spiders" year after year.  I just got used to them crawling all over me after a few sits and noticed a deer tick on my hand a couple days ago in the same stand.  Now everything I can feel crawling on me or itch I have is a tick as far as my brain is concerned. Help!

Edited by 13owhunter

I pulled at least twenty off the dog yesterday, including one embedded in his belly, after hiking the hills above Canadice. I can't believe how bad they are this year. I've never had a tick on me once in the years we've owned land on the West side, and I work outside with a chainsaw year round. And yet Brian picked five off his clothes last week there. It's Tickagheddon.

Went to the Dr this morning. She dug the ticks head out of my stomach and prescribed doxycycline. She said 30% of deer ticks carry Lyme disease. She also said they usually need to be attached for 48 hours to transmit the virus. Probably wouldn’t have been an issue but Lyme disease can ruin your life. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, reeleyz said:

Gambler

Looks like you need to get the doe to drop in a shooting lane next time.

I had a small buck keep stepping on a dead doe several years ago. He didn’t really beat on her. He was more like “wake up, I’m ready!”

I’ve had the same thing happen