Legacy -The 2023 Deer Season-

Legacy

November 20 am

22 degrees

Frosty

Partly sunny

Calm wind

Picture perfect morning to be in the deer woods. Cold. Hard frost. Calm wind. Perfect. My morning had a decent amount of action with lots of bucks cruising. 14 does/fawns and 8 bucks seen. Of the 8 bucks 3 of them were matures including a giant 8 pt. 

At about 8ish I spotted a big stud 8pt about 200 yards away. He quickly sent checked the does in front of him and moved on. Right behind him was a younger, decent buck but that seemed to be just following him around. I grunted a couple times but I'm guessing they just cruised past me in the thick stuff. About 10 minutes went by and a doe fawn popped out of the woods and then a mature doe. It was obvious they were bumped. My guess was by the two bucks I just saw. The doe and fawn were acting nervous and I was begging for another showing from the big 8. Unfortunately two young bucks from opposite directions show up and the doe and fawn quickly escape from their harassment. I watch as all the deer seem to go their separate ways and the woods goes quiet again. I'm still focused on the woods out in front of me when I hear the scuffle of leaves next to me. I turn my head expecting to see a squirrel and to my surprise this 11 point is 5 yards from me. He somehow snuck in on my blind spot and I quickly made the decision to shoot. Thankfully my gun was already in my lap (from all the previous action). I raised the gun only to realize I could find the deer in the scope. I quickly turned the power all the way down and found him in the scope. I gave him a quick mouth grunt to stop him in an opening in the thick stuff and squeezed the trigger. He quickly exited and I honestly thought for a second that I missed. His reaction to the shot didn't seem like much. I gave it about 30 minutes and got down to see if I could find blood and it was every where. I could see a blood trail going down the deer trail like someone threw red paint in the woods. I walked out and gave it two hours and returned with my kid. The blood trailing was easy and the deer was piled within 65 yards from my tree. One lung and heart shot.

IMG_20231120_094959823.jpg

received_3716627901889306~2.jpeg

received_1409363516659008.jpeg

• Like 15

My daughter got it done again in Ohio.  She had ankle surgery October 16th so we were not sure if she was going to be ready.  Took us about 30 mins to get to the blind.  Hot settled in about 45 minutes before legal shooting and she decided to take a nap.  Saw a doe scoot through a little before 7.  Not long after my daughter sees a deer and quickly identifies its a buck.  I finally see it and it's a shooter.  I stop it and she can't get on him.  We dial up the scope and I stopped him again.  As she's getting on him I'm thinking she's going to shoot the blind.  I reach to try and pull her over to get away from the blind and she shoots.  I wasn't ready for the shot and wasn't looking at the deer so I have no clue if she hit him.  It's was about 150 yards and we know the gun is dialed in.  She said she was on him so she was confident.  We wait for the guides to show up before looking.  Initially was looking down further than he was because of the golden rod was so high.   Our guide Logan found him and he only went 40 yards.  She split the heart and clipped a lung.  Best hunt of the year!

71836.jpeg

71844.jpeg

71757.jpeg

FB_IMG_1700326467418.jpg

• Like 12

9 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Congrats Rob!  You and Hunter are having awesome seasons this 

3 hours ago, Legacy said:

November 20 am

22 degrees

Frosty

Partly sunny

Calm wind

Picture perfect morning to be in the deer woods. Cold. Hard frost. Calm wind. Perfect. My morning had a decent amount of action with lots of bucks cruising. 14 does/fawns and 8 bucks seen. Of the 8 bucks 3 of them were matures including a giant 8 pt. 

At about 8ish I spotted a big stud 8pt about 200 yards away. He quickly sent checked the does in front of him and moved on. Right behind him was a younger, decent buck but that seemed to be just following him around. I grunted a couple times but I'm guessing they just cruised past me in the thick stuff. About 10 minutes went by and a doe fawn popped out of the woods and then a mature doe. It was obvious they were bumped. My guess was by the two bucks I just saw. The doe and fawn were acting nervous and I was begging for another showing from the big 8. Unfortunately two young bucks from opposite directions show up and the doe and fawn quickly escape from their harassment. I watch as all the deer seem to go their separate ways and the woods goes quiet again. I'm still focused on the woods out in front of me when I hear the scuffle of leaves next to me. I turn my head expecting to see a squirrel and to my surprise this 11 point is 5 yards from me. He somehow snuck in on my blind spot and I quickly made the decision to shoot. Thankfully my gun was already in my lap (from all the previous action). I raised the gun only to realize I could find the deer in the scope. I quickly turned the power all the way down and found him in the scope. I gave him a quick mouth grunt to stop him in an opening in the thick stuff and squeezed the trigger. He quickly exited and I honestly thought for a second that I missed. His reaction to the shot didn't seem like much. I gave it about 30 minutes and got down to see if I could find blood and it was every where. I could see a blood trail going down the deer trail like someone threw red paint in the woods. I walked out and gave it two hours and returned with my kid. The blood trailing was easy and the deer was piled within 65 yards from my tree. One lung and heart shot.

IMG_20231120_094959823.jpg

received_3716627901889306~2.jpeg

received_1409363516659008.jpeg

Congratulations again brother!!!! Again 

Congratulations! Rob will be proud...she kept a straight face for photos lol. I love the whole Dad panicking to make sure all the ducks are in a row and the kid just getting it done. Been there. Big trust builder.

Edited by Gator
  • Like 1