This should make everyone angry!!

Morgan-E

Well, I thought that the exploitation of the salmon under the guise of ceremonial practices might be over with no new reports of spearing over the weekend, but as of 5:15AM this morning there were nets strung across the river at Pineville and three drift boats could not launch until the nets were moved.  The nets were being manned by a group that were described as looking like the same group of people who had been spearing the salmon.

DEC was notified as well ad prominent politicians who are trying to help preserve the resource for everyone.  Remember that the DEC's new management strategy is to depend on the natural reproduction as the primary source of Pacific salmon and that the hatchery will supplement those numbers on a one year lag system.  What is done this spawning season will directly affect the return three and four years form now. 

The reality is that this action impacts the Indian's community as much as it impacts you.

It is a dis-honor to his fellow community members, who will also suffer from a lack of fish in 3 years from now.

What right does he have to do this to his own community members?

This is something that should be taken up with the local Indian leaders ... this isn't about (just) us ... and the impact on us,

but the impact on everyone, it's nature ... and what right does anyone have to abuse it ... and spoil it for everyone else?

• Like 1

This looks to me like the Natives are making a statement about something . I remember a while back of tires being burned on the Thruway  south of Buffalo where it crosses Natives land over revenue sharing or something   . I haven't heard of any  of this being a problem in the past on the Salmon or anywhere else .

Can't blame the Dems for the Lake trout . But we sure can for the rest of the Dumpster fire we see everyday in this State and Country . It's a **** show on steroids and who's in charge? 

23 hours ago, Morgan-E said:

Well, I thought that the exploitation of the salmon under the guise of ceremonial practices might be over with no new reports of spearing over the weekend, but as of 5:15AM this morning there were nets strung across the river at Pineville and three drift boats could not launch until the nets were moved.  The nets were being manned by a group that were described as looking like the same group of people who had been spearing the salmon.

DEC was notified as well ad prominent politicians who are trying to help preserve the resource for everyone.  Remember that the DEC's new management strategy is to depend on the natural reproduction as the primary source of Pacific salmon and that the hatchery will supplement those numbers on a one year lag system.  What is done this spawning season will directly affect the return three and four years form now. 

The dec's strategy is not changing to rely on wild reproduction of chinooks to support the fishery. Stocking numbers are adjusted accordingly depending on bait levels and estimates of natural reproduction of chinooks but the fishery is still reliant on stocking. 

14 minutes ago, Corey said:

The dec's strategy is not changing to rely on wild reproduction of chinooks to support the fishery. Stocking numbers are adjusted accordingly depending on bait levels and estimates of natural reproduction of chinooks but the fishery is still reliant on stocking. 

For those who do not like to read too much, I bolded some of the key points.  Try to attend the meeting at the Salmon River Fish Hatchery on October 18th to learn more about this new management plan and other aspects of the hatchery and the fishery.

This is not meant to be a dig on anyone, as most people are unaware of how the new plan is going to work.

It has in fact changed for the management of kings.  If you read the new management strategy they are looking at continuing to balance baitfish and prey fish, but how they are doing it has / is drastically changing with the use of mitochondrial DNA being used to determine the percentage of natural vs hatchery fish.  The idea behind it is that there is a lot of natural reproduction occurring mostly in the Salmon River, but also elsewhere in the lake and that in order to manage it properly a different approach was needed.  With the new "marking" technique they are able to try a different approach that supplements the natural reproduction.  The natural reproduction on a year to year basis is going to drive the number of fish stocked the following year.  What this means is that there will be a one year lag in the "balance" / number of fish being released by the hatchery.  This was acknowledged at the Spring meeting with DEC at the Mexico VFW in June.   The reason for the lag is in the data.  The bulk of the necessary data will be collected leading into the stripping period at the hatchery and by the time the data is compiled and analyzed the egg take will be over.  The numbers reared at the hatchery will be determined in most part by the prior years' numbers of stocked vs natural and if there are hinderances to the success of the natural reproduction of that class of fish (floods, droughts, temperature, people being allowed to behave poorly, egg quality, numbers of fish returning, etc...) it will impact the fishery 3-4 years out.  If the measured natural vs hatchery fish is very high and the numbers from the hatchery are adjusted down the impact of lower natural reproduction due to any of these reasons will be that much more drastic.  Out of those causes for lower natural reproduction failure, the only one that we can control is the activity of people and how we impact the system.

They asked that we, as fishermen, give them some time to work with this system so that they can work the "bugs" out to try to avoid a boom and bust scenario with the chinook fishery because of the new emphasis / reliance on the natural reproduction, which has a lot of uncertainty.

How it all works out in the years to come - it is a wait and see situation.

There is going to be a meeting open to the public on October 18th at the Salmon River Fish Hatchery at 7PM to get information on the salmon run, overall health of the salmon, preliminary data from studies, to discuss topics related to the hatchery and management plan with DEC biologists, etc...  This has always been a very informative and positive meeting for all who attend.  I am sure that they can explain it further at the meeting as the new plan is just that, "new".  Hope to see many of you there.

4 hours ago, HB2 said:

This looks to me like the Natives are making a statement about something . I remember a while back of tires being burned on the Thruway  south of Buffalo where it crosses Natives land over revenue sharing or something   . I haven't heard of any  of this being a problem in the past on the Salmon or anywhere else .

Can't blame the Dems for the Lake trout . But we sure can for the rest of the Dumpster fire we see everyday in this State and Country . It's a **** show on steroids and who's in charge? 

Congress is in charge, as always. You know, the people that refuse to do their job on a daily basis.

I know it's more fun to pin it on one person, but that's not the truth.

What IS new is people losing their minds about snagging on the Salmon River (which has been a thing since salmon were stocked) and yet will back a candidate facing 91 felonies. People are funny. 

We aren't talking about a few outlaws snagging fish here . This is  a group effort . And a statement in my opinion . 

Whats funny is that things have gotten so bad in the Dem party and this country  that the front runner for president is a guy with 91 felonies . Those " funny" people, or any true American,   sees exactly what is going on . Using the justice system to eliminate your political opposition? And some are OK with that ? What has this country become ? 

Go ahead and reelect Biden and ruin what's left of America. 

Back to the topic. Did anyone else read in the Sportsman News last week that the DEC has created an office of Indian Nation Affairs and a new position to interface with indigenous peoples? I'm in favor of being cognizant and respectful of native rights, but I hate to see our bureaucracy become even more bloated. Does this require a brand new office and appointments? It seems like part of the job description for existing positions. Meliora, I guess.

Edited by Gator

So how many laws does NYS have?  Which are regulations? Ordinances?  Not even going to guess at the Federal laws or treaties.  (Not to mention daily changes) Even though some people seem to think they know everything, I find that highly doubtful.